Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Bruticis

I am sure there's been feedback good and bad regarding the shelf already :)
Wait, what? You've removed a functionality (manual sorting) and you're happy with the result since you've received some positive feedback? Wtf is going on.

Just because we've received SOME positive feedback doesn't mean we are resting on our laurels.
The only that gave you positive feedback for the shelf fuck up was Gabe Newell himself.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
...It only costs you 12 fuckin' bucks for the boxed edition?!

I spent 100 on mine.
:negative:
Yes, but it is a very bare-bones boxed version (Blu-Ray sized box with just the DVD, short manual and Steam code). That is why GOG Delux Edition was the better deal for me.

:Flash:

Arcane
Wait, what? You've removed a functionality (manual sorting) and you're happy with the result since you've received some positive feedback? Wtf is going on.

Just because we've received SOME positive feedback doesn't mean we are resting on our laurels.
How did this positive feedback look like?
"I'm really happy that you removed the manual sort option, it really annoyed me that I had to avoid accidentally clicking on that option."
"I'm really happy that you removed the box shots, now I can buy all my games on steam without that nostalgia feeling driving me to GOG."
"I really like not being able to display all games on one page anymore. I'm soo addicted to flipping pages!"

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

How did this positive feedback look like?
"I'm really happy that you removed the manual sort option, it really annoyed me that I had to avoid accidentally clicking on that option."
"I'm really happy that you removed the box shots, now I can buy all my games on steam without that nostalgia feeling driving me to GOG."
"I really like not being able to display all games on one page anymore. I'm soo addicted to flipping pages!"
This! I can't imagine anyone on this planet to be happy with the missing features stated above!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hey, JudasIscariot, since you're getting these old Infogrames adventure games now, how about getting this one next?

Gal_Eternam_0000.jpg

Damn that game was trippy. :thumbsup: I think it used the same "engine" as Shadow of the Comet.

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

1) The infamous save error that won't let you auto-save or manual save is still here. I thought GOG would've taken care of that. 2) The voice acting is different than I last remembered. I assumed Prisoner of Ice has 2 versions, each with different voice actors. I prefer the one that GOG didn't use.

Hmmm. Is this accurate, especially the save problem? Is there a fix or patch for this?

Grim Monk

Arcane
How in holy hell did they get Shadow of the Horned Rat to run on modern systems? It's one of those annoying cusp games after running on windows became the standard, but before direct draw had a stable API everyone used.

I've never had any luck running it on any NT based operating system. Might buy it again just so I don't have to figure it out.

Apparently they did a very poor job of it, if one were to read the user reviews for the game.

1) The infamous save error that won't let you auto-save or manual save is still here. I thought GOG would've taken care of that. 2) The voice acting is different than I last remembered. I assumed Prisoner of Ice has 2 versions, each with different voice actors. I prefer the one that GOG didn't use.

Hmmm. Is this accurate, especially the save problem? Is there a fix or patch for this?

JudasIscariot

GOG.com originally not only sold Old Games, but assurance that they perform reasonably on modern systems.

A "Slap On DOSBox And Put It Up For Sale If Intro Video Works" approach will lead to customer trust erosion.

I actually :oops: like tweaking configs, digging up fan-patches, and tuning everything to run good...
But I'm not your main customer base, most people can't be bothered and want ease of use.

I've highlighted this as it is starting to became a nasty pattern.
I can count over a dozen games that worked extremely poorly out of the box.

Also some older releases have easily fixable problems that have been ignored for years.
For Example:
"One Whole Unit Blood" CD soundtrack is both an incorrect rip (resulting in inferior quality), and not looping correctly (fixed by using a new version of DOSBox).
The problem had multiple threads in your Support Forum since 2011, and the community provided fixes.
The GOG team has not still bothered to Update with a fixed "Store Release Version".
Is it too much :rpgcodex:work to make a new installer even when the community has already volunteered all the fixes for you?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hey, JudasIscariot, since you're getting these old Infogrames adventure games now, how about getting this one next?

[Eternam]

Damn that game was trippy. I think it used the same "engine" as Shadow of the Comet.

It did. Drakkhen was the firist game to use the engine, then Eternam and finally Shadow of the Comet. AFAIK no other games used the engine. Drakkhen and Eternam had outdoors 3D sections which were a double-edged sword - they created this sense of a large world, yet impacted the atmosphere of the games greatly.

And yes, Eternam is one trippy fucking game. That first castle is unreal.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
GOG is dead to me ever since Steam brought regional pricing to brazil. Games are ~30% cheaper on Steam and it doesn't require an international credit card to buy them. Twitcher 1&2 are probably forever going to be the only games I ever bought on GOG

But GOG installers make for good torrents. :M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GOG is dead to me ever since Steam brought regional pricing to brazil. Games are ~30% cheaper on Steam and it doesn't require an international credit card to buy them. Twitcher 1&2 are probably forever going to be the only games I ever bought on GOG
I could list dozens of classics which Gog sells, but Steam doesn't, but I just leave it to you to find them.

thesoup

Arcane
I could list dozens of classics which Gog sells, but Steam doesn't, but I just leave it to you to find them.
And how many of them go straight into the pockets of classic developers?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
???

Ah yes, I assume Gaben himself tracks down the developers of the classic games available on Steam and not only gives them a big share of the profits but he also sucks them off like he learned from all his fanboys.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
???

Ah yes, I assume Gaben himself tracks down the developers of the classic games available on Steam and not only gives them a big share of the profits but he also sucks them off like he learned from all his fanboys.
I believe his point is that it doesn't matter where those titles are available as there ain't much reason to buy them in the first place.

thesoup

Arcane
???

I believe his point is that it doesn't matter where those titles are available as there ain't much reason to buy them in the first place.
This. I don't buy games for the novelty of having a complete library / shelf. I buy them to vote with my wallet. I'm not gonna buy Planescape: Torment so Herve can fill his coffers, or System Shock 2 so EA can still suck the fun out of everything.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Actually SS2 rights are now owned by Night Dive Studios. There's almost a trend now of new companies dedicated to digging for buried IPs to buy and then sell on online platforms.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
What? :lol: Who the fuck cares about that? I support the devs which are around, but I don't give a flying fuck who gets the money for 2 decade old games. I use GOG and Steam because it is convenient to have my games in these libraries.

pippin

If you bought Bloodlines on Steam, you gave moneys to Bobby Kotick.

thesoup

Arcane

If you bought Bloodlines on Steam, you gave moneys to Bobby Kotick.
Exactly my point.

What? :lol: Who the fuck cares about that? I support the devs which are around, but I don't give a flying fuck who gets the money for 2 decade old games. I use GOG and Steam because it is convenient to have my games in these libraries.
Good goy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom