Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Paul_cz

Arcane
You can disable achievements in Galaxy completely while keeping the overlay enabled. I am not a fan of them either.

McPlusle

Savant
Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I read that achievements are actually demanded by some developers.
That's because achievements is tracking tool used by developers. With it devs can make games based on them.

Now you understand why there is so much trash "achievements" like "collect X amount of Y" or bunch of them for main story line or tracking numbers of side quests made.

They don't deserve to be called "achievements", they are just waste of time for players because it's all they need to get them.

Rabbid

Savant
I read that achievements are actually demanded by some developers. You know, while I kinda hate how Gog has been doing things lately, ther's so much you can do when the entire industry sucks ass.

Also they released a game by the Empire Earth devs https://af.gog.com/game/empires_dawn_of_the_modern_world?as=1649904300 has anyone played it? I love EE to death and if it's worth it I might get this one

508002259a97e65115fda01633a366762881ce21cd97c0cc41f376ac1dddd9da_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg
The screenshots look so familiar. Just look at the buildings; the coloured lines. Makes sense that the developers are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Initially, I actually thought it's some kind of a fan made HD remake of the first EE.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From a quick glance at my account, they haven't added Galaxy to older game installers.
There is a list of games that are going to get Galaxy installer.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CuRw1E44ZSEgY-pjuimEjBHZPgBEa-mUVmmAkgyIkmU/edit
GOG Games with GOG Galaxy installers

8-bit Armies

8-bit Hordes

8-bit Invaders

Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders

Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000

Anima: Gate of Memories

Aragami

Batman - The Telltale Series

BattleZone 98 Redux

BLACKHOLE

Bombshell

Breach & Clear: DEADline Rebirth

Candle

Corpse Party

Craft The World

Crookz - The Big Heist

Crypt of the NecroDancer

Deadly Tower of Monsters, The

Deathtrap

Deponia 4: Deponia Doomsday

Dex

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Dying Light: The Following – Enhanced Edition

EARTHLOCK: Festival of Magic

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

Enter the Gungeon

Epistory - Typing Chronicles

Event[0]

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

Firewatch

Galactic Civilizations III

Goliath

Grim Dawn

Hard West

Homeworld® Remastered Collection

Hybrid Wars

INSIDE

J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars

Kathy Rain

Kim

Layers of Fear

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, The

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC, The

Little King's Story

Master of Orion

Mini Metro

Moon Hunters

No Man's Sky

Offworld Trading Company

Oxenfree

Pathologic Classic HD

Pharaonic

Pillars of Eternity

Prison Architect

Rebel Galaxy

Renowned Explorers: International Society

Satellite Reign

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Shadow Warrior 2

Shadwen

Sheltered

SimplePlanes

Sins of a Solar Empire®: Rebellion Ultimate Edition

Slain: Back From Hell

Sorcerer King

Sorcerer King – Rivals

Space Rogue

Star Vikings

Stories: The Path of Destinies

Stronghold Crusader 2

Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold Edition

Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Tales from the Borderlands

Tempest

TerraTech

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Complete Pack

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II - Complete Pack

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III

The Original Strife: Veteran Edition

The Real Texas

The Solus Project

The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

The Walking Dead: Michonne - A Telltale Miniseries

The Walking Dead: Season 2

This Is the Police

This War of Mine: Soundtrack Edition

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power

Turok

Tyranny

Urban Empire

Victor Vran

Witcher: Enhanced Edition, The

Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings, The - Enhanced Edition

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, The

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, The - Game of the Year Edition

Witcher Adventure Game, The

Wolf Among Us, The

Worms W.M.D

Xanadu Next

X Rebirth

Ziggurat

Zombie Night Terror

Vorark

Erudite
tldr: they will introduce classic offline installers along the new ones - expect to find them hidden in a help/support submenu :D

Well, you already have to dig a little to get the GOG Downloader links.

Boleskine

Arcane
I doubt GOG will maintain two different installer versions on affected titles for very long. They are barely competent at patching new games.

They expected the backlash and made a small calculated appeasement with the expectation that most users eventually stop caring. GOG isn't going to change their long-term plans.

"Hey guys, Galaxy will now be bundled with all DRM-free installers. We think our customers are idiots, so sneaking Galaxy onto their PCs like bloatware is the way to go."
"Hey guys, we're going to start having some newer games available only through Galaxy. This is the only way we can compete with Steam!"
"Hey guys, now that most newer titles are Galaxy-only we're going to stop offering DRM-free installers for the rest of the catalog."

GOG doesn't even focus on DRM-free in their marketing anymore like they did a couple years ago. They're just buttering up the DRM-free crowd for the final blow.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM SO GAY LOLOLLOLOL

BOUGHT WING COMMANDER 3 AND DIBGEON KEEPER

LOLOLLOLOL HALF THE GAMES I BUY ON GOG I HAVR ON ISOS ALREADY LOLOLOL

Endemic

Arcane

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Whenever I look at GOG there's a Witcher franchise sale, except when I actually want to buy Blood and Wine to complete my Witcher 3 collection. :(

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There is a list of games that are going to get Galaxy installer.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CuRw1E44ZSEgY-pjuimEjBHZPgBEa-mUVmmAkgyIkmU/edit

Only ones from that list that I own are AvP classic, TWoM, Dex, and Witcher 1/2. I have the installers backed up already. If they decide to make Galaxy mandatory and it messes with my experience, I can always take my money elsewhere.
Can you, though? Nobody offers the service GOG does, that I know of.

That said, if GOG goes down the DRM/Bloatware route, there's literally zero incentive to using GOG, so why bother? People already get Steam trash because "They want it all in one place". If GOG loses the things that makes GOG GOG, then they have truly lost.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That said, if GOG goes down the DRM/Bloatware route, there's literally zero incentive to using GOG, so why bother? People already get Steam trash because "They want it all in one place". If GOG loses the things that makes GOG GOG, then they have truly lost.

There is only two things which makes GOG GOG. The DRM free aspect of it, and the compatibility of old games on modern systems. They can have achievements, they can have a client bundled into the installers, but as long as you can freely download the games as many times and on as many machines as you want, even the very old games, GOG has the thing which gamers value the most.

Gerrard

Arcane
You didn't get the season pass?Then you must suffer...
You got fuckadoodled if you bought the season pass because it wasn't actually any cheaper than just buying them as they came out (both DLCs were 10% off a few days before release). And because Blood and Wine wasn't worth the money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom