Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The game I want to play with others exists only in my imagination as far as I'm aware.

Brother, that's exactly how I feel about tabletop, though I did play plenty of tabletop in the 1990s and early- to mid-2000s.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Top Dungeon Crawlers: 8 out of 10 post-2000
10. Demon's Souls 2009
9. Torchlight 2010
8. Nox 2000
7. Titan Quest 2006
6. Dungeon Siege 2002
5. Bard's Tale (remake) 2004
4. Gauntlet 1985 (arcade)
3. BG: Dark Alliance 2001
2. NWN 2002
1. Diablo 1996

:hmmm:

I gotta give credit to Gauntlet, though: it's almost as if they realized good games existed prior to Windows 95, though they made the unfortunate choice of a cheesy coin-eating arcade game instead one of the multitude of first person dungeon crawlers from the era.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
10. DS 2009
9. Torchlight 2010
8. Nox 2000
7. Titan Quest 2006
6. Dungeon Siege 2002
2. NWN 2002
1. Diablo 1996

:hmmm:

I gotta give credit to Gauntlet, though: it's almost like they realized good games existed prior Windows 95, though they made the unfortunate choice of a cheesy coin-eating arcade game instead one of the multitude of first person dungeon crawlers from the era.

The N64 Gauntlet should've been up there. A really psychedelic DC, with solid boss fights. I played it in the arcades and at home.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
GoG should try securing rights for Amiga games or even Apple II ones and C64 nes , and make them runnable through emulation. That would be tough both legally and technically but you know that'd be fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
GoG should try securing rights for Amiga games or even Apple II ones and C64 nes , and make them runnable through emulation. That would be tough both legally and technically but you know that'd be fun.

Shouldn't be that hard. Just secure a deal to sell Amiga Forever through GOG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They could never sell an Amiga game that would be immediately playable because it requires the licensed copy of a Workbench ROM's. That would be WAY too cost prohibitive.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
They could never sell an Amiga game that would be immediately playable because it requires the licensed copy of a Workbench ROM's. That would be WAY too cost prohibitive.

The cheapest version of Amiga Forever includes basic Workbench 1.3 and costs 10$. More advanced versions include more advanced versions of Workbench and costs 40-50$. But it would be a one time investment.
Games could be sold with an installer that makes them instantly playable if you have Amiga Forever. That would of course mean more work for GOG, though. If not, Amiga Forever is not that hard to use.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
GOG's whole selling point is "ready to play games". Licensing the Amiga Forever engine is just not going to be as cost effective as it is with packaging games with DOSBox (DOSBox is not that expensive. Otherwise STEAM and GOG would not be using it.).

I also don't feel there is that large of a market for just Amiga exclusive games.

And besides.... they could spend all that time and finally fucking figure out who owns the damn Gold Box Games rights and sell them on the site... :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But I love some of the Amiga exclusive games and the Gold Box series. Can't I dream of both?

To be honest, the list of Amiga Exclusive games is quite small (from what I remember off hand)

There ARE a few Amiga versions of games, that are much better then say the C64 or PC versions (like with the Gold Box Games, you could make your own Avatar, or at least one of them did If I am remembering correctly).

What is this list of Amiga Exclusive games that are worth having on GOG?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
GOG's whole selling point is "ready to play games". Licensing the Amiga Forever engine is just not going to be as cost effective as it is with packaging games with DOSBox (DOSBox is not that expensive. Otherwise STEAM and GOG would not be using it.).

But DOSBox is free, so there's no problem packaging it with each game.
But they could come up with other solutions, like a customer needs to have already purchased Amiga Forever to "unlock the buy Amiga games Achievement". Or offer a bigger than usual cut to the Workbench rights holders in exchange for packaging each Amiga game with AF.

I also don't feel there is that large of a market for just Amiga exclusive games.

Yes, I think that's actually a bigger problem.

And besides.... they could spend all that time and finally fucking figure out who owns the damn Gold Box Games rights and sell them on the site... :M

Yes, it's sad that the Gold Box games is fading into obscurity. Having old games available at GOG does much to preserve their legacy.

What is this list of Amiga Exclusive games that are worth having on GOG?

Black Crypt.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
10. Demon's Souls 2009
9. Torchlight 2010
8. Nox 2000
7. Titan Quest 2006
6. Dungeon Siege 2002
2. NWN 2002
1. Diablo 1996

Fail for calling Demon's Souls just "DS" when there's another game in the Top 10 that ALSO starts with D and S. (Corrected)

But for me the list itself reeks more of "Hey, there's this sub-genre of games that are Diablo clones (but don't call them that!) that didn't really become popular until Diablo 2 came along, so let's make a Top 10 list of similar games that doesn't feature D2 at all. Oh, and dig up some old games that feel similar so we don't look like total morons."

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's always amusing to see lists of "all time bests" made by people who are young enough to only have played games made the last 10 years.

bloodlover

Arcane
GOG just released The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Will any Codexer play it and give an opinion if it's worth?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's always amusing to see lists of "all time bests" made by people who are young enough to only have played games made the last 10 years.
Some people play games older than themselves, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom