Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

HotSnack

Cipher
I never heard of death to spies until now, but those games look cool. Has anyone played them?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Indeed, they even run on the same engine (Glacier) as Blood Money, sadly the Death to Spies games don't have a first person mode :rpgcodex: They're definitely worth trying out if you enjoy the Hitman series though.

HotSnack

Cipher
Thanks alot bros. I was a huge fan of the hitman series before they completely derailed it with Absolution. So these games sound like my kind of thing.

Telengard

Arcane
Anyone knows if this is a good change for Noctropolis:
Dead-end situations in game play removed
Noctropolis wasn't the best programmed of games, so the below quote may well be accurate.
Dev here. The couple of situations that were fixed being referred to here were unintentional oversights, as confirmed by the original game's developers. These weren't minor dead ends, these were a couple of game killing situations 90% of the way into the game where, if you didn't pick up an inconsequential item a couple hours earlier, and didn't have an early enough save, you'd have to restart the entire game. - quasardw
This was a long time ago, but from memory it wasn't built in the classic mode with interesting, unavoidable deaths (though it does have fatalities) and gotcha traps, but was the more modern (for the time) storybook, always-win style of Adventure, in the vein of Lucasarts. Though don't assume that this game is on Lucasarts' level, 'cause it's not. Game was interesting enough that I still remember some moments, but I also remember giving away the game soon as i finished, since I didn't care about it at all.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Honestly I just remember it being a very poor game, 100% style and 0 substance. Puzzles weren't great to begin with and it had IIRC this weird interface where if you had a multi-step puzzle that required using different items together, simply using one of the items in your inventory automatically solved the puzzle.

In terms of story/atmosphere it was what we typically now call grimdark, except ahead of its time.

tormund

Arcane
GOG's "standards" are getting more and more bizarre... Bunch of shovelware gets released there, and on the other hand bunch of good games that could use GOG release remain Steam only, sometimes even with devs saying that they were downright refused by GOG.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
GOG's "standards" are getting more and more bizarre... Bunch of shovelware gets released there, and on the other hand bunch of good games that could use GOG release remain Steam only, sometimes even with devs saying that they were downright refused by GOG.
Examples of these good games that got refused by GOG?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is this about Pony Island drama?
http://af.gog.com/forum/general/pony_island_apparently_coming_up_on_gog/post34?as=1649904300
** UPDATE ***

Bad news so I edited the first post :(

I'm quoting the dev directly with its permission:

"I don't have an account on GOG so maybe you can quote me on this:

I work with a publisher for the non-Steam stores and I expected before release that they would be able to get me on GOG. Recently they informed me that GOG rejected my submission (I do not know on what grounds) and that they were going to try re-submitting. I trust the publisher. They have gotten the game on almost every other store so I don't think the issue is with their submission. I am going to remove the GOG button from the website for now to avoid further confusion.

If I were to release on GOG, it would be with a DRM-free version only. This is mostly because the work required to integrate the Galaxy API doesn't seem worth it when GOG users don't want it."

The hell is Pony Island?

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

Hatred was a weird case, considering GOG used to be proud of selling uncensored games (unlike Steam). Sometimes, when a game is heavy on microtransactions, GOG will refuse it as well. There are also devs who would refuse to put their games on GoG because they think having a DRM free version will allow it to be pirated more easily.

tormund

Arcane
Examples of these good games that got refused by GOG?
Recently, remake of The Quest was unable to get on GOG, and so was The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. Explanation for the later one was that it looked "too niche" which is bizarre coming from them (unless the dev is lying, which I doubt).
"Except that, I got the answer from GOG : they said it looked like a good & interesting game, but were afraid it was too much of a niche game for their store."
Both games look exactly like the kind of game that could benefit from GOG release...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I can see why they said it's too niche. If these games got only 68 and 110 reviews respectively (AoD for example has around 700 and sold 28k copies on Steam) then it must sell like shit (just checked SS and The Quest sold only around 2k copies). And GOG sells always only a small fraction of what Steam sells. Although from the screens these games look like just another dungeon crawlers.

Archibald

Arcane
Maybe they don't want to turn GoG into Steam where you have 5 million games that nobody cares about and its close to impossible to discover something new and interesting.

Cerulean

Cipher

Starwars

Arcane
Weekly staff picks: PoE, Wasteland 2, Satellite Reign, Legends of Eisenwald, Grim Fandango Remastered, etc. 50%-75% off.

http://af.gog.com/promo/weekly_staff_pick_new_year_absolutions_250116?as=1649904300

Any thoughts on Never Alone? The graphics look beautiful, and I find the Native Alaskan stuff to be intriguing, but I don't want to contribute to another "Gone Home", so to speak.

Was thinking of that plus Transistor and the OST.

I got Never Alone way back since I also liked the way it looks and I found the setting to be intriguing. But back then at least, the gameplay was pretty fucking shitty. If you can play it coop with someone, that's probably the way it was meant to be played. It was a bit of a pain to play it singleplayer, though may have been better with a controller (didn't have one when I first played it).

I was pretty disappointed in it but it may have been improved now, not sure.

Blackstaff

Arbiter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom