Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

yellowcake

Arcane
win95 version is a hack job. It doesn't have imuse, is missing some of the cutscenes (the mid-campaign ones) and has engine noise that can't be turned off and which obscures other critical warning sounds like missile locking etc. On top of that voice briefings are of lower quality than in the Collectors' version (probably to squeeze space for cdaudio tracks). It's unplayable basically.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
win95 version is a hack job. It doesn't have imuse, is missing some of the cutscenes (the mid-campaign ones) and has engine noise that can't be turned off and which obscures other critical warning sounds like missile locking etc. On top of that voice briefings are of lower quality than in the Collectors' version (probably to squeeze space for cdaudio tracks). It's unplayable basically.
Are you sure? Because these are very serious problems. Especially the missing cutscenes.

yellowcake

Arcane
Are you sure? Because these are very serious problems. Especially the missing cutscenes.

Am fairly sure about the cutscenes. I own a boxed copy and never went far with it because of it being an abomination and shameless money grab. Built an actual dos box and am still happily playing collectors' to this day.

edit: in-mission voice acting is of lower quality too AFAIR. And cutscenes have MIDI music recorded that is played on some shitty OPL3 instead of proper wavetable. I remember being appalled realizing all the hacking done to the game.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
The windows one is on a different engine as well, so a lot of things feel 'off' too. Projectiles speed, ship movement and hitboxes are all different.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I can confirm everything yellowcake is saying. Win95 version definitely messes up many little things. I wouldn't say it's unplayable, but it's not worth sacrificing some things just for slightly better graphics and yaw.

About the cutscenes, among the missing ones are the ones you get in the older versions where after you select your loadout you see your ship launch.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Regarding the Star Wars games, is my old hero Porkins in any of them?
Also for the games where you fly space ships, what it the recommended input device? Joystic, flight stick, or will a mouse do?

Divinity: Original Sin
back then, I played x-wing and tie fighter with a mouse... Not the optical one, the one with that ball bellow it. I was quite used to it and in fact I used the left hand because my computer table had no space on the right side.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Also for the games where you fly space ships, what it the recommended input device? Joystic, flight stick, or will a mouse do?
A joystick. Though a mouse can do just fine.

In fact the best player I've ever seen uses a mouse.

Divinity: Original Sin
win95 version is a hack job. It doesn't have imuse, is missing some of the cutscenes (the mid-campaign ones)
Hah! So I wasn't wrong after all! Good to know I'm not senile yet.

But main story cutscenes are present... you don't miss plot points. I didn't know about the capturing, rescuing, dying, launching, and landing scenes being cut, though they were just the same and repetitive everytime, though a butchered version is aways a butchered version.

One difference between the floopy x-wing version and it's CD versions (both dos and win), is that the original floopy disk had tarkin scenes voiced by peter cushing himself (pasted from the movies, of course), and the cd versions had his voice redubbed by Nick Jamison.

:Flash:

Arcane
Regarding the Star Wars games, is my old hero Porkins in any of them?
The Win95 version will refuse to start, if you don't have a Joystick connected.
But they are so bad that you should be thankful for that.
The Star Destroyers in that version don't even fire the lasers.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Hopefully they will add the Collector's Edition later, as they have done for some other games.

In other news, I realised that while I played hours and hours of X-Wing, finishing all the missions—I even broke a joystick at some point!—I never finished TIE Fighter. Damn!

panzertoter

Arcane
There is one little thing that makes X-Wing 95 better then it's DOS older brother - an ability to set the throttle to current speed of your target.

yellowcake

Arcane
There is one little thing that makes X-Wing 95 better then it's DOS older brother - an ability to set the throttle to current speed of your target.

Yeah, and there's also an option to lower the volume/disable engine sound, and option that is mysteriously absent in its tie fighter sibling. Makes you think about how many fucks they gave about quality of the release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom