Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG.com

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    A thread for posting any gog related news, new game additions and discussion of the site.
    Have fun.

^ Top  
  2. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Parrots:
    Here's the discount deal for February. I wish they would write this stuff more seriously. GOG's people sense of humor sucks.

^ Top  
  3. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Parrots:
    Where's the entertainment? I'm not having fun, Chuck.

^ Top  
  4. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Parrots:
    I said have fun. But it doesn't mean that you should look for it here.

^ Top  
  5. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Parrots:
    Alright, I'm leaving to have fun.

^ Top  
  6. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Parrots:
    Good decision. Don't ever look for fun in the threads I start. They're serious business.

NEW ADDITION:
    CONFLICT: DESERT STORM

It looks like GOG is lowering its standards. After the addition of Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enchanted Edition, now it's time for another below average game.

^ Top  
  7. Bruticis Guest

Bruticis
    LOL, r00fies, HAHA LMAO you fagz buy old games....Now that we have that out of the way, no need for Skyway to chime in. Let's discuss games you'd like to see on GOG as well. I want the old SSI gold box games for some reason. I have them in 2 or 3 different versions of collections and crap but I want them on GOG. Now, damn it.

^ Top  
  8. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Parrots:
    They added Thief?

:incline:

^ Top  
  9. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Parrots:
    I want Soldiers at War.

Loved that game, too bad the Mplayer support was awful par for the course at the time.

^ Top  
  10. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    I just want Silver up there. Used to have that fucker, but lost the 2nd CD. Goddamn GOG where is my Silver?

^ Top  
  11. Falkner Thread Decliner Patron

Falkner
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    Good luck getting that to run on a post-98 Windows system.

^ Top  
  12. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    On Underground Gamer?
    Who fucking cares about GoG anyway. It should be funny to watch GoG-tards reactions when GoG keeps bringing up more and more of the newshit games from dear developers. Comments for 'Desert Storm' are great so far.

There was Dreamcast version as well, where it was possible to use voices AND subtitles at the same time - not possible in PC version.

GoG should change the name to SGObmSNG: Some Good Old but mostly Shitty New Games.

:smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    I remember that game. Had the demo and played the hell out of it, must have repeated it again and again about 20 times. I was about 9 years old and couldn't afford the full thing. And this was in the days before I had internet.

Would love to play it again. The full game, this time.

^ Top  
  14. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Parrots:
    NEW ADDITIONS:
    Ok some good news. Trilobyte games is joining and result is the addition of a great adventure game The 7th quest and a fair one 11th hour. They will become available soon.

^ Top  
  15. Palikka Arcane

Palikka
    Parrots:
    Myth II would be nice.

^ Top  
  16. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    Fixed for increased probability.

^ Top  
  17. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Why the GOG hatred spekkio?

^ Top  
  18. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    They should start a website called BOG... amirite?

^ Top  
  19. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    I want the Myth games, but they're probably in legal hell like say the SSI D&D games.

^ Top  
  20. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Parrots:
    It's normal codexian reaction to newshit. In the past even Torment was considered the best cRPG eva by the Hivemind.
    Only recently pople realised that it's shitty jRPG at best.

:rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  21. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
    Parrots:
    i love gog

i mean who doesnt love giving monies to the copyright holders of games made by developers that no longer exist

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Parrots:
    This. Every time you guys pay GoG for games that should be in the public domain, you legitimate their business model.

I used GoG _once_ after spending years trying to find a working version of Betrayal at Krondor. GoG created an easy installer that worked on a modern PC, a service I was willing to pay for because noone in the 'scene' could be bothered to fix it.

Home of the Underdogs was around well before GoG, and it works just fine. They've got game descriptions, screenshots, user comments, manuals, and the .exe downloadable. All you need is a rudimentary understanding of D-Fend and Dosbox.

Every time you make a purchase at GoG you are undermining abandonware, and the likelyhood that old games stay free diminishes.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    More like GFWIIG, amirite?

Anyway, the most valuable service that all of these services that sell back catalogues (yes, faggotfox, that is spelled correctly...I'm pretty certain catalog is only used to refer to things related to hard sciences) of games is whether or not they work out the kinks that come with modern operating systems. Tried to fuck around with Champions of Krynn a while ago, and while it runs, there's some weird error where it won't save things, even when I mess around with the directories where the game runs from/is located. I'd pay a few bucks for effortless playing of these games, like the Steam X-COM games. Messing with DOSBOX for an hour isn't exactly appealing....especially when I'll be rolling stats for another hour before starting.

^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Parrots:
    But it's a good source for games that are neither abanonware nor available as a legitimate DRM free download or as physical copy elsewhere. Most of the games made in the Golden Age of PC Gaming (around year 2000) fall into that category.
    That the likes of EA and Ubisoft profit from it is unfortunate, though.

^ Top  
  25. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    It's your decision.
    Do you want to spend five to ten minutes to find the game online and set it up to run on some modern OS or do you want to save a little time and get it from GOG? I'll get it from GOG if those are my two choices; it's hard enough to get certain games to run under certain systems that I just don't want to bother.

That said I still prefer to get the boxed version in some thrift store whenever possible- (and promptly lose it next time I move apartments)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)