Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's left of the classic catalog again?

EcoQuest 1 & 2
Heart of China
Rise of the Dragon
Sid & Al's Incredible Toons
Zeliard
Silpheed
Thexder
JONES IN THE MOTHERFUCKIN' FAST LANE
Manhunter
Dr. Brain games
plus many more

Any bets on what's next?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's left of the classic catalog again?

EcoQuest 1 & 2
Heart of China
Rise of the Dragon
Sid & Al's Incredible Toons
Zeliard
Silpheed
Thexder
JONES IN THE MOTHERFUCKIN' FAST LANE
Manhunter
Dr. Brain games
plus many more

Any bets on what's next?

Don't forget Pepper!

https://af.gog.com/news/interview_with_the_creator_of_the_conquests_adventures?as=1649904300

INTERVIEW: THE CREATOR OF THE CONQUESTS ADVENTURES ON WHAT MADE THEM SPECIAL
The story behind the myth of two beloved Sierra classics.

Back in the late '80s - early '90s when adventure games reigned supreme, Sierra On-Line was the ultimate household name. During the steady stream of Quest and Larry games that established their legacy, a couple of less-known but no less-loved titles came along: Conquests of Camelot and Conquests of the Longbow. Not unlike the mythical tales that inspired them, they both established themselves as classics that rigorously withstood the test of time, thanks to their meticulous craftsmanship and irresistible charm.

To celebrate their long-awaited arrival on GOG.com we've approached their creator, Christy Marx, for a chat on what made them so special to her and to so many adventure game fans. Our tale begins with the ordinary sound of a ringing telephone...

Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you came to design two adventure games that are still considered to be on par with the classics from this golden era.

1744f0163fbaa9f36d1caae078e3be06c9eaa32cdabd1c1e666905000ead55eb.jpg

Christy Marx: I began my writing career by writing for Marvel Comics (Conan, Red Sonja, my own series The Sisterhood of Steel), and for animation (Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, and many others).

Late in 1988, a headhunter called our house looking for artists to work at Sierra On-Line. At the time, I was married to Peter Ledger, an Australian illustrator, painter, and comics artist. Somehow they'd gotten Peter's name and number. I think Sierra had a hard time finding artists that wanted to move into the obscure mountain town of Oakhurst where they were located. I've always been quick to jump on new opportunities and a chance to learn a new form of writing. I asked whether Sierra would be interested in a writer/artist team? They were very interested, especially when they learned of my scriptwriting background. Peter and I drove up to Oakhurst, met with Ken and Roberta, and made a deal on the spot to move up there and work for them. That was the nice thing about Sierra at the time -- if Ken and Roberta decided they wanted to make a deal like that, they could make it happen instantly. I knew nothing about making computer games, so the first couple of months mainly consisted of me playing every Sierra game, and talking to the programmers, artists, and other designers about what we could and couldn't do with the existing technology.

A lot of research seems to have been put into your games. What was it about these two legendary tales that motivated you to turn them into adventure games? If you were to make this into a trilogy, where would the story go next?

Christy: During our initial interview with Ken and Roberta, one of the key questions I asked was "If we create an original IP for you, do we have any ownership?" They said, no, they would want full ownership. I wasn't willing to create a new, original IP without some ownership, so they put forward the idea of doing a King Arthur game."I began doing extensive research, buying books, reading up on how the stories of a "King Arthur" began and developed across the centuries." I love all forms of mythology and legends, and so did Peter. We agreed that was an excellent solution. I began doing extensive research, buying books, reading up on how the stories of a "King Arthur" began and developed across the centuries. I used real locations and interesting artifacts that I came across, such as the Chalice Well and Glastonbury Tor, which had associations with Arthur. When I decided to expand the game to include Jerusalem, I consulted a friend who grew up there and learned about other cool places I could include, such as the Pool of Siloam.

f82c761e387d4b6e1fa1d0604b4e7ab15b84ee5f525b5c19656836a5f319192f.jpg

For the second game, I originally intended to make a game based on Greek mythology, focusing on the goddesses. During that time, about three or four Robin Hood movie projects were announced. Roberta began dropping hints that they'd love to put out a Robin Hood game. I was perfectly happy to go along with that, given my love of archery and Robin Hood. My research process was the same as before: I bought lots of books, studied how Robin Hood had begun as a trickster character in ballads and then acquired additions to the lore over time, such as Maid Marian and King Richard. I contacted the history museum at Nottingham and purchased materials from them. As before, I discovered and incorporated the cool things I came across such as the ancient pub (which is still there) and the sandstone tunnels beneath Nottingham Castle. Had I remained at Sierra, the direction I was thinking about for a third game was Conquests of Charlemagne. He would have fit nicely into the theme of the games.

Did you ever consider Kickstarting the sequel to your Conquests games or were you ever approached to that end? How would you want it to look like?

Christy: I've had many people ask me for that, but I don't think they understand how much work goes into one of these games. It's a massive undertaking. Each of the Sierra games took a year and a half of my life, and that was with Sierra providing everything I needed -- a team of professionals, equipment, game engine, production, technical support, QA, distribution, sales -- there's so much that goes into it. I don't have the time or energy to put all of that together myself.

I would love to make another one, if I could find a similar situation where that support was provided. I'd make it retro as far as the style of gameplay very much along the same lines as Camelot and Longbow, but would update the art and sound.

What were the main reasons why adventure games were so massively successful in the early days of the medium and why have they been relegated to a mostly niche status today?

Christy: Those were the early days of games. Everything was new, experimental, without established categories and the type of specialization we have today. Even being a designer wasn't a role set in stone. There were no rules, no laws, for being a designer. We made the games we liked to play, and most people who used computers at the time happened to like them as much as we did. We were on the creative edge with technology advancing in leaps from game to game. Remember that Camelot was a parser-based game while Robin Hood took the leap to a point & click game because the mouse became a significant part of using computers. Doing art for Camelot drove Peter crazy because he could only use sixteen colors, some of those achieved by being dithered. With Robin Hood, we had a full 256 colors! Woo hoo! Plus they were DOS-based, and DOS kept evolving into Windows and so on. But once games got beyond most of the big platform and technology differences, they began to splinter into different categories. One type of game would become hot and everybody would want to do that, then another type of game would hit big and everybody would jump on that bandwagon.

68e96ed8a148a7935842f75550c374536dd6b8645942f9163ebeb765323835cf.jpg

That was one of Sierra's mistakes, in my opinion. They stopped innovating and began following trends. Somewhere along the way, the audience of games shifted and became more male-oriented. I think this had a large negative impact overall, as it pushed games into more rigid paths, until mobile games came along. Now suddenly we see a huge influx in women playing mobile games, even when they don't consider themselves "gamers". Unfortunately, mobile isn't a good platform for adventure-style games. The trick is to make players of all persuasions aware of the variety of great games they can play, including those with adventure-style gameplay.

What gaming projects are you working on at the moment? Should we expect you to write and design another adventure game in the foreseeable future?

Christy: I spent the last six years as a Narrative Designer at Zynga learning about Facebook games, then working on mobile games. I've just left Zynga, so I'm wide open to new possibilities. I would love to do meatier, more challenging Narrative Design and game writing than I was able to do on mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

I remember the trailer for Throne of Darkness, it came with my Empire Earth CD. I always thought it was an interesting game but never got around to play it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just to be vague, but Crime Cities is still happening, and I heard some positivity regarding the missing Wizardry games.
Crime Cities? Long time since I played this thing on my first PC. It is Techland game made before they went with zombie crap and cowboys.
Sci-fi game where you drive armed flying car and do various jobs for cash to improve your arsenal, I remember giving up at 3rd last planet. There were three planets-prisons and next one was worse than previous when it comes to criminals held here.
Though it have technical issues on modern systems but I never bothered with picking it up again.

Heard Throne of Dorkness was one of the most decent Diablo clones. Wonder how it holds up...

edit
for konjo-likes and satori and other closeminded edgy penguin agents
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/fallout_1_2_tactics_giveaway?as=1649904300

Edit2
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/of...ion_to_install_gog_galaxy/page1?as=1649904300
:decline:
there is cure but still :decline:

Boleskine

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/of...ion_to_install_gog_galaxy/page1?as=1649904300

Hey everyone!

Starting on Friday, we’re going to include the option to install the GOG Galaxy client from the offline installers downloaded via GOG.com in over 100 games.

As many new users discover and download games from our website, we don’t want them to end up with installations that don’t auto-update or backup saves to the cloud. In fact, we want to offer everyone the most convenient experience from the get-go.

Don’t fret, nothing’s changed with our approach to GOG Galaxy being optional, which is why you can easily uncheck the GOG Galaxy installation within the game installer settings.

Last but not least, here’s a list of games that will include the option to install GOG Galaxy: bit.ly/GOG_games_installers

Rabbid

Savant
I am not shouting "decline" quite as often as other folk in here, but shit like this transforms me into my avatar pic. You already have to skip through a shiny "get galaxy" button in order to download the offline installers. Not to mention that you have to delve into a menu in order to find the legacy gog downloader links. The reasoning that someone who wants the galaxy client will find it this way is insulting. At this point, the offline installers are only useful to people who know what galaxy is and have chosen not to use it.

In before the butthurt emoji...

Grim Monk

Arcane
I am not shouting "decline" quite as often as other folk in here, but shit like this transforms me into my avatar pic. You already have to skip through a shiny "get galaxy" button in order to download the offline installers. Not to mention that you have to delve into a menu in order to find the legacy gog downloader links. The reasoning that someone who wants the galaxy client will find it this way is insulting. At this point, the offline installers are only useful to people who know what galaxy is and have chosen not to use it.

Moreover people are reporting that GOG may bundle the whole 150+ MB client install with every one of those games.

If true Users will end up wasting multiple gigabytes of storage on redundant Galaxy duplicates when backing up their games.

Edit: Found official confirmation from a Galaxy Developer!
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog/post33?as=1649904300
About including Galaxy Client installer - yeah, including all of it in the game installer is probably not the most optimized solution.
I think it's nice for it to be seamless, so it wouldn't require new users to click the link, download and install manually, but simply have a checkbox for that.

It would be really nice to have (optional to run) galaxy-client-downloading functionality in the game installers instead of having Galaxy Client installer embedded there. We'll see how that turns out in the future. The advantage here is having it working totally offline.

:abyssgazer:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Moreover people are reporting that GOG may bundle the whole 150+ MB client install with every one of those games.

If true users will end up wasting multiple gigabytes of storage on redundant Galaxy duplicates when backing up their games.
Any source for that?

If it is true then I must secure current backups before they bloat every 15 MB Dosbox game with that retarded shit.

edit.
FUCK!
9ca38706c3262c308275686be5fddf2a147407cfe68ad5fa7372b280c3b2429f_forum_avatar.jpg

fables22
Bacon of light

GOG.com Team
From Poland

Posted 2 days ago
low rated

As for the option being opted in as default - after careful consideration, we've decided to go with this because we believe that it's easier for an experienced user to uncheck the box than it would be for a new user to figure out how to turn the feature on.

edit 2.
FUCK!!
9ca38706c3262c308275686be5fddf2a147407cfe68ad5fa7372b280c3b2429f_forum_avatar.jpg

fables22
Bacon of light

GOG.com Team
From Poland

Posted 2 days ago
low rated
e2b7923a3b91af83476d6f0cd63b2fbe3f66e5ee7dfafebcd4d1acfbe0d971eb_avm.jpg

fishbaits: The piss taking continues.

So those of us that want nothing to do with galaxy, are now having it bloat everything we download?
How much does this increase the file size of every download?

You're also setting it as default under the lame excuse of "well durr, someone can't figure how to install it, despite it being advertised all over the site...".

And what's with hiding the list of games already plagued with this? Put it on this site, not on google docs where some of us can't get to see sod all.

Sheesh, you're really determined to lose customers...
We're aware that there might be a size issue with the new installers, and we're working on it to make sure the installers are much smaller so that this is no longer a problem.

edit 3.
Reddit thread about these good news.
FUCK!!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/6a5hh6/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog/

FeelTheRads

Arcane

If true Users will end up wasting multiple gigabytes of storage on redundant Galaxy duplicates when backing up their games.

Edit: Found official confirmation from a Galaxy Developer!
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog/post33?as=1649904300
About including Galaxy Client installer - yeah, including all of it in the game installer is probably not the most optimized solution.
I think it's nice for it to be seamless, so it wouldn't require new users to click the link, download and install manually, but simply have a checkbox for that.

It would be really nice to have (optional to run) galaxy-client-downloading functionality in the game installers instead of having Galaxy Client installer embedded there. We'll see how that turns out in the future. The advantage here is having it working totally offline.

:abyssgazer:
:hmmm:

What's the point of using Galaxy if you want it to be offline... especially if you, say, have just one or a few games?

Yay, the pointless has been made easy!

pippin

Galaxy only exists because people kept asking for it.
Also, many devs seem to not trust distribution sites without clients....

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
old school installers, no launcher required
then
gog galaxy is optional launcher
then
gog galaxy is bundled with installers
then
gog galaxy is needed for updates
then
gog galaxy is needed to install game

hellbent

Augur
I thought I was being an out of touch, crazy old man for backing up my GOG installers to discs. Now I'm glad I did before all of them caught teh Galaxy AIDS.

Vorark

Erudite
Holy shit that reddit thread, this is why we can't have nice things. :negative:

Why these changes are always opt-out instead of opt-in? Fucking decline.

Archibald

Arcane
Yeah, few months later announcement will be released saying "well, 99% of the users are installing Galaxy with our test batch of games so we are making Galaxy mandatory for all games in order to simplify installation process" followed by "most of the games are installed from Galaxy client anyway so we are removing standalone installers from the site in order to streamline the process and provide better experience" next year.

Well it was fun while it lasted I guess. It was probably unavoidable considering how GOG grew from serving niche market to mainstream and now majority of their users (and developers/publishers) want same things that are provided by Steam. Always online and some form of DRM is just a matter of time now.

Comte

When are they rolling these changes out?

Or have they already started?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom