Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Took me solid 5 minutes to clean up after those changes. Looks way more glorious now with three lines of Ultima.

pippin

To be honest I thought this change was going to be worse than what we have right now. It's certainly more comfortable for me to install those tiny DOS games one by one rather than using the same installer for 3-6 of them.
However, the Disciple 2 version got divided, while the first Disciple is still one entry. Both games, 1 and 2, are "gold" versions. But overall I'm not against this change, although it caused some ammount of butthurt among the gog community, although to be fair most things do, it seems.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Finally got Space Rangers HD. Tried buying it on Steam last week for $16.99. Fortunately I didn't have enough left on my prepaid Visa for it to go through. But there was $4.99 left on it!

Alchemist

Arcane
One upside of the un-bundling is I discovered a game I didn't know I had - Crystals of Arborea, which came with the Ishar trilogy.

I wonder why they chose the SNES version for the box cover of Might & Magic II...
8CNkvsI.png

It's a nice cover and I love that cheesy 80's fantasy art - but it should be the classic PC map version (like M&M Book 1).

:Flash:

Arcane
One upside of the un-bundling is I discovered a game I didn't know I had - Crystals of Arborea, which came with the Ishar trilogy.

I wonder why they chose the SNES version for the box cover of Might & Magic II...

It's a nice cover and I love that cheesy 80's fantasy art - but it should be the classic PC map version (like M&M Book 1).
GOG covers never made much sense. Sometimes it's the whole original cover, sometimes it's a a part of the original cover, sometimes it's from a non-pc version, sometimes it's the cover of another game in the series with the number replaced and sometimes it's something completely new, which a GOG guy threw together in photoshop. It's a shame.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK?!

Fallout 1 just vanished from my shelf.

:Flash:

Arcane
WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK?!

Fallout 1 just vanished from my shelf.
Hmm, it's still there for me. GOG seems to frequently have hiccups when they reorganize things, so I'd just wait, it'll probably reappear.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Same to me - Fallout vanished from my account.

Yeah, I also appreciated possibility to install smaller (Incubation instead of the whole Battle Isle series or Betrayal at Krondor without crappy 3D sequel).

belated

Augur

t

Arcane
Patron
My F1 is back. Cool.

You guys recon the Galaxy will be ready just one year after the original release date or will it still have some "micro-issues remaining" in August?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's time to take the test, again: http://af.gog.com/news/test_our_download_speeds?as=1649904300

It's no secret that GOG.com (the platform and the community gathered around it) is growing at an exceptional rate all around the world. We're trying to keep that in mind as we look for new ways to improve our service for everyone. Obviously, one of the most important functions for all of you is downloading your games - preferably as fast and as reliably as possible.

For some of you this might sound familiar (yep it’s our 3rd time!), once again we are in the process of benchmarking various download locations and trying to get the most representative sample of worldwide results. That means wee need to look at as many unique ISPs / cities / countries as possible, and we need a little help from you! Below you will find a simple test that requires just one click and won't take more than 2 minutes of your time to complete:

2015 CDN TEST

Your help is greatly appreciated here! Of course you can run the test as many times as possible (preferably at different locations and different times of day). Oh, and keep in mind that we used a little bit of Flash in this test, so if you want to participate please make sure you have the flash player installed and/or you are not using any flash blocking plugins in your browser.

No reward this time, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
And no stats feedback at all? Pffft. Those GOG goons have something to learn about customer gratification in this day and age.:argh:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They should roll out their client asap, that's what they should do. In the olden days, with only olden games, a web delivery interface was ok. But today, new games are being updated twice a week and a more convenient patching through a client - like Steam does - would come in damn handy.

I've always prefered GoG for new releases (where available) but honestly, after some bumpy experiences with some of the newer games (Wasteland 2, Don't Starve, Kronos) I'm seriously debating whether or not to buy PoE on GoG or Steam.

Atomkilla

Arcane
GoG Galaxy Alpha is pretty broken right now, though and not particularly interesting-looking either. I honestly hope GoG invests more time and money in it, ASAP.

Sizzle

Arcane
They should roll out their client asap, that's what they should do. In the olden days, with only olden games, a web delivery interface was ok. But today, new games are being updated twice a week and a more convenient patching through a client - like Steam does - would come in damn handy.

I've always prefered GoG for new releases (where available) but honestly, after some bumpy experiences with some of the newer games (Wasteland 2, Don't Starve, Kronos) I'm seriously debating whether or not to buy PoE on GoG or Steam.

The PoE patch arrived on GOG two days after after it did on Steam. Not ideal, I agree, but not a deal breaker either :)

pippin

I don't believe CDPR is 100% guilty of devs not handing out patches right away, but it's not the first time it happens. Remember what happened with Original Sin's release.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The PoE patch arrived on GOG two days after after it did on Steam. Not ideal, I agree, but not a deal breaker either :)

Two days? Uff.

Well, depends on who you ask. For hardcore gamers who play almost nonstop since the launch it's an eternity, literally. And let's be honest, who else buys such games. Certainly not konsole kasuals.

Turjan

Arcane
If the client did that, it would be okay. It doesn't. No choice of language yet, either, so better don't travel to some country where you don't speak the language.
Oh, it finally got rolled out? I had already checked a few times.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If the client did that, it would be okay. It doesn't. No choice of language yet, either, so better don't travel to some country where you don't speak the language.

I'm of the impression the current Galaxy is just a stump and a the actual client will be similar to Steam. At least that's what I've understood from the initial pitches.

I personally think one of the reasons for ther Witcher 3 delay is they wanna roll out the game together with the finished client so they can patch it on the fly.

Turjan

Arcane

I'm of the impression the current Galaxy is just a stump and a the actual client will be similar to Steam. At least that's what I've understood from the initial pitches.

I personally think one of the reasons for ther Witcher 3 delay is they wanna roll out the game together with the finished client so they can patch it on the fly.
This may well be. Just checked for the PoE patch, and the client still doesn't know about it. It's in the library though.
The client still claims my unpatched game is "up to date".

The website doesn't list the update, in my "new and updated" tab, either. You have to go and look under the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom