Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Sinatar

Arbiter
The steam version of Gothic 2 is completely busted thanks to a recentish Steam update.

Details?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39510/discussions/0/540739860836540764/

Long story short, Valve updated the gameoverlayrenderer.dll in steam which completely prevents Gothic 2 from launching. You can delete that DLL file, but steam redownloads it each time you launch steam, so you have to re-delete it every time you want to play G2. Shutting off the overlay in the game properties doesn't fix it either.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Can you just go to the game directory and launch from it without Steam? Just like some games?

Anyway - I tried to buy one of these games from Nordic when I discovered GOG switched currency to jewros. Last decent bastion of cheap games has fallen... whatever.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I like the new website design. The games pulled out is a bummer, but I already bought those I want anyway. And it is pretty cool from GOG that they give a huge discount on them before the game dissapear.

GOG: :love:
It's fucking ridiculous. Why do you change the layout of the store of old-school PC games just to make it look good on tablets? Or someone buys games via a tablet to play them later on a PC? It does not make any sense.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the new website design. The games pulled out is a bummer, but I already bought those I want anyway. And it is pretty cool from GOG that they give a huge discount on them before the game dissapear.

It's fucking ridiculous. Why do you change the layout of the store of old-school PC games just to make it look good on tablets? Or someone buys games via a tablet to play them later on a PC? It does not make any sense.
You are fucking retarded. In this day and age when every 2nd person owns a smartphone, and probably browses the internet on it, there is no excuse to have a site which looks like crap on those devices.

OMG, someone is buying a game using a smartphone. Call the cops! Wait, since GOG sells old games, maybe the site should look like some site from the 1990s. And one should only open it, if s/he uses a Pentium 386.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I like the new website design.

:love:
cactqOB.jpg

HUxNcEV.gif

Almost a year without buying anything on GoG. Keep up the good fight of adding more newshit, guys.

:rpgcodex:

I know the supply of old games was limited, but still...

:decline:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Was making an angry post about introducing regional pricing and making me wonder if I am not fucked like I was by STEAM, turned out that I can just go back to the good old USD's, thanks GOG for not being assholes.

OMG, someone is buying a game using a smartphone. Call the cops! Wait, since GOG sells old games, maybe the site should look like some site from the 1990s. And one should only open it, if s/he uses a Pentium 386.

I agree with that, making the site look like something out of the 90's (along with guestbook and animated gifs) would really make it more atmospheric.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It'd be cool if they could sell GET LAMP, a documentary about text adventures.

You can watch full movie (officially) at Youtube, though.

Alchemist

Arcane
What's the consensus on the Spellforce games? Worth grabbing at that price?

Thinking of getting Summoner as well...

Sinatar

Arbiter
What's the consensus on the Spellforce games? Worth grabbing at that price?

Like most hybrid games, the individual components pale compared to dedicated games in those genres, but the mix works pretty well in Spellforce. They are both really huge games too, you'll get plenty of play time out of them.

Divinity: Original Sin
Language options in movies, where?

You are fucking retarded. In this day and age when every 2nd person owns a smartphone, and probably browses the internet on it, there is no excuse to have a site which looks like crap on those devices.

Well, and there's the thing like insomnia sales and if you are in a place where one only has access to the internet through his phone/tablet, he can buy those games anywhere.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And adding hipster movies to the repertoire.

"Good" "Old" "Games".
GOG is not the abbrevation of good old games for a long time now. It was officially announced a while back. Also: OMG, you can buy old games and movies. The horror...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

buzz

Arcane
What an obnoxious idea that you should design a fucking PC-oriented service around a mobile-ready design. That worked well with Windows 8 ...
Of course, at least there it made some sense, because you could have a Windows Mobile phone.

But the whole point of GoG are PC games. Yeah, there are one or two monkeys out there who need to compulsively buy games while on the fucking bus or something instead of looking it up on the Internet and then buying it from the comfort of his computer, then maybe play it as well. But that's still a minority. Make a different phone-based version if you're so inclined, don't drag your majority down with it.
edit: or make an app

Last edited:

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
How are the black mirror games? I can't trust most GOG reviews because they're usually a sentence or two about how great a game was 20 years ago and five stars. Not to say that's the case with those two games, since they're fairly new. Still, codex opinions?

trustno1code

Prophet
Was making an angry post about introducing regional pricing and making me wonder if I am not fucked like I was by STEAM, turned out that I can just go back to the good old USD's, thanks GOG for not being assholes.
They're adding regional pricing (on top of the USD / local currency switch that's on everything now) ninja style to some newer titles though, so be vigilant if you're buying any
from them. They refund you the difference in store credit in those cases.

Cromwell

Arcane
How are the black mirror games? I can't trust most GOG reviews because they're usually a sentence or two about how great a game was 20 years ago and five stars. Not to say that's the case with those two games, since they're fairly new. Still, codex opinions?

The first one was rather good and had a good atmosphere, I find the second okish but nothing you have to play didnt eve bother with the third as a friend told me it went downhill from even the second. Dont play the second before the first, dont read spoilerish reviews if you wanna play it

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

They are pretty good. 1st one was kind of heavy on pixel hunts/stupid puzzles, IIRC, but it was very atmospheric. Then the title changed hands and a different dev did the 2nd and 3rd part - I think the 2nd might be the best one in the series, and the 3rd went kind of full retard, but was still alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom