Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I've more or less given up on GOG. Too much anime shit and lolies.

They really should have two separate tabs when you go to their site, one for Good Old Games and another for Good New Games. The new game clutter is really starting to clog-up the site steam-style, which can only have a hugely negative effect on people casually browsing for genuine gogs.
Or you decide what you want to buy, so you just go to the site, buy that shit and play it. Same with Steam. I never got the whining about "bruhahah, the storefront is littered with shit". Do people really go to digital stores to windowshop? Just buy the game you want and get out!

Well the complaint makes a little more sense on steam if you're trying to watch everything new coming in. GOG has few enough releases a week that you can easily see whats new in a few minutes on the weekend and ignore/buy/wishlist as you please.

J_C have you never just window shopped for games? I do it (and have always done it) quite regularly. Sure, if I'm aware of something specific I just buy it, but, sure, just browsing games is 'normal'... but not for you?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They really should have two separate tabs when you go to their site, one for Good Old Games and another for Good New Games. The new game clutter is really starting to clog-up the site steam-style, which can only have a hugely negative effect on people casually browsing for genuine gogs.
Or you decide what you want to buy, so you just go to the site, buy that shit and play it. Same with Steam. I never got the whining about "bruhahah, the storefront is littered with shit". Do people really go to digital stores to windowshop? Just buy the game you want and get out!

Well the complaint makes a little more sense on steam if you're trying to watch everything new coming in. GOG has few enough releases a week that you can easily see whats new in a few minutes on the weekend and ignore/buy/wishlist as you please.

J_C have you never just window shopped for games? I do it (and have always done it) quite regularly. Sure, if I'm aware of something specific I just buy it, but, sure, just browsing games is 'normal'... but not for you?
Honest to God, I had never bought a totally unknown game just by browsing the catalogue. It's just not my style, I'm not an impulse buyer. But I guess I'm an outlier in this case.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Honest to God, I had never bought a totally unknown game just by browsing the catalogue. It's just not my style, I'm not an impulse buyer. But I guess I'm an outlier in this case.

The most usual case for me in the ancient days was browsing at the game store where there'd be a 3 for 10 bucks offer on 5 buck games or 2 for 15 bucks on 10 buck games. You'd pick one you kinda knew about, Total War Rome or civ3 or some such bankable name & then be like, heck may as well bite on the offer and then spend the next hour reading the back of every remotely interesting looking game box.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The most usual case for me in the ancient days was browsing at the game store where there'd be a 3 for 10 bucks offer on 5 buck games or 2 for 15 bucks on 10 buck games. You'd pick one you kinda knew about, Total War Rome or civ3 or some such bankable name & then be like, heck may as well bite on the offer and then spend the next hour reading the back of every remotely interesting looking game box.
In Soviet Hungary, we didn't have game stores. XD

toucanplay

Novice
In Soviet Hungary, games choose you.

Fixed.

You probably should think about this a bit though (as a developer, which if memory serves is real and not just one of DU's jokes). You're assuming everyone interested in buying a game knows that something like that exists, with that specific title (or equivalent data to track it down) and where/when you can buy it.

Can't assume your whole market's just people who read Codex threads in between bouts of furious masturbation! ;)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
In Soviet Hungary, games choose you.

Fixed.

You probably should think about this a bit though (as a developer, which if memory serves is real and not just one of DU's jokes). You're assuming everyone interested in buying a game knows that something like that exists, with that specific title (or equivalent data to track it down) and where/when you can buy it.

Can't assume your whole market's just people who read Codex threads in between bouts of furious masturbation! ;)
You are totally right, and I was only making that joke from my consumer side of view. I know the reality is different. :)

gaussgunner

Arcane
J_C's just an indie developer, so it's not as if anyone's going to find his obscure P&C adventure by browsing through long lists in Steam or GOG. The filters are useless. They're only gonna find it through word of mouth, forum threads, reviews, or let's plays.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Though it will be other Golem
167688-golem-windows-front-cover.jpg
V.o.l.t.e.r. Golem to be precise

Valtiel

Scholar
There's VtM bloodlines for 4 euros, I love the game but I never bought it, would any money go to Troika even after all these years or just activision? Should I just buy it to send a message to Paradox?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's VtM bloodlines for 4 euros, I love the game but I never bought it, would any money go to Troika even after all these years or just activision? Should I just buy it to send a message to Paradox?
How would the money go to Troika?

m_s0

Arcane
The usual way publisher-developer deals work outside of internal studios is that developers work their asses off, and the publisher allows them to live if the end (/milestone) result pleases them. When the project gets finished the devs either have something lined up and move on to that, or they boot everyone out hoping they land a job that'll keep whomever is there alive at which point they hire people to actually have someone that can make that something happen. Rince and repeat. Forget about owning the IP or royalties. Fun times at the games industry.

So: no. And I doubt Activision shares their figures with Paradox. Actually, I doubt they even notice those unless it's CoD or WoW we're talking about.

Though it will be other Golem
V.o.l.t.e.r. Golem to be precise
The final release was just 'Golem' - they dropped the 'V.O.T.E.R.' (no 'l' in there) at that point.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
The usual way publisher-developer deals work outside of internal studios is that developers work their asses off, and the publisher allows them to live if the end (/milestone) result pleases them. When the project gets finished the devs either have something lined up and move on to that, or they boot everyone out hoping they land a job that'll keep whomever is there alive at which point they hire people to actually have someone that can make that something happen. Rince and repeat. Forget about owning the IP or royalties. Fun times at the games industry.

Yeah... this is what GOG's about page says:
Respecting game creators
When you're with us, you can be sure that all games are legitimate, and your purchases support rightful owners and creators.

I think that means Activision, and White Wolf by extension. So, when you buy VTMB, you're kickstarting their next projects, not rewarding the actual creators. But it's only pocket change.

It's not much different with indies and kickstarter. The main guy gets all the money except what he paid employees and freelancers for their work. He may lose money or he may get rich off the backs of the workers. Capitalism isn't fair. But at least some people get money to make cool shit.

Buy it, pirate it and buy something else, both, whatever. It's all good.

m_s0

Arcane
Oh, right. Somehow, I managed to forget that Paradox owns White Wolf now. So I guess they might have an idea on how well licensed games are selling, depending on the deal in place.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Bought Swat 4,Homeworld Emergence,Ash of Gods,Blackwell Epiphany,Zork Grand Inquisitor,got Xenonauts,Rime and Sunless Sea for free and grabbed 3 games from Steam Connect

:kfc:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was waiting for deeper sale on NWN2 but figure those fuckheads over Beamdog are probably already cooking their "enhanced edition" with minimal effort so gotta be quick :codexisfor:

e6vBR7Q.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom