Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thirded. I can't very well place why exactly I found the gameplay dull, but perhaps it was the long times of just moving. Not killing enemies, not jumping over perilous traps, just...swimming along. Moving stuff. Maybe fight a thing for a few seconds. No real puzzles to speak of either.

It's like the antithesis to La Mulana.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I guess it does lack the early combat of other metroidvanias and takes a couple of hours to get going ,but i do remember later you get actual puzzles and the combat ramps up after you get your shooter form.

spekkio

Arcane
I finshed it and liked it a lot. Just don't expect a real metroidvania, but rather an exploration game or sth.

For anybody interested in metroidvanias ,gog has released aquaria.

It is a fun underwater metroidvania made by the same guy who made spelunky.
Here is a pretty good review of it :

Why are independent games so terrible? That swimming level in the first Ninja Turtles game for the NES is the worst and some asshole makes an entire game out of it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
JudasIscariot Have you heared about this amazing game? Please shed some light on it at the next GOG meeting, and acquire the rights. Kthxbai:

Blackstaff

Arbiter
An old rpg series from the 80's is coming to GOG in the next two weeks.

Watch at around 7.50.

I say Wizardry or SSI gold Box :dance:

Take your pick :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Robert Sirotek said on Matt Chat that he was going to bring back Wizardry 1-5, maybe he finally got around to doing that.

Alternatively, it might be an SSI RPG courtesy of Ubisoft who have been releasing stuff on GOG recently. But not Gold Box - I'm thinking Questron, Phantasie, one of those.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's hard to say. Wizardry seems to be in the lead if the 70/80's time window is right, but Ubisoft seems to be open to discuss with other dev right now about releasing old games ( http://af.gog.com/forum/general/the...oft_to_rerelease_myst_3_4/post1?as=1649904300 ), so I think it wouldn't be wise to completely rule out the gold box series :desu:

The current thinking is that Ubisoft don't have permission to rerelease the Gold Box games due to D&D licensing shenanigans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Alternatively, it might be an SSI RPG courtesy of Ubisoft who have been releasing stuff on GOG recently. But not Gold Box - I'm thinking Questron, Phantasie, one of those.
A Phantasie Trilogy with all 3 games running on an ST emulator would be pretty sweet, would buy as soon as it comes out if they do this. Sadly, they'll probably just slap the DOS versions of 1 and 3 and call it a day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
OK, the video also says they've been negotiating for four years to get this game and that it's going to be something "huge". With that much hassle maybe it IS Gold Box. On the other hand, the mention of "70s-80s" makes me think they're too "new" for that.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wizardry 1-5 or Phantasie would be sweet. The Magic Candle too.

As Sceptic said though, it'd be the DOS version of Phantasie which isn't the best one.

Although if it's really a super huge release and not just PR hype as usual, then who knows, maybe they have managed to get the Gold Box games' licensing issues resolved somehow.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
War Wind has and awesome atmosphere, a good background and a very different campaign story context depending on the tribe. The basic gameplay is not really assymetric, though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, JudasIscariot, since you're getting these old Infogrames adventure games now, how about getting this one next?

Gal_Eternam_0000.jpg

Damn that game was trippy. :thumbsup: I think it used the same "engine" as Shadow of the Comet.

At it has even been promoted by Ross "Freeman's mind" Scott, so more than one million sales is guaranteed. ;)

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The TSI guys had meetings with Wizards of the Coast as well as Ubisoft last year and if I had to take a guess Shelley was probably inquiring about the Gold Box Games. Maybe we will see the result of those meetings soon on GoG.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wizardry 1-5 or Phantasie would be sweet. The Magic Candle too.
Oh yeah, Magic Candle would be pretty sweet too, and they're not hard to configure for a pre-packaged DOSBox. Wiz 1-5 would be awesome but here as well I don't think the DOS version is the best. Infinitron's "four years" quote makes me think it's probably not MC though. Much as I'd love to see them release the Gold Box games they're not of much interest to me personally since I already have them in multiple compilations.

A horse of course

How come stuff like Chaos Gate made it but Heroquest isn't on GoG? Anyone know? I mean it's breddy easy to get hold of PC/Amiga versions on the high seas, but still...

MaGoG

DaveO

Erudite
I'm not sure who owns SSI's catalog of games(looks like Ubisoft if Wikipedia is correct). I'm not sure that Phantasie would garner much interest nowadays. There are quite a few games in SSI's catalog that I'd be interested in. The Roadwar series and Shard of Spring/Demon's Winter come to mind.
IF Gold Box ever comes out on GoG, I can guarantee a huge amount of sales and possibly breaking the GoG servers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom