Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Luka-boy

Arcane
XvT, Alliance, Rogue Squadron, Rebellion, Empire at War, Republic Commando, Dark Forces II
:bounce:
But I'm still not giving them any money until they offer the Collector CDs for X-wing and TIE Fighter. It even said in the store for a long time that they were included together with the floppy and 98 editions. They fixed the text recently, but I still haven't seen any statement from GOG about that. Does anybody know what's the deal with that?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't really like Star Wars.

luke-skywalker.gif

cw8

Cipher
In case you haven't noticed, they aren't in the habit of releasing all their new games at once

I know, I'm a regular on the GOG forums.

pc gamer said:
I didn't look at the press release GOG sent out, which actually names the final three games due to appear on 27 January. These are those:
  • Star Wars™ Republic Commando
  • Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
  • Star Wars™ Starfighter

"Final 3 games", I took that wrongly. I forgot there's a 3rd wave coming.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is Republic Commando any good? Always wanted to try it...

Yeah, it's the last good Star Wars video game. It might look quasi-popamole at first, but it's got some really brilliant setpieces, and while the squad mechanics are very simple, they are also very organic and fluid. If I had to draw a comparison, RC is like a much better Rainbow Six: Vegas (also both of them were released around the same time iirc)

EDIT: Okay, scratch that, it's not the last good one. Empire at War was released later than RC.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is it any good? :P

I have not played an adventure since King's Quest II. I think it's time...
It's very good, better than most wadjet eye titles individually and with some hard puzzles, with multiple endings too.
edit: i just realized that 'wadjet eye' will not mean anything for you... they're most of the current competition.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Is it any good? :P

I have not played an adventure since King's Quest II. I think it's time...
There is almost no overlap between KQ2 and Primordia -- they may nominally be in the same genre, but that's about it. You can't die in Primordia, the interface is via a mouse (not a parser, with one exception), it's much more serious, it has a considerable amount of dialogue, the puzzles employ a different kind of logic, it's much less open, there's no score, there are fewer items and less optional content, etc., etc. Really the only commonality is similar camera angles and the fact that both have inventories and inventory-based puzzles.

Players seem to like the game -- something like 97.5% positive reviews on Steam, 4.5/5 on GOG, 8.8 on Metacritic. Major critics were pretty negative on it. The Codex seems to like it. So did NeoGAF, so that suggests a pretty broad appeal. I think some players tend to overstate how good it is -- in my view, it is not in the same league as the really good adventure games of the 90s, but compares favorably to stuff made later. It's about 6 hours to play. I think $3 is a reasonable price for it, though my preference at this stage would be for it to be free or $1.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
There is almost no overlap between KQ2 and Primordia -- they may nominally be in the same genre, but that's about it. You can't die in Primordia, the interface is via a mouse (not a parser, with one exception), it's much more serious, it has a considerable amount of dialogue, the puzzles employ a different kind of logic, it's much less open, there's no score, there are fewer items and less optional content, etc., etc. Really the only commonality is similar camera angles and the fact that both have inventories and inventory-based puzzles.

Players seem to like the game -- something like 97.5% positive reviews on Steam, 4.5/5 on GOG, 8.8 on Metacritic. Major critics were pretty negative on it. The Codex seems to like it. So did NeoGAF, so that suggests a pretty broad appeal. I think some players tend to overstate how good it is -- in my view, it is not in the same league as the really good adventure games of the 90s, but compares favorably to stuff made later. It's about 6 hours to play. I think $3 is a reasonable price for it, though my preference at this stage would be for it to be free or $1.

Please don't listen to the major critics as half the time they don't know a good game from their...I'll let you finish that sentence but my opinion still stands.

pippin

Oh, Jedi Academy would be very nice indeed. It's one of my favorite SW games, it promised pew pew+light saber action and it delivered. 12 years old me struggled hard in that stage where you were supposed to fight Bobba Fett.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Just in case anyone's wondering, GOG is having problems working with Firefox. They're working on a fix, but for now "If possible, please try using a different browser. The affected sections of the website should work on a dirrerent browser than Firefox, but may fail as well if that other browser doesn't have any part of our site in its cache."

I was getting various rendering anomalies and a blank checkout step when I wanted to order... Primordia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom