Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Now that System Shock is on gog I just had to splash the cash and purchased - System Shock 1, Terra Nova, Ultima Underworld 1&2. Now my Looking Glass Studios collection is complete!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So gog is giving me 40% off for owning SS2, but even cooler if I didn't I'd get 20% off for voting for it on the community wish list. So vote for the games you want everyone.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Nuff said my ass. More like "look at how old skool i am lel"

BTW, what enhanced edition? They didn't do something to the game, did they?

1. The Enhanced Edition was made by Night Dive.

2. We didn't "do" anything to the game save some QA and one of the trailers you see on the game card.

3. You get the game as close to the original as LGS intended with the Classic Edition via DOSBox along with the Enhanced Edition.

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Is this Enhanced Edition simply the Portable Version that was released by fans a while back - and then taken down only just recently? Looking at the forum page, it seems like that's not exactly the case and it's some sort of Frankenstein version with mods of already existing mods. Weird.

Definitely putting it on my wishlist at least.

Here's the details on this release:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8030.0

PeachPlumage

Cipher
The intro with Sound Blaster sound is amazing. I also would like to have both sound options for the game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Was this game made for SC55 or MT32 the intro Jaesun above is slightly different from MT32 emu dosbox, but i might prefer that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Was this game made for SC55 or MT32 the intro Jaesun above is slightly different from MT32 emu dosbox, but i might prefer that.

It was written for the SC55 (Sound Canvas). It HAS MT-32 support, but that option is crap, as the SC55 has vastly superior sounds on it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I concede, give me all the audio options. Kudos to Jaesun. I shall now hang my head in shame! +M

When playing System Shock, if you are using Windows, set the games sound options to SoundCanvas because Windows has a built in SoundCanvas* so the sound will be quite close to the original (and much better IMHO).

*The SoundCanvas built into Windows only includes the base 128 sounds, but does NOT include the "extra" GS sounds available on an actual SoundCanvas, but not many games actually use those sounds, but there are a SMALL number of games that do.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When playing System Shock, if you are using Windows, set the games sound options to SoundCanvas because Windows has a built in SoundCanvas* so the sound will be quite close to the original (and much better IMHO).

*The SoundCanvas built into Windows only includes the base 128 sounds, but does NOT include the "extra" GS sounds available on an actual SoundCanvas, but not many games actually use those sounds, but there are a SMALL number of games that do.
Where is the SoundCanvas setting?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun, you're the broest of bros, but SHAME ON YOU for this. The Windows "GS" emulator is complete utter garbage. The tones sound NOTHING like the SC-55 counterparts and are much worse in quality, never mind the lack of specials (chorus, reverb etc don't work anything like on the real module), and of course it's a "GS" emulator that doesn't support a single GS command, including calls to the extra tones in the sub-banks.

For emulating a Sound Canvas on Windows, I suggest getting VirtualMIDISynth and this GS soundfont, both of which are free (alternatively, if you're already using a graphic card or software that allows selecting soundfonts, just use that. I personally like VMS). Even this won't sound as good as the real module (especially compared to how close Munt sound has become to a real MT-32) but it'll still sound a LOT better than the Windows softsynth.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Thanks, Jaesun and Sceptic. I don't have much knowledge regarding the dos era as I didn't have a pc until Windows 98; so I ended up playing system shock portable about two years ago with the default sound :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom