Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Is HoMM5 worth $8?
I haven't played the Tribes of the East and Hammers of Fate expansions, just HoMM5, but I liked it as it was very much in the style of HoMM3, with some improvements like HoMM4's caravans and sub-skill system. Just don't expect too much from the campaign story-wise.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
HOF and TOTE are MUCH better than classic HOMM5. Campaign story is still meh but the campaign missions themselves are much much more interesting. The rune system in HOF was pretty fun. Don't remember much about the orcs as a playable town in TOTE. But $8 is peanuts for the amount of fun you can get out of the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
HoMM V is definitely worth $8. Although it's mostly inferior to HoMM 3, with cliche story and cringeworthy voice acting, the new and improved skill system was a huge improvement IMO.

Anvil of Dawn is worth about 100$.

Really? Except for the audiovisuals, it is the most primitive and dumbed down of all real time blobbers, despite being one of the last ones to be released before Legend of Grimrock. Still, I found it to be just fun enough to be worth the time spent on it. The only reason it's remembered fondly is probably because it was released in the middle of the CRPG drought of 1994-1996.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Silent Storm Gold includes Sentinels in case you did not know; waiting for Hammer and Sickle as well.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
XJ6NFBi.jpg

http://af.gog.com/game/f117a_nighthawk_stealth_fighter_20?as=1649904300

Just released this bad boy today :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
WoW. One of the first games I've play on my PC. It was asking plane models as copy protection so I learned most of them after lots of guesses :)
Going to buy just for the sake of old times.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd never heard of that Gold Rush city management sim. Which reminds me, anybody remember Sierra's "Gold Rush" adventure game? It was pretty cool with its three branching paths through the game. Ahead of its time.

I wonder why Activision doesn't release more of those.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Do the original developers get any money from GOG purchases or just the publishers? If the developers don't get anything then i don't understand why anybody would choose GOG (or steam) over TPB.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do the original developers get any money from GOG purchases or just the publishers? If the developers don't get anything then i don't understand why anybody would choose GOG (or steam) over TPB.

Does TPB give you an awesome looking shelf you can fill up with games?

dZ99RKu.jpg

(I'm not entirely joking!)

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't see Fallout.

Congratulations. What other classic CRPGs can you not see? Please dazzle us with your powers of observation which aren't good enough to realize that the list is ordered alphabetically.

Divinity: Original Sin
When I saw f117 cover, I actually thought it was F-19, from microprose, the first sim I played on my at 80286. F117 was like the sequel...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
When I saw f117 cover, I actually thought it was F-19, from microprose, the first sim I played on my at 80286. F117 was like the sequel...
F-19 was my first flight sim, too. The genre never really hooked me, though. I had a difficult enough time orienting myself, never mind accomplishing objectives.

On a related note, does anyone remember a combat flight sim from the mid to late 90's where you could choose between multiple aircraft on a screen where you had a top-down perspective of an aircraft carrier with different planes parked on it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'd never heard of that Gold Rush city management sim. Which reminds me, anybody remember Sierra's "Gold Rush" adventure game? It was pretty cool with its three branching paths through the game. Ahead of its time.

I wonder why Activision doesn't release more of those.

Hmmm, apparently they don't have the rights!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Rush!

The rights to the game are currently owned and published by The Software Farm by its original developers the MacNeills.

http://www.softwarefarm.com/gr_home.htm
http://www.softwarefarm.com/gr_ordering.htm

The reference retail prices of California Gold Rush are $39.95 for the Collector's Edition and $19.95 for the Economy Pack.

:avatard:

JudasIscariot, you should talk to those guys and get them to put their game on GOG for a reasonable price: http://www.softwarefarm.com/service.htm

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, I saw about that remake. I would hope that they get in touch with GOG or nobody's going to even hear about it. I only remembered this game existed entirely by accident.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The only genre I will never buy on GOG are flight sims. These games aged horribly, and since this genre hasn't been tainted by the decline (they are better than ever today), I see no point in buying them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I view GOG as more of a convenience seller. They sell simple exe files I can quickly download, back up, install and archive. Technically some assholes who figured out the System Shock 2 rights issues by talking to lawyers all day might not have really earned my $9.99, but having System Shock 2 that quick and easy to install and access is worth the money to me.

TPB is catching on though, and I am seeing a lot more "archived" releases on there. I downloaded a great NOLF trilogy release that was set up exactly like a GOG version would be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom