Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Bruticis

If you want to credit Codex with those GOG links, add /?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8 to the end of the urls. As it is now, only the GOG button in the top right corner of the site pages is affiliated. And any GOG news the news monkeys post, of course.
I always forget about that. I'll try to make a point to start doing that going forward.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If you want to credit Codex with those GOG links, add /?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8 to the end of the urls. As it is now, only the GOG button in the top right corner of the site pages is affiliated. And any GOG news the news monkeys post, of course.

I bookmarked the GOG link with that in the URL. :thumbsup:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'm not sure if that works if you don't come from a Codex url... just bookmark any Codex page instead, it's got the GOG button in the top right corner of all the pages.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I used GoG for the first time yesterday. I downloaded a copy of Icewind Dale from GoG, because I store my games collection in my old room at my parents house (far away from where I actually live now), so I wanted to have a full install version that allowes me to play it without the CDs. Dowlnoaded it from GoG for 10 Bucks and it works like a charm.

I don't get why GoG get's so much flak from some people around here. It's awesome.

- No DRM, once you download the game you can always install it again, without having to connect to the internet, to gog, or use some online installer of theirs. Now contrast this with other download-services. Recently I wanted to reinstall 2nd Mannassas, which I have bought from gamersgate. I had the files on my gamedisk, but in order to install the game I had to launch their online installer and log into my account. So basicly, if gamersgate shuts down somewhere in the future, I will be unable to install the game I have purchased from them. No such problem with GoG, download the files once, make a back up somewhere and you're set forever. Almost as if you had bought a physical copy.

- Windows 7 compatiblity. I know I know, gog basicly steals community patches, fixes and cracks and uses third-party freeware like DosBox and scummmv to make the games from their catalogue compatible with modern hardware. And you know what? Who the fuck cares? I gladly pay them 5 or 10 bucks to get a game version that has all the stuff integrated already, instead of searching the internet for patches and fixes and setting it all up myself. Getting old games to run on windows 7 can be a really huge bitch. And sometimes even if you apply all the fan-patches and workarounds you still run into problems. So kudos for GoG for taking care of that for me.

- Fair prices: 5-10 bucks is really not that much, especially if GoG assures windows 7 compatibility as described above.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well to be honest, I do think there is nothing wrong with downloading many of the older games GoG offers for free on abandonware sites. It's not really piracy for me from a moral point of view.

On the other hand, I don't think there is anything wrong with the GoG business model either and with buying "abandonware" for a small price if it has garantueed compatiblity with modern hardware. It's not like GoG suddenly took those games out of public domain, those games (with a few exceptions) have never been officially abandonware. Someone holds the rights to them. And yeah, it's shitty that the original devs often don't see a cent from those sales, but this is a problem with our fucked up copyright system, not GoG fault.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Because paying for games is wrong. It's much edgier to rage against the man.

I don't mind piracy but I really think that people who go on about piracy at length, romanticize it, and bash on GOG just because they think they are fighting the man should be banned. It's always the same couple guys and they never post about anything else in a meaningful way, and all of them are also insulting assholes no matter what the topic. Yes I mean Hiver, Pelvis Knot, and Cassidy.

It shouldn't be the number of words in people's posts but the content, and none of them have ever posted anything except silly "fuck the man! And fuck you too!" nonsense.

No one comes here for Daddy Issues 2.0. I get enough of that at home.

EDIT: Also I don't think ANYONE has EVER said it's wrong to pirate a game you own. But I have bought games on GOG I own because it's just more convenient, and raging against GOG as if they are the ones making piracy illegal is getting really old. Especially when the codex makes its rent by the few people who remember to click on the GOG links before they buy something.

I'm sorry you're so butthurt. Here, look at the games I bought on GOG and soothe your ass.

pu0Zx.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Since I'm feeling sick today I got Soulbringer (time eventually found its way to me). It's great because of non-scaling enemies. You can go to places with tough enemies and be roughed up big time, so you have to be careful and mindful of where you go. My biggest problem so far though is that it seems to be very possible to screw up your stats at the beginning of the game. I put most of my stats in strength so I could do more damage, but I ended up doing shit damage to the earliest enemies. Started a new game and put all stats into Combat to unlock new combat moves and suddenly I was slapping shit like no tomorrow.
The animations are pretty good since it's apparently mo capped (certainly looks that way to me) and combat is really nice. At first it might seem like clunky click fest, but then you realize that there's all kinds of cool shit you have to take into consideration such as positioning. You're not only fighting on an X axis anymore like in most action RPGs, but also on a Y axis. If you swing your weapon and miss, welp, you miss. So you have to be mindful that if there are enemies underneath you, you have to use attacks that hit down. You can use positioning to your advantage such as luring enemies into places where they will have the high ground over you, but will keep swinging and missing you while you can gleefully whack at them without taking any hits.
The game has problems though, such as lots of crashing. You need to save often, although you'd be doing that in a game like this anyway. Movement feels a bit unnatural at times too. Sometimes it's fluid, sometimes a bit jerky. All in all if you can look past the crashes, or even get them fixed, you'll be in for what seems to be a rather huge and great game. Challenge seems to be just right too once you figure out the true value of the stats. So far it seems to me that the Combat stat that unlocks more moves is a better way of improving your damage output rather than taking Strength.

Chuck Norris

Augur
New release: Cossacks Anthology

I had this game, but I didn't quite get into it. Only recommended if you are a major RTS nerd.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I guess a lot of other late young adult/early middle age guys and gals here will be familiar with the situation that after graduating and getting a full-time job the ratio between available income and free time pretty much reverses (unless your parents are from a high enough income bracket to make money a non-issue during university years). Money becomes far less of an issue but finding enough time to sit down for a few hours to play a game becomes increasingly difficult. Disregarding the whole copyright issues: if buying from GOG saves me 1-2 hours compared to looking for stuff and getting it to run by myself then this is money well spent.

Bruticis

I like Gog, but advertising plant?
I think you're on to something. Clearly, this would definitely be the spot to do it. No vitriol, just pure sheeples clamoring to GOG to buy games because of the plant. I bet the sales spiked immediately.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I suspect this promotion has to do with the fact Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are apparently in the Steam registry and might be coming out soon.

Multi-headed Cow

I suspect this promotion has to do with the fact Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are apparently in the Steam registry and might be coming out soon.
HOLY FUCK REALLY WILL I FINALLY BE ABLE TO BUY THE INFINITY ENGINE GAMES ON STEAM YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssohgaben

Chuck Norris

Augur
New release: American Conquest + Fight Back

Another RTS from GSC Game Worlds. Haven't played it so can't give any opinions.

Chuck Norris

Augur
New release: Apache Longbow

Also Comanche vs Hokum and Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games are 60% off for the next 24 hours.

Chuck Norris

Augur
New Release: Still Life 2

World of Cyan games ( Myst, Riven: Sequel to Myst, Real Myst, Uru Complete Chronicles, Manhole: Masterpiece Edition ) are 50% off this weekend.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I used to like that store, but I won't buy anything from them until mr. SS Captain pays 20x the price + interest races for every game he stole.

Cassidy

Arcane
Because paying for games is wrong. It's much edgier to rage against the man.

I don't mind piracy but I really think that people who go on about piracy at length, romanticize it, and bash on GOG just because they think they are fighting the man should be banned. It's always the same couple guys and they never post about anything else in a meaningful way, and all of them are also insulting assholes no matter what the topic. Yes I mean Hiver, Pelvis Knot, and Cassidy.

It shouldn't be the number of words in people's posts but the content, and none of them have ever posted anything except silly "fuck the man! And fuck you too!" nonsense.

I never imagined I could provoke so much butthurt into someone I never had a direct confrontation of DISCUSS!!! with.

Yeah, yeah, all my posts in Codex are to bash GoG and "The Man" while defending piracy and nothing more. No, they aren't and one of the most exemplary symptoms of being terribly upset with someone over the Internets is to suggest banning and make strawman of him. So tell me, what have you done of productive, thought-provoking, intelligent, fun or enjoyable content in the Codex to go on a high horse like that?

Because either you are a newfag or an alt of someone who filled his previous account with the shame of the reputation of being a retard and has no balls to go back to it because of that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO COMMUNISTS LOST YOU SHOULD TRY JOBS AND STUFF

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom