Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOG Winter Sale: Herve gives Bethesda one last middle finger, gives out Fallout Trilogy for free

Servo

Arcane
Wait, doesn't that make me kinda smart if I never read that other article :p

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But seriously, Fallout 3 was objectively fucking terrible compared to Fallout 1 and 2. There is no weaseling around that fact. It might be a decent hiking simulator (I wouldn't know) but as a Fallout sequel it is the second worst game in the franchise, and it only escapes being the worst because FOBOS exists.

Bilgefar

Savant
4. Intelligent, hairy deathclaws. Would't have minded the hairy (are they even the same animal?) but them being intelligent is highly canon-breaking.

Deathclaws were initially hairy in FO1. They removed the hair when it didn't render properly, so having them be hairy in FOT is a nod to the original design. Intelligent deathclaws were introduced in FO2, so even if you consider it canon-breaking I don't see how it can be an issue with FOT, since it's not the one that brought that to the series.

GOG Fallout versions are the shitty euro versions iirc. Remember to patch the kids in.

Only Fallout 1 is the euro version. Fallout 2 is glorious kwan version.

4. Intelligent, hairy deathclaws. Would't have minded the hairy (are they even the same animal?) but them being intelligent is highly canon-breaking.

Deathclaws were initially hairy in FO1. They removed the hair when it didn't render properly, so having them be hairy in FOT is a nod to the original design. Intelligent deathclaws were introduced in FO2, so even if you consider it canon-breaking I don't see how it can be an issue with FOT, since it's not the one that brought that to the series.

GOG Fallout versions are the shitty euro versions iirc. Remember to patch the kids in.

Only Fallout 1 is the euro version. Fallout 2 is glorious kwan version.

Yeah the hair ins't really a problem. Also kinda hard to mark deathclaws' team on multi otherwise. Also 'claws are pretty cool on multiplayer, they can even thrown grenades and a perk gives them poisoned claws. I remember they were fast runners, so awesome for Capture The Flag maps in FOT. Properly built claws and dogs were the horror in FOT, especially CTB playing. Thrown grenade, then rush to make mincemeat of enemy for maximum effect, heh, those were the times.

I think Deathclaws in FOT are kinda nerfed, through. Original Gangsta Deathclaws are pratically bullet-proof, and require a ungodly ammount of ordinance to take down, or a flamer/laser, and they're way faster than humans (I think 12 AP or something). Deathclaws in FOT can be defeated by your AK-47-toting squads no problem, but then again my memory of FOT is kinda clouded.

FO2 introduced intelligent deathclaws in a way that made sense: They were experiments by the Enclave, who without doubt used limited amounts of FEV to make them smarter. Most of them were actually sentient but dumb as bricks, kinda like Super Mutants in that aspect. They also got all killed by end-game except for Goris and Xarn.

The sentient and intelligent ones in FOT (40 years before Fallout 2, remember) appear from nowhere and vanish nowhere, making absolutely no sense.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
But seriously, Fallout 3 was objectively fucking terrible compared to Fallout 1 and 2. There is no weaseling around that fact. It might be a decent hiking simulator (I wouldn't know) but as a Fallout sequel it is the second worst game in the franchise, and it only escapes being the worst because FOBOS exists.
It wasn't a terrible game on its own but it was a terrible Fallout game, imho.

Black

Arcane
Top notch exploration? Hardly, with rubble blocking ways, metro tunnels filled with cannon fodder and radiation walls.
nobody plays Bethesda games for the characters anyway.
I don't know why anyone plays them either!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I don't know why anyone plays them either!
I don't know why people play ascii rogue crap, yet they are obviously popular and we even get regular codex news on some obscure crawlers which have even less to do with rpg than F3, so what?
We play it because there are no better games in the same niche - open world exploration and grinding with some cute post-apocalyptic scenery (well we have FNV now obviously, so it's safe to say F3 is inferior to it). The same reason we play Skyrim - yes, almost all of its systems are broken or clunky, but there is simply nothing else to provide similar experience and gameplay.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I think Deathclaws in FOT are kinda nerfed, through. Original Gangsta Deathclaws are pratically bullet-proof, and require a ungodly ammount of ordinance to take down, or a flamer/laser, and they're way faster than humans (I think 12 AP or something). Deathclaws in FOT can be defeated by your AK-47-toting squads no problem, but then again my memory of FOT is kinda clouded.
FOT did away with sensible stats and dmg values for weapons and introduced shitty loot "progression" instead. Which means that by the time you can start recruiting deathclaws your normal goons with weapons will be much deadlier. And the deathclaws as meleers simply can't stand up to the ordnance the enemies bring up against you. And they were also less tough than in FO1/2.
Overall a shittily balanced game but otherwise quite good. *shrug*

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Top notch exploration? Hardly, with rubble blocking ways, metro tunnels filled with cannon fodder and radiation walls.

I am extremely butthurt by the presence of a handful of natural barriers. I should be able to walk through them like in real life.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It wasn't a terrible game on its own
It did nothing well and many things horribly, on top of that it has a lot of technical issues.
How is that not the definition of "terrible"?

Have you read Codex LP of F3? It is bad game with awful writing, moronic story and theme park enviroment; if you want to play sandbox hike simulator pick Morrowind, FNV or Skyrim instead.

Back to the topic; any mods for FOT? Played it only once year after release or so when there was hardly interntet in gloriosu Potatoland.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I see a lot of posts edging dangerously near to Herve endorsement. You fucks seem to forget that Bethesda didn't do anything to Fallout that Herve hadn't already done:

BoxArt_FOB.jpg

Seriously, considering that Bethesda at least let the rather ok F:NV happen, while all Herve had coming down the pipeline was BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL 2, Bethesda is the definite lesser of two evils here. Still very much an evil though.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
and we even get regular codex news on some obscure crawlers which have even less to do with rpg than F3, so what?
Oh wow, I see a last grasp attempt at the most dumbfuck statement of 2013:salute:

As for F3's exploration - exploration cannot be good when it's meaningless, which is exactly what it is in F3 (scaling, cannot die, dmg of weapons tied to skills, never in danger of running out of anything and other assorted moronic design decisions).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Comrade Yewriej has scored good point here :salute:

14464.jpg

But Herve is evil of the past though and Bethpizda will rape the corpse of fallout in most un-tasteful way Forever.

How do people even understand you if they do not know Russian? ;)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It seems that Bethesda has no working relationship with GOG whatsoever and that they aren't interested in forming one
Fuck those losers. Seriously, what gives? People love GOG and I highly doubt any Bethesda release of the old Fallout games would be comparable in terms of features, support or bonus items. Fallout games are still top sellers on GOG and GOG has way more reach than the... what, Bethesda Store or some shit?

Maybe Bethesda has a deal with Steam and wants it to be exclusive. Businessmen upset over lack of DRM, maybe.

Is there any other game developer more hated than Bethesda?
Developer? Definitely, people love Bethesda Game Studios. Publisher? Most people don't seem to give a shit about Bethesda Softworks itself. Generally speaking though, I have heard a lot of stories that suggest ZeniMax is a pretty standard triple-A publisher - that is, petty, exploitative, performs many legally questionable activities, etc.

Eidos Montreal deserves at least a little credit for DX:HR.
Th4if and Deus Ex are two different teams in the same studio.

I still can't believe how anyone at Interplay ever thought it was a good idea to go in business with a guy who looks like this. He looks like he could molest your children by enticing them with candy and shitty console RPG's.
It's not his fault, he's French. I think everyone over there looks that way. +M

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Have you read Codex LP of F3? It is bad game with awful writing, moronic story and theme park enviroment; if you want to play sandbox hike simulator pick Morrowind, FNV or Far Cry 3 instead.

No seriously. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 play almost the same and Far Cry 3 is much more fun.

Servo

Arcane
The same reason we play Skyrim - yes, almost all of its systems are broken or clunky, but there is simply nothing else to provide similar experience and gameplay.

You still playing Skyrim? The hell is wrong with you? Stop.

I read the F3 LP in its entirety. I had completely forgotten how awful that game really is without even comparing it to prior Fallouts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom