Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
GOG.com has a pretty nice weekend sale. 20 CRPGs for 60% off:

http://af.gog.com/promo/indie_rpg_mix_weekend_promo_110714?as=1649904300

db4d81a8d7fe50ee1dea33a70cd103308b131c1a.jpg

$5.99
Shadowrun Returns

$5.99
DLC: Shadowrun: Dragonfall

King of Dragon Pass

$2.39

Avernum: The Complete Saga

$4.79

$5.99
Geneforge 1-5

$3.99
Avadon: The Black Fortress

$3.99
Avadon 2: The Corruption

$5.99
Legend of Grimrock

$3.99
Unepic

$2.39
Eschalon: Book I

$3.99
Eschalon: Book II

$5.99
Eschalon: Book III

$5.99
Driftmoon

$5.99
Inquisitor

$3.99
Evoland

$5.19
Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold Edition

$0.79
DLC: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold Edition - The Pilgrim

$2.79
Sword of the Stars: The Pit

$1.99
DLC: Sword of the Stars: The Pit - MindGames

$1.19
DLC: Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold Edition Upgrade

$2.39
Lords of Midnight, The

$2.39
Doomdark's Revenge

$3.99
Anodyne

I have a bunch of these already, but I am tempted to get Unepic, The Lord's of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge.

For recommendations, I would say avoid Avadon. Eschalon, Driftmoon and Sword of the Stars: The Pit were alright. Avernum and Shadowrun Returns are a recommend, and the Geneforge series and King of Dragon Pass are a highly recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:

hakuroshi

Augur

sbb

Learned
Anyone know anything about Lord Of Midnight? I think I'm interested but I'm not sure...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Anyone know anything about Lord Of Midnight? I think I'm interested but I'm not sure...
I'm quoting octavius, since he's the only one I'm aware off the top of my head of having played LoM:
On a related note, Lords of Midnight (1984) and Doomdark's Revenge (1985) are actually for sale on GOG.com. They must be the oldest games they currently have for sale (they've both been updated though).

And they now come with an automap, making them more conventient to play.
LoM is actually a surprisingly good strategy (no tactics, though) game, while DD is more chaotic. For LoM there is an older, but yet more modern remake. Google "The Midnight Engine".

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
When was the last time GoG released a really good old game? Nowadays I barely even bother checking their new releases because I know I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. :(

Repressed Homosexual
Yes it's obvious that the low hanging fruit is all gone as far as unlicensed classic PC game catalogs go.

It's like why get hyped up for a GOG release when most of them are indie of which 99% are generic, gimmicky, passable, and will be forgotten within 2 years, and when you can wait a bit more and buy them all for much cheaper in a humble bundle?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
When was the last time GoG released a really good old game? Nowadays I barely even bother checking their new releases because I know I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. :(

We release at least one older game a week. We would release more but the older ones take more time as far as finding out who holds the rights to the IP (the older the game the harder it is), securing the distribution rights, testing, fixing, testing again, getting the graphic assets done (the older it is, the more work needs to be done), and then finally releasing an older game.

Some games we will never be able to release unless a miracle happens i.e. a Windows version of DOSBox that easily emulates 16-bit games.

We haven't forgotten our roots and we realize that there is a large crowd of folks that want to see good OLD games and we do the best we can to get you that older classic ready to go and at a decent price.

:Flash:

Arcane

We release at least one older game a week. We would release more but the older ones take more time as far as finding out who holds the rights to the IP (the older the game the harder it is), securing the distribution rights, testing, fixing, testing again, getting the graphic assets done (the older it is, the more work needs to be done), and then finally releasing an older game.

Some games we will never be able to release unless a miracle happens i.e. a Windows version of DOSBox that easily emulates 16-bit games.

We haven't forgotten our roots and we realize that there is a large crowd of folks that want to see good OLD games and we do the best we can to get you that older classic ready to go and at a decent price.

I still think you should find out who holds the Rocket Jockey license, as its creator has made a full Direct3D port, but can't release it, because he doesn't have the rights.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes it's obvious that the low hanging fruit is all gone as far as unlicensed classic PC game catalogs go.

It's like why get hyped up for a GOG release when most of them are indie of which 99% are generic, gimmicky, passable, and will be forgotten within 2 years, and when you can wait a bit more and buy them all for much cheaper in a humble bundle?
It had to happen sometime. An enormous amount of classics are already on GOG, and which are not are probably under the claws of an IP holder. It is not GOG's fault. What should they do? At least they release something from time to time, even if it is just an indie game. And they release decent indies. Who cares if they will be forgotten in 2 years? They provide some fun.

Boleskine

Arcane
At this point GOG has probably made their case many times for games whose rights are known (e.g. LucasArts), and there isn't anything they can do other than beg. What bothers me is that there are still tons of Sierra games to be released, but Activision hasn't put an old game on GOG for almost two years. What's the hold up?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/21/5913763/gog-com-back-catalog-new-releases

Excerpt (thanks GameBanshee):

Guillaume Rambourg’s office in Warsaw is almost entirely empty. That’s because Rambourg hopes to be leaving soon to become GoG.com’s Vice President of North America, a title specifically created for him to fill in the soon-to-be built U.S. office in Los Angeles.

"America is the number one territory for GoG.com," he says. "We have to be closer to them, to give them faster access to news and information."

They also need to be closer to their dig sites.

"When it comes to classic games, we are still chasing a handful of publishers. Funnily enough, all of them are based in the LA area."

But GoG.com is running out of older titles. A few, like Maniac Mansion, Rambourg calls his "holy grail." But the main reason Rambourg is coming to America is to go head-to-head against the biggest online games distributor in the world, Steam.

"One of my key missions will be to evangelize GoG.com as the number of alternative source of revenue after Steam," he says. "Our goal will be to develop that [market]."

Over the last few years GoG.com has augmented their regular lineup with new games. But it’s more than just highlighting the part of their catalog that features titles made after 2005. GoG.com is now in the business of day-one releases. And soon they’ll offer their customers even more.

"It’s called GoG Galaxy," Rambourg says. "It’s a set of online features that will make the GoG.com experience better for gamers."

GoG Galaxy will allow players to receive automatic game updates, news on events and sales promotions, and multiplayer features. In short, GoG Galaxy will eventually put GoG.com on an even playing field with Valve’s Steam client.

But Rambourg is quick to point out what makes their solution different — digital rights management or DRM.

"We wanted to have online features inside the online games, but we believe that those features should be totally optional. If the player doesn’t want to get online to upload his achievements to his GoG account, or simply he just doesn’t want to play online, he will not be requested — ever — to get online to play the single player mode. The core of the game will remain 100 percent DRM free at all times.

Niektory

one of some
Patron

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm glad they're doing this, but 50 titles seems low to be honest.

How hard is it to just use the linux version of Dosbox and Scummvm?
"Building a DOSBox game for Linux isn't difficult, but we are restrained by the publishing rights granted us by the right holders, so we have to get an all clear on legal matters before we can start rolling"
redding is teh hard

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/21/5913763/gog-com-back-catalog-new-releases

Excerpt (thanks GameBanshee):

Guillaume Rambourg’s office in Warsaw is almost entirely empty. That’s because Rambourg hopes to be leaving soon to become GoG.com’s Vice President of North America, a title specifically created for him to fill in the soon-to-be built U.S. office in Los Angeles.

"America is the number one territory for GoG.com," he says. "We have to be closer to them, to give them faster access to news and information."

They also need to be closer to their dig sites.

"When it comes to classic games, we are still chasing a handful of publishers. Funnily enough, all of them are based in the LA area."

But GoG.com is running out of older titles. A few, like Maniac Mansion, Rambourg calls his "holy grail." But the main reason Rambourg is coming to America is to go head-to-head against the biggest online games distributor in the world, Steam.

"One of my key missions will be to evangelize GoG.com as the number of alternative source of revenue after Steam," he says. "Our goal will be to develop that [market]."

Over the last few years GoG.com has augmented their regular lineup with new games. But it’s more than just highlighting the part of their catalog that features titles made after 2005. GoG.com is now in the business of day-one releases. And soon they’ll offer their customers even more.

"It’s called GoG Galaxy," Rambourg says. "It’s a set of online features that will make the GoG.com experience better for gamers."

GoG Galaxy will allow players to receive automatic game updates, news on events and sales promotions, and multiplayer features. In short, GoG Galaxy will eventually put GoG.com on an even playing field with Valve’s Steam client.

But Rambourg is quick to point out what makes their solution different — digital rights management or DRM.

"We wanted to have online features inside the online games, but we believe that those features should be totally optional. If the player doesn’t want to get online to upload his achievements to his GoG account, or simply he just doesn’t want to play online, he will not be requested — ever — to get online to play the single player mode. The core of the game will remain 100 percent DRM free at all times.

I've never played a multiplayer game before.

Am I missing out on anything?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've never played a multiplayer game before.

This is a first for me. I've never been acquainted with any longtime, non-casual gamers who've never played a multiplayer game before, at least not that they've told me.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a game.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
This is a first for me. I've never been acquainted with any longtime, non-casual gamers who've never played a multiplayer game before, at least not that they've told me.

There's probably a fair few of us here.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a game.

The game I want to play with others exists only in my imagination as far as I'm aware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom