Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

:Flash:

Arcane
It looks like the website to me.

The client only offers an "install game" option, no "download" option. Does that mean the game gets insta-installed, with no backup of the downloaded file(s)?

Turjan

Arcane
The client only offers an "install game" option, no "download" option. Does that mean the game gets insta-installed, with no backup of the downloaded file(s)?
Yes, that's correct. You have to download backup files the old-fashioned way.

This, combined with the fact that the client only recognizes very few installations done via the old downloader, makes the client somewhat superfluous at the moment.

Bruticis

So some people wanted pictures I think.

nyCvCsA.jpg

02NXY5R.png

NadSTO5.jpg
It's the website running in an app. Groundbreaking.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
...aaand downloading some 20GB worth of "updates" for W2...

:Flash:

Arcane
What I don't get is that the reason for the delayed release of Divinity:Original Sin on GOG was that it was supposed to be the Galaxy Launch title. A few days after the release date, they realized they wouldn't make it and released it on the website. Now it's a year later and this is the result. How could they ever think this would be ready for the D:OS launch?

Deleted member 7219

I think they aim to provide the functionality of Steam (a nice client to keep all your games together) without the DRM (you can still download the installers separately).

I think it is a good idea.

Bruticis

It's useless shit, there's nothing compelling anyone to even assist with alpha testing. It took this long to get this? LMAO.

Funny, people said the exact same thing about Steam back in 2004.
Meanwhile, over a dozen other companies have come out with shitty clients and none of them decided to start in the stone ages like GOG galaxy just because they were new clients.

Deleted member 7219

It's useless shit, there's nothing compelling anyone to even assist with alpha testing. It took this long to get this? LMAO.

Meanwhile, over a dozen other companies have come out with shitty clients and none of them decided to start in the stone ages like GOG galaxy just because they were new clients.

You are ignoring the one important feature GOG has over all of them. DRM free.

I think people complaining about GOG Galaxy should get a Dumbfuck or Possibly Retarded tag, you don't have to use it, but people who do get all the advantages of Steam (game library, playtime, achievements coming soon) and none of the DRM.

Bruticis

You are ignoring the one important feature GOG has over all of them. DRM free.

I think people complaining about GOG Galaxy should get a Dumbfuck or Possibly Retarded tag, you don't have to use it, but people who do get all the advantages of Steam (game library, playtime, achievements coming soon) and none of the DRM.
The point of GOG galaxy is DRM free? Ya, a dumbfuck tag needs to be handed out alright only it should go to the dumbfuck eurotard shill. Wake me when the client has a few features from the clients that have been out for the last 5 years.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The client is terrible. What exactly is the point of this thing at this stage?
Auto-patching seems to single reason for having it.

That too. I think it will be very helpful with The Witcher 3, with all the post-release DLC and inevitable ENHANCED EDITION patches.

The GoG Witcher editions all use a launcher that takes care of patching, I'm guessing 3 will use the same since Galaxy is still in alpha.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The point of GOG galaxy is DRM free? Ya, a dumbfuck tag needs to be handed out alright only it should go to the dumbfuck eurotard shill. Wake me when the client has a few features from the clients that have been out for the last 5 years.

Personally I'd kill for a properly functioning GOG client with the patching functionality of Steam. I've been bitching about it for quite some time now. When GOG used to sell only old classics no client was necessary. But now when they sell brand new games too that are getting updates every week or so automatic patching is sorely, sorely needed.

Deleted member 7219

I can confirm as a dedicated TIE Fighter CD-fag that the new, updated edition on GOG.com (the 1995 edition) is definitely the one you want, and the one GOG should have launched with originally. All the other versions are shit.

This version is still DOS-based, with gouraud shading and the iMUSE soundtrack, but has all the extra campaigns, upped flight res and voiceovers. GOG have also fixed the joypad problem that was noticeable when using a Xbox 360 controller. They've taken care of everything else too, it is so nice not to have to do custom stuff in Dosbox to get it working. No lag waiting for the CD to spin up during briefings is awesome. Only fault - make sure you go to the game folder and launch the setup so you can configure the music to 'General MIDI', otherwise it just uses Soundblaster 16 and sounds a bit shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally I'd kill for a properly functioning GOG client with the patching functionality of Steam. .
This. I love everything What steam offers, except for Drm and that it locks the games to one account. If i get a gog client with the functionality of steam, it will be heaven.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
...aaand downloading some 20GB worth of "updates" for W2...
Check your installed programs afterwards and see whether it has been installed twice.
Nope, thankfully not. I guess the way the program works is: check whether the game is in the newest version, if not, check if it's in any of the couple of latest versions that have separate updates to the latest, if not install the whole thing again.

t

Arcane
Patron
Library in the Galaxy sucks balls. No manual sorting mode. Searching by genre laughable -- hey, did you know that Ultima 9 is an RPG, but Wizardry 7 isn't?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I can confirm as a dedicated TIE Fighter CD-fag that the new, updated edition on GOG.com (the 1995 edition) is definitely the one you want, and the one GOG should have launched with originally. All the other versions are shit.

This version is still DOS-based, with gouraud shading and the iMUSE soundtrack, but has all the extra campaigns, upped flight res and voiceovers. GOG have also fixed the joypad problem that was noticeable when using a Xbox 360 controller. They've taken care of everything else too, it is so nice not to have to do custom stuff in Dosbox to get it working. No lag waiting for the CD to spin up during briefings is awesome. Only fault - make sure you go to the game folder and launch the setup so you can configure the music to 'General MIDI', otherwise it just uses Soundblaster 16 and sounds a bit shit.

Can also confirm this counts for the X-wing update as well. They finally got their hands on the definite edition with the addition of the 1994 CD one. Nostalgia also hasn't colored my memories. X-wing is still a damn fine game.

EDIT: Wow. So much of their mission design is awesome and even trumps the likes of Freespace. One of the earliest (difficult) missions has you defending a group of ships that are docking with a frigate. Que an imperial frigate jumping in at one side of those ships and releasing a wave of tie fighters and bombers before immediately jumping out. As you fight those forces the frigate jumps in again at the other side of your ships. Releasing another wave of fighters and bombers. Simple, elegant and a damn good challenge as you have to prioritise targets, move fast and have to toy with energy use to actually be able to intercept both groups.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom