Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Bruticis

D1P
oneXHJQ.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will probably be ridiculed (again), but could someone explain me what was so great about these games? I dropped into PC gaming much later and never played these games. So why are these the holy grails of oldschool RPGs?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I will probably be ridiculed (again), but could someone explain me what was so great about these games? I dropped into PC gaming much later and never played these games. So why are these the holy grails of oldschool RPGs?

They are the holy grail because of two important things: First the writing and the plot was awesome combined with first person exploration and turn based party combat. Second it was the first translation of the AD&D 2E rules to a computer game.

Keldryn

Arcane
They are the holy grail because of two important things: First the writing and the plot was awesome combined with first person exploration and turn based party combat. Second it was the first translation of the AD&D 2E rules to a computer game.

Slight correction... The Gold Box games were the first translation of the original AD&D rules to a computer game -- they were also accompanied by two Dungeon Master Assistant programs for tabletop DMs. Pool of Radiance came out less than a year before the 2e PHB hit the streets, and all of the other games using that engine came out when 2e was the current ruleset.

Eye of the Beholder was the first AD&D 2e computer game.

Just because I can't resist an opportunity to be pedantic.

Baron

Arcane
They had great D&D party combat. You also got to select your character's icons and colours, add beards to your dwarves and arm them with bardiches. Previously, with Wizardry and Bard's Tale your party were attacking in lines of dialogue. Pool of Radiance gave you the whole battlefield and early tactical combat, dropping Stinking Cloud and Fireball spells onto as many kobolds as you could take out, having your thief actually attack from the rear for a backstab. Monsters would turn your guys to stone and they'd stand there grey on the battlefield. It was kind of glorious... for its day. Only Ultima IV stacked up at the time with its extraordinary morality system and exploration.

Fantastic games... for 12 year old D&D players. Probably a total confusing bore to play now. Will undoubtedly buy them because they're all still sitting on my shelf in their pure shimmering boxes, like bricks of gold bulllion that Larry Elmore has drawn pictures on. Still, worth paying Gog because I no longer have a way to play Apple IIc and 3.5" DOS discs, and because they should appear in my inventory every time I log in because :obviously:

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, Blood and Magic was in the original "Forgotten Realms: The Archives" released by Interplay in 1999. Odd that it's not included. What they've released now is identical to the contents of 1997's "Forgotten Realms Archives" but divided into three parts.

That's because the 1997 Forgotten Realms Archives release IS the original release, you got it the other way around.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
What's even more troubling is that there are 18 notifications in the library tab. How many potato games does Bruticis own? Place your bets.

My .txt says that he actually has a couple of hundred games at GoG - but I just couldn't let that opportunity slip.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's because the 1997 Forgotten Realms Archives release IS the original release, you got it the other way around.

That's not what I meant by "original". Original as in, this GOG release is named directly after it and seems to mirror it exactly, except for Blood & Magic (and the Baldur's Gate 1 demo)

Bruticis

How do you like the DROD games? I am a puzzle pleb and I can barely get through the 4th one AKA the "easy" one :)
Oh I get stuck a lot and get pissed off and quit playing for a few weeks. Pretty fun games for quick time killers.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
How do you like the DROD games? I am a puzzle pleb and I can barely get through the 4th one AKA the "easy" one :)

I own the DROD games (outside of GOG).

The first two games are brutally hard, but DROD 3 and 4 are easier. The problem with DROD 4 is that it's just boring, by that point the formula of the game has become stale and there's too many game elements to keep tabs on. That's why I haven't bought DROD 5 yet - I fear that it's just not worth the effort.

Grim Monk

Arcane
While "Gaben Worshipers" are currently the most obnoxious crowd, GOG Fanboys are also extremely scary.

Go on the forums right know and you'll find people begging to be SOLD OFFICIALLY RELEASED FREEWARE GAMES.
Not "Abandonware", but games that have be released as freeware by the Developers/Publishers themselves.

Reading the threads arguing that people "should not play Ur-Quan Masters, but instead pay Atari/GOG for SC2."

:badnews:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom