Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Did anyone tried a beta of Galaxy? I downloaded the alpha last week, and I signed up to the beta on Monday, but CDPR haven't sent me shit so far.

Beta client should be in your library. I manually downloaded (via web) and installed it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did anyone tried a beta of Galaxy? I downloaded the alpha last week, and I signed up to the beta on Monday, but CDPR haven't sent me shit so far.

Beta client should be in your library. I manually downloaded (via web) and installed it.
Hm, it really is there. At least they could have sent me a message to look fo it there. Anyway, my library says it is not yet available, so I have to wait a little longer.

Turjan

Arcane
My alpha just auto-updated to version 1.0.0.871, which should be the beta. I didn't notice anything new except a few newly added games.

Lucky

Arcane
Go back and read this very thread. Half the posts in here are about the horrors of paying for something that was previously "free" on an abandonware site.

It's a legitimate concern when the people selling the game aren't the people who originally made it, but some IP vulture picking their carcass. I'll only buy those games if they're true classics I don't already have and are going on sale for pennies. Fortunately, that has yet to happen. I expect that most of those people who object to paying would change their minds if it turned out that the original developers (who usually got shafted) got most of the profits. You want to reward the actual creators, not someone who benefited from them going under. That's why, when I spot a self-published gem and have the cash to spare, I'll happily pay full price for it to support the developer.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did they raise the price of the Witcher III preorder? Was looking last week and it was 43 euros or so. Was about to buy it right now and it says 49.79. Wtf? No buy.
Also where is Galaxy? Got a newsletter with big ass button saying GET IT NAO and when I got there was greeted with "We'll contact you shortly". Not cool with emails from the future.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Go back and read this very thread. Half the posts in here are about the horrors of paying for something that was previously "free" on an abandonware site.

Well some people feel rightfully disgusted at the practice of rewarding big publishers who loot the corpses of developers...

nGFjzEs.png

(Especially when their shortsighted exploitativeness was the thing responsible for the developers demise.)

Its about having a strange notion that IP laws were originally thought up to reward creators.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heyy, maybe they get the Steel Panthers series in their catalog now too.

The source code was released ages ago.
There are already a bunch of Freeware Remakes of the series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Panthers
Rights to the game and source code were acquired by Matrix Games who developed and released as freeware a remake based on the Steel Panthers III engine (but limited to the timespan of World War II), Steel Panthers: World at War! The latest available patch version is 8.403. No further development is planned.

Link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/297/downloads/

There also exists ongoing development by The Camo Workshop based on the Steel Panthers II code. The Camo Workshop introduced new features to their two Windows based versions of Steel Panthers. Steel Panthers: World War 2 (WinSPWW2) features battles from 1930 through 1946, with an extreme vast array of OOB (Order of battle). Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank (WinSPMBT) features battles from 1945 to 2020, with 90 different nations to allow for the simulation of a variety of different real and hypothetical conflicts. Those versions are still maintained and improved.

In 2005 Shrapnel Games took over distribution of SPCAMO's output, handling the distribution of the Windows version of their games. WinSPMBT was released in June of that year as a free download. A CD version with added bonus features was also offered as a commercial product (though the free version of the game itself is a full wargame already), the first time SPCAMO had charged for one of its games. WinSPWW2 was released on May 15, 2006.

Links:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Now that you mention this, I do remember playing World at War at some point; also remember that it was - at least back then - almost impossible because the map scrolling was borked (lightning fast and uncontrollable).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Did they raise the price of the Witcher III preorder? Was looking last week and it was 43 euros or so. Was about to buy it right now and it says 49.79. Wtf? No buy.
Also where is Galaxy? Got a newsletter with big ass button saying GET IT NAO and when I got there was greeted with "We'll contact you shortly". Not cool with emails from the future.

You have to put it in the cart to see the 43€ price (if you own TW1 / 2) now.

Bruticis

It's a legitimate concern when the people selling the game aren't the people who originally made it, but some IP vulture picking their carcass. I'll only buy those games if they're true classics I don't already have and are going on sale for pennies. Fortunately, that has yet to happen. I expect that most of those people who object to paying would change their minds if it turned out that the original developers (who usually got shafted) got most of the profits. You want to reward the actual creators, not someone who benefited from them going under. That's why, when I spot a self-published gem and have the cash to spare, I'll happily pay full price for it to support the developer.
And you'd be suspecting wrong. Eurotards are the cheapest, most entitled people on this planet in this galaxy (see what I did here?). You don't get to pick and chose the way the business world works based on your own personal ethics code.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

And you'd be suspecting wrong. Eurotards are the cheapest, most entitled people on this planet in this galaxy (see what I did here?). You don't get to pick and chose the way the business world works based on your own personal ethics code.
What is this discussion even about? Abandonware was only legal in the feverish delusions of the people running the sites, the whole concept has no legal leg to stand on. If you were ok with downloading it, just bloody pirate the games now that they are on GOG (with an easy one click installer provided by our Polish friends just for your pirating convenience), or something.

Also that beta client is impressively bad.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I see no reason to 'try' this service when most of the stuff you download aren't that huge in the first place.
The biggest game I own in GoG is just TW1 so far.

cw8

Cipher
I see no reason to 'try' this service when most of the stuff you download aren't that huge in the first place.
The biggest game I own in GoG is just TW1 so far.

The new client caters more to the people who complain about having no autopatching on GOG and some weird minority who wants the other steam features. I've got a few "big" games, mostly the Kickstarter games, the TWs and the more recent games like Blackguards, Shadow Warrior etc. Might not be big to most folks but definitely big when on singnet 7mpbs.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron

You have to put it in the cart to see the 43€ price (if you own TW1 / 2) now.
Thx, got it.

catfood

AGAIN
Honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to with this client is the internet match-making. I don't give a damn about achievements, auto-patching (I can install a patch on my own thank you very much) and other nonsense.

Lucky

Arcane

Actually, you do. The laws of business aren't somehow immutable and decided on only by business, though they really want to you to think that. Consumers are not obligated to play along. The way IP can be scavenged right now is part of how the current system works, but I don't have to reward the people abusing it. I can also encourage other people not to reward them by informing them of how their money isn't actually going to the original developers. Companies try to play on that ignorance and you'd be surprised how often you get gamers who see this as their chance to finally support the people from their youth. At the same time, I can lobby for initiatives that make doing that kind of thing far harder. Not easy, considering the opposition, but change is possible.

If Alexis is also to be believed, a third of GOG visitors are from the US. So the site its consumer base is hardly limited to just Europe.

Turjan

Arcane
Galaxy should just be in your games folder.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Got the email with the beta key like half an hour ago. So it all good now.

Edit:
Tried it for a bit, its like the webpage in a app. Hope autopatching will work when W3 gets released.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom