Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Morkar Left

Nice! I'm curious how they get the amiga versions to run easily.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Eh,they probably use an emulator like winuae the same way they use dosbox for the old pc games

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Eh,they probably use an emulator like winuae the same way they use dosbox for the old pc games

But unlike DosBox, and (I think) the Atari ST OS ROMs, the Workbench ROMs needed to make the emulator work are not free. So they can't just bundle a working copy of WinUAE with every copy of the Amiga games.

Morkar Left

Or they did some deal to have them included. I expect this because I don't know how it should work without. I'm curious about the installation and softare/gui.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will put my money into this, if only to encourage GOG to get some more of these Amiga classics. There are some Commodore 64/Amiga CRPGs I had missed in my youth that I need some catching up on.

:takemymoney:

I pulled this off of Wikipedia:

I'll probably only go for Defender of the Crown from Cinemaware. I also had SDI on my Atari 130 XE, and it was fun but simple, so I may purchase it for the memories. Any other recommendations?

Here is my CRPG wish list from other amiga companies.

Captive
Hired Guns
Perihelion
Black Crypt
Evil's Doom
Fate: Gates of Dawn

Edit: After Azalin's post I ...

:updatedmytxt:

Ambermoon
Amberstar
Liberation

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Aren't the Amiga versions available for free on Cinemaware's site?

They were for years, but not any more...

Edit
: (Thank God for the Internet Archive)
https://web.archive.org/web/20100703042031/http://www.cinemaware.com/vault.asp?vault=games
(Seems they were giving away the DOS versions as well.)

All hail GOG for convincing Cinemaware to undo a magnanimous gesture toward fans for sake of profit!

Officially Released FREEWARE gets taken down, and you'll soon be able to pay for it...

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Azalin

Wasn't Amberstar and Ambermoon released on other platforms, too, and thus not strictly Amiga? I heard they are pretty good, and I'd like to try them out too.

Onto another piece of interesting news, it looks like the Wasteland 2 page is up on the GOG site now, with a release date of September 19th. It still somehow has a 5-star rating despite not yet being fully released. :roll:

http://af.gog.com/news/preorder_wasteland_2_digital_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300

http://af.gog.com/game/wasteland_2_digital_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It costs 41 euros with a discount, will cost 45 euros fullprice. Isn't that a little too much for a low budget indie game? I thought it won't cost more than 35 euros.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It costs 41 euros with a discount, will cost 45 euros fullprice. Isn't that a little too much for a low budget indie game? I thought it won't cost more than 35 euros.

It's the Digital Deluxe edition. Regular isn't available yet and will be cheaper.

Koschey

Arcane
Wasn't Amberstar and Ambermoon released on other platforms, too, and thus not strictly Amiga? I heard they are pretty good, and I'd like to try them out too.

Amberstar also had DOS and Atari ST releases, but Ambermoon is Amiga only. You can get both (and a lot of other Thalion stuff) at the Thalion Webshrine.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Azalin

Onto another piece of interesting news, it looks like the Wasteland 2 page is up on the GOG site now, with a release date of September 19th. It still somehow has a 5-star rating despite not yet being fully released. :roll:

http://af.gog.com/news/preorder_wasteland_2_digital_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300

http://af.gog.com/game/wasteland_2_digital_deluxe_edition?as=1649904300
I think that was a bug, I just opened the link and it says ratings and review are not yet available.

Last edited by a moderator:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Aren't the Amiga versions available for free on Cinemaware's site?

They were for years, but not any more...

Edit
: (Thank God for the Internet Archive)
https://web.archive.org/web/20100703042031/http://www.cinemaware.com/vault.asp?vault=games
(Seems they were giving away the DOS versions as well.)

All hail GOG for convincing Cinemaware to undo a magnanimous gesture toward fans for sake of profit!

Officially Released FREEWARE gets taken down, and you'll soon be able to pay for it...

We don't go around convincing publishers to take down anything. We have better things to do than put our nose into people's business :)

Grim Monk

Arcane
We don't go around convincing publishers to take down anything. We have better things to do than put our nose into people's business :)

Listen Iscariot I DO like :| GOG for one reason, it pushes for DRM-Free distribution.

On the whole "enabling publisher conglomerates to profit off long dead developers" business model front, you'll only get stony silence from Me...

E9aU90L.jpg

And then GOG runs up and tugs on EA sleeve:
"Why you are just leaving those bodies lying around to rot."
"Don't you know we can arrange for you to sell the skin and bones for a profit..."

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Listen Iscariot I DO like :| GOG for one reason, it pushes for DRM-Free distribution.

On the whole "enabling publisher conglomerates to profit off long dead developers" business model front, you'll only get stony silence from Me...

E9aU90L.jpg

And then GOG runs up and tugs on EA sleeve:
"Why you are just leaving those bodies lying around to rot."
"Don't you know we can arrange for you to sell the skin and bones for a profit..."

If it wasn't us, then someone else would come around and do the same thing you are describing :)

Humppaleka

Cipher
I've only played Rainbow Six 3, are the earlier ones worth it or is 3 just the ultimate version of them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom