Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Is Starship Titanic any good? I remember seeing it in a magazine ages ago.

Starship Titanic is writen by Douglas Adams. If you like Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy you will like it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He already finished it.

ZAWV6ly.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
How GOG.com Save And Restore Classic Videogames
001zor52.jpg

What a nauseating advertorial.

90% of the ex-abandonware GoG now charges for takes a few minutes to install from the actual disc, iso or rip, from the other 10% (aka the non-DOS games) most games don't even work perfect without applying community fixes or tweaks. For example, try to install the "GoG version" of Interstate 76 and tell me how well it runs.

The only things disappearing are download links from the sites that have actually conserved these games for many years and potentially your money into the pockets of EA, Activision et al...funny thing that.

I salute GoG for their business acumen and for their stance on DRM but I'm not quite ready to accept them as the saviors of classic video games just yet.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Geneforge saga for 3 bucks on GOG. I already own it on Steam but I heard that the GOG version was more stable and didn't have some of the slow down issues that the Steam version has in Geneforge 1 and 2. Any truth to this?

I saw Starship Titanic and it wasn't even like three seconds before I added it to my cart. I always wanted to play that game. If anyone from GOG posts here, I wanna let you know you'll also get my money if you add Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster and Gadget. And I'm sure upwards of four other people too.

I also got a couple of piñatas because I'm an idiot. You guys down with Terraria and Rogue Legacy?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
001zor52.jpg

What a nauseating advertorial.

90% of the ex-abandonware GoG now charges for takes a few minutes to install from the actual disc, iso or rip, from the other 10% (aka the non-DOS games) most games don't even work perfect without applying community fixes or tweaks. For example, try to install the "GoG version" of Interstate 76 and tell me how well it runs.

The only things disappearing are download links from the sites that have actually conserved these games for many years and potentially your money into the pockets of EA, Activision et al...funny thing that.

I salute GoG for their business acumen and for their stance on DRM but I'm not quite ready to accept them as the saviors of classic video games just yet.

Yeah, the "restoration" bit got to me too. Most of the shit I got from them is just the original version + fanmade patch + in some cases, Dosbox. Can anyone give clear examples of old code that they actually have rewritten ? Isn't Dungeon Keeper on GOG still uncompletable because of a well known bug they didn't bother to fix in one of the last levels ?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wanna let you know you'll also get my money if you add Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster.
Windows 3.11 16 bits quicktime game. Won't happen in Gog i don't think... of course, you could play this right now by downloading one of the many ready to play pirate dosbox win3.1 packs... but what am i saying. That would be illegal (BTW 'windows 3.1' not being licensable from microsoft is the likely reason that GoG is not selling these games right now, not having a dosbox analog to mooch off of. There is a business opportunity in it for them if they manage to convince someone at microsoft to add a license fee to every copy sold to line their filthy pockets).

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
I'm gonna pirate it just to see how it looks like. Beat the game pretty recently so I don't feel like playing it again.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nuff said my ass. More like "look at how old skool i am lel"

BTW, what enhanced edition? They didn't do something to the game, did they?

Venser

Erudite
I actually played it with original controls. Playing with freelook was really confusing but that could be because I tried it only after playing for a couple of hours without it.

Venser

Erudite
BTW, what enhanced edition? They didn't do something to the game, did they?

- Higher resolution support: up to 1024x768, and 854x480 widescreen mode.
- Mouselook support added.
- Remappable keys with three profiles to choose from: original controls, custom controls, and lefthanded controls.
- Some original game bugs fixed.

Enhanced Edition also includes the classic version of the game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cross-posting: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8030.0

I'm happy to confirm that the rumors about an upcoming GOG release of the original System Shock are indeed true, and you can now purchase System Shock Enhanced Edition on GOG. This is the CD version of the game, now running through a custom windows loader that has been created by Malba Tahan - basically, enhancing and incorporating his already released mods like SHLINK and the mouselook/hires mod into one complete package, featuring;

- the game runs natively under windows, no (slow) dosbox emulation
- toggle able mouselook mode (smart, auto-disables itself when the player is interacting with objects)
- higher resolution support, up to 1024*768 (able to set custom ones as well, even widescreen)
- windowed mode
- scaling smoothing/filtering
- remappable keys
- no resolution changing when entering full map
- resolution and other settings now stored outside the savegames, eliminating the need to always set them anew once a game is started
- storing the settings externally also allows the log audio to be enabled by default
- can make screenshots by hitting printscreen (stored in \res\gen)
- couple of fixes to scaling, brightness and onscreen text

This is pretty much as good as it gets without a source port or an engine clone - I have to say that I'm quite impressed what a little cooperation between the IP owners and the community can accomplish. That reminds me, the Night Dive team says hello, and thanks everyone for all the support and mods - and as a token of appreciation, five free keys have been provided, first five (registered) users posting here (asking for a key) will receive one via pm.

So, what are you waiting for? The smoothest Citadel ever awaits.
Attachments (newest on top):
index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nuff said my ass. More like "look at how old skool i am lel"

Bullshit, I hate nostalgiafaggotry, hipster anti-graphics-whorism and grognard poseurship more than anyone and my Codex track record is clear on this. Vast majority of the 80s games are unplayable for me simply because I can't into wireframe and EGA and don't even get me started on modern pixel games.

But games like Krondor or SS1 are still great even tho they seem pretty ugly by now. And SS1 at launch wasn't just great, it was a fucking revelation - the engine, the gameplay, the uber cool, mature vibe of it all (up until then virtually all games were incredibly :happytrollboy:writing and plot-wise), the music (THE FUCKING MUSIC1!1!!1!) all of it totally groundbreaking. Doug Curch must've been high on the brain juice when he designed it. To this very day there are only a handful of games that don't require you to completely nuke your adult brain in order to enjoy them and SS1 was probably the first of the bunch.

Both SS2 and Deux Ex are great games but both feel like a work of a skilled designer taught by a genius. My simple proof is Levine's career - since he left Church's tutelage his work got shittier and shittier, ending with BI, the most overhyped piece of fucking nothingness in a generation.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You didn't have to shit on SS2 to praise SS1. Comparing SS2 to a total shitfest like 2010 makes you look like a try hard.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this Enhanced Edition simply the Portable Version that was released by fans a while back - and then taken down only just recently? Looking at the forum page, it seems like that's not exactly the case and it's some sort of Frankenstein version with mods of already existing mods. Weird.

Definitely putting it on my wishlist at least.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You didn't have to shit on SS2 to praise SS1. Comparing SS2 to a total shitfest like 2010 makes you look like a try hard.

Saying 2010 is a total shitfest makes you look like a tryhard. Compared to 2001 sure but to all sci-fi movies ever created? Please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom