Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While "Gaben Worshipers" are currently the most obnoxious crowd, GOG Fanboys are also extremely scary.

Go on the forums right know and you'll find people begging to be SOLD OFFICIALLY RELEASED FREEWARE GAMES.
Not "Abandonware", but games that have be released as freeware by the Developers/Publishers themselves.

Reading the threads arguing that people "should not play Ur-Quan Masters, but instead pay Atari/GOG for SC2."

:badnews:
>Still not realising that people pay for them so they have all their favourites in one library, with all of their other old games. You pay for convenience.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You mean you pay for being a retard because gog installers are the opposite of convenience. I mean i use them, if the alternative is Steam walled garden, but i rip the games i'm have as soon as possible to put in DBGL or something.

As long as roland/microsoft don't 'freeware' mt-32 rom and windows 3.1/95 copyright (ie: never) gog will still be pretty boring to setup ideally for most games.

Also as long as dosbox doesn't include a loooong list of patches they never will like: long filename support, mt32emu (because roland are assholes), voodoo emulation, windows 95 seeing mounted drives.

Dosbox really deserves a kick in the pants. By refusing to support some features - there are external dev made patches for everything in that list - because 'they're not DOS' they really limit its usability and usefulness. That's the whole reason there are multiple dosbox forks that everyone else uses.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to see gog using a forked dosbox version in their dos games, thereby fucking portability in the ass as usual (not that dosbox doesn't do this by itself by not supporting multiplatform relative mount paths for no reason - mount didn't exist in dos)

Actually Gog would be crap for convenience just for that defect. I actually have to edit conf files to play DOS games in linux dosbox from gog releases just because dosbox devs are lazy and gog is too tightfisted to hire them to add the feature to dosbox. (edit: nvm, gog places its conf files in the same dir as the executable so this doesn't happen... i move them out of the dir for easy access. They often still don't mount because of case problems though)
Money talks you know? And Gog is mute.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You mean you pay for being a retard because gog installers are the opposite of convenience.
Basic GOG installer (not galaxy) works like a charm a long time ago. There is nothing inconvenient about it.

And as I said, convevience as in having all your games in one library, which you can access anytime, even after you reset your system.

As for Dosbox, I don't doubt you can tweak them to work much better, but for the average user, they work right out of the box.
I actually have to edit conf files to play DOS games in linux
Linux? :hahyou:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fuck you retard. 25 years after these games came out, after they've been multiple times transfered from company to company, after the original developers are retired or dead, and here we are, without being able to use them in its best configuration due to the totem of imaginary property (roland threatening to prosecute Dosbox for including the mt32emu patch without roms back in 2008 killed any chance of the patch being included) and guys like you lining up to buy them.

In a dark possible future we'll see gog 'selling' bios for Roland so you can redownload a mt32emu configured dosbox neither them nor Roland have anything to do with.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
>Still not realising that people pay for them so they have all their favourites in one library, with all of their other old games. You pay for convenience.

I prefer having my games safely stored on my hard drive(s).

I can back up my entire games library on a flash stick and put it in my pocket...
No need for any logins or redownloading, just install and play.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Temple of Elemental Evil is selling worse on GOG than even Dragonshard and Demon Stone. :decline:

At least the Gold Box games are in the number one spot for now.

Khorne

Arbiter
--The new installers will be distro-agnostic. That means that you'll be able to run and try them out on virtually any Linux distribution without any tweaks.

This is great news, thanks gog.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
While "Gaben Worshipers" are currently the most obnoxious crowd, GOG Fanboys are also extremely scary.

Go on the forums right know and you'll find people begging to be SOLD OFFICIALLY RELEASED FREEWARE GAMES.
Not "Abandonware", but games that have be released as freeware by the Developers/Publishers themselves.

Reading the threads arguing that people "should not play Ur-Quan Masters, but instead pay Atari/GOG for SC2."

:badnews:

Actually, no. They just want them to have the same treatment like the other free games we have on our site. There's one guy campaigning for us to add Castila Maldita as a free game, for example.

As for the Ur-Quan Masters, there's plenty of people who will link to the free version and such.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Fuck you retard. 25 years after these games came out, after they've been multiple times transfered from company to company, after the original developers are retired or dead, and here we are, without being able to use them in its best configuration due to the totem of imaginary property (roland threatening to prosecute Dosbox for including the mt32emu patch without roms back in 2008 killed any chance of the patch being included) and guys like you lining up to buy them.

In a dark possible future we'll see gog 'selling' bios for Roland so you can redownload a mt32emu configured dosbox neither them nor Roland have anything to do with.
:butthurt:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I will probably be ridiculed (again), but could someone explain me what was so great about these games? I dropped into PC gaming much later and never played these games. So why are these the holy grails of oldschool RPGs?

Best combat system and encounter design of the DOS era, and some of the best of all time.
Not games for storyfags, even though the stories were better than everage.
And they still are great fun to play today.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This is great news, thanks gog.
Maybe using '/' everywhere as path seperator to relative mount paths will work since i think windows supports it as a path separator on at least some filesystems.

Also gog cue files are mostly broken if mounted (in a non mounted drive) in linux or macos because unlike windows, the filesystem is case sensitive and dosbox doesn't care (only on a emulated mounted drive will it use case insensitivity, not from reading cues and trying to find the files in a local filesystem). They can avoid this one by checking out all cd games for case problems in cues though.

Gog really should hire dosbox devs to fix their shit though.

Last edited:

Blackstaff

Arbiter
The chances of Bethesda bringing something new on GOG seems to have gone up a few. They have now three new entries in the devs/publishers list : bethesda games softworks, bethesda softworks and id software. Plus, the name of the Fallout games have changed in our library, now called Fallout Classic, that could mean a rerelease is in order...

http://af.gog.com/forum/fallout_ser...ic_fallout_games_imminent/post1?as=1649904300

Edit : More importantly for the codex, some new things on the dragonlance series :

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/20/gog-on-dragonlance-gold-box-games-theyre-coming

Today’s release of 13 games on GOG focused just on the Forgotten Realms. Among the missing games were the Dragonlance-based Krynn series: Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, and Dark Queen of Krynn. GOG’s Tomasz Nalewajk told GamesBeat this morning that they haven’t forgotten about these games.

“We won’t beat around the bush: they’re coming. Hopefully, we’ll be able to make that announcement as well in the not-too-distant future,” he said.

Just hope that they didn't forget buck rogers too. With Ravenloft, that would be quite :incline:

Edit 2 : Next week supposedly won't be no slouch either :smug:

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/release_trine_3_the_artifacts_of_power_4276c/post33?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabbid

Savant
Prepare for a bombardment of Bethesda's Enhanced Editions. The interwebs are full of Fallout nostalgia (and Fallout hype) right now.

Edit: Apparently, it will be something called Fallout Anthology.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bethesda hasn't enhanced anything, it's just the same old games with a Bethesda launcher. "Brian Fargo Presents" and all.

mondblut

Arcane
They could do something useful for a change and reverse engineer the AOLNWN beta to reenable saving and the party. But that would take more effort than signing the lease papers with whatever "Goldstein, Mandelbaum & Sons, LLC" that bought a given IP in a garage sale after the niece of a son of a cousin thrice removed of a developers' janitor has expired thereby forfeiting the rights, so not gonna happen.

Keldryn

Arcane
The Forgotten Realms was actually a pretty cool setting when it was the original grey boxed set plus FR1 through FR6. Then it quickly went to shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom