Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Gods Will Be Watching - C&C + shades of gray = despair

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Awor Szurkrarz, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Crooked Bee pro-vacation Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, I remember their indiegogo (?) campaign. Could be interesting.

^ Top  
  3. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Holy shit, the trailer is brutal

^ Top  
  4. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Probably right now someone somewhere is doing something like that in the name of a higher cause.

^ Top  
  5. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    this product has potential, but it's a shame it sucks as a game.
    all i could endure was the first chapter, then the game crashed anyway.
    it plays like a glorified, "turn based" tapper, where all you have to do is balance clicks around.
    there's supposed to be a way to understand when and where to do what by looking around, problem is it's fucking impossible to understand what the hell is going on on a 80x60 screen.
    had it been done with l.a. noire's engine i'd have claimed this game as the new messiah. the way it is, it's just an excellent atmosphere tacked on a game so "artsy" that only people who praise infinite biocock could love.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    :necro:

This is 50% off on steam right now, does it really suck as much as MadMax said? Based on the amount of butthurt "itz hard" reviews.. I'm tempted to pick it up.

^ Top  
  7. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Parrots:
    Not even at 100% off.

^ Top  
  8. bledcarrot Educated

bledcarrot
    Parrots:
    I got it half price, played for the last few hours. I'm enjoying it. Some of the mechanics are flawed but it's an interesting design and pretty well executed. If you don't like rng maybe steer clear.

^ Top  
  9. Grimwulf Arcane Vatnik

Grimwulf
    Parrots:
    First mission expressions:"Why the FUCK can't I just tie the prisoners and be fuckin done with it?"
    Second mission expressions:"Why all the high-tech mumbo-jumbo and not a single fuckin' camera in the cell? Coz you know. Every night we talk about how we ended up like this, who we work for and stuff. Oh, and also our FUCKING BOSS comes to us every single night, but that's ok. Torture the shit out of us must be more fun than installing a camera".

And all the crashes too. Nah, I'll drop it for naw.

^ Top  
  10. bledcarrot Educated

bledcarrot
    Parrots:
    Yeah there's a lot that doesn't make sense plot wise, including the fact that characters who die in one mission are inexplicably alive in the next. I think there's a pretty interesting idea underneath it though, just hasn't been executed very well. But for five bucks I don't expect the world.

^ Top  
  11. Crooked Bee pro-vacation Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Free expansion released + game is 75% off in a Steam sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274290/

^ Top  
  12. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Got around to trying it. Verdict: It's artsy in an unfun way.

The gameplay is frustratingly tedious, half minimaxing various stats (quite literally, in one section you have to do math to maximize the minimum number, you could be alt tabbing to a spreadsheet), half trial and error puzzling, compounded by a checkpoint design with long, long intervals between checkpoints, and lengthy introductory sequences of text to skip through each time. The puzzles themselves are essentially trial and error as you discover the mechanics in each scenario, rather than intuiting how things work. The most charitable interpretation is that the designers were making the player's experience consistent with the narrative (ludonarrative consonance!), which I would have more sympathy for if the narrative were actually good.

The narrative. Sure, it's "mature" and "gritty" and "dark". But also unsatisfying, which is par for the course in
    Show Spoiler
    stable time loop
    stories.
    Show Spoiler
    Who is the protagonist, where did he come from, what motivates him...? All unanswered and essentially unanswerable within the plot.
    The worldbuilding, meh. It's about an interstellar, FTL capable civilization, with advanced automation and AI... that runs on slave labor. It's hard to read this as anything other than the writers taking contemporary issues and putting them in space, rather than thinking carefully about an internally consistent setting. But I'll give it to the writers for having written interesting antagonists.

If you play it, play on "narrative mode" that removes the tedium.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    MadMaxHellfire and oasis789's observations mirror mine.

Played it, crapped out in the first scene after 15 failures. This game looks like it wants you to make hard, brutal choices, but it doesn't - it wants you to patiently balance a complex framework of numbers. It even keeps some of the numbers offscreen, so to play optimally you have to make several time-consuming clicks every turn calling on information that should be readily available ... yet suboptimal play is severely punished; one slip-up and the scene is failed and you have to start all over. These two design choices add up to a clear "fuck you" from the developers.

What could have been a very difficult and emotionally charged scene is swiftly drained of all gravitas through forced repetition. I sympathized with all the characters at first and was very interested in following this story, but the difficulty demands that the player not only ignore character and environment, but balance number stacks so perfectly that even a well-intentioned "ruthless" player will have to replay a scene many times to strike the right balance. This isn't a good hard challenge for smart players; it is sheer sadism.

After giving up, I decided briefly to try again at a lower difficulty, but immediately quit without even trying to clear the first scene. Playing at a low difficulty seems equally pointless, as that will likely remove those harsh decisions I'm supposed to be making. We'll see; maybe I'll give it another shot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)