Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gods Will Be Watching - C&C + shades of gray = despair

this product has potential, but it's a shame it sucks as a game.
all i could endure was the first chapter, then the game crashed anyway.
it plays like a glorified, "turn based" tapper, where all you have to do is balance clicks around.
there's supposed to be a way to understand when and where to do what by looking around, problem is it's fucking impossible to understand what the hell is going on on a 80x60 screen.
had it been done with l.a. noire's engine i'd have claimed this game as the new messiah. the way it is, it's just an excellent atmosphere tacked on a game so "artsy" that only people who praise infinite biocock could love.

agris

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

This is 50% off on steam right now, does it really suck as much as MadMax said? Based on the amount of butthurt "itz hard" reviews.. I'm tempted to pick it up.

bledcarrot

Educated
:necro:

This is 50% off on steam right now, does it really suck as much as MadMax said? Based on the amount of butthurt "itz hard" reviews.. I'm tempted to pick it up.
I got it half price, played for the last few hours. I'm enjoying it. Some of the mechanics are flawed but it's an interesting design and pretty well executed. If you don't like rng maybe steer clear.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
First mission expressions:"Why the FUCK can't I just tie the prisoners and be fuckin done with it?"
Second mission expressions:"Why all the high-tech mumbo-jumbo and not a single fuckin' camera in the cell? Coz you know. Every night we talk about how we ended up like this, who we work for and stuff. Oh, and also our FUCKING BOSS comes to us every single night, but that's ok. Torture the shit out of us must be more fun than installing a camera".

And all the crashes too. Nah, I'll drop it for naw.

bledcarrot

Educated
First mission expressions:"Why the FUCK can't I just tie the prisoners and be fuckin done with it?"
Second mission expressions:"Why all the high-tech mumbo-jumbo and not a single fuckin' camera in the cell? Coz you know. Every night we talk about how we ended up like this, who we work for and stuff. Oh, and also our FUCKING BOSS comes to us every single night, but that's ok. Torture the shit out of us must be more fun than installing a camera".

And all the crashes too. Nah, I'll drop it for naw.
Yeah there's a lot that doesn't make sense plot wise, including the fact that characters who die in one mission are inexplicably alive in the next. I think there's a pretty interesting idea underneath it though, just hasn't been executed very well. But for five bucks I don't expect the world.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Free expansion released + game is 75% off in a Steam sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274290/

“There were never plans to create a full-fledged sequel to Gods Will Be Watching, that story has been told,” studio lead Jordi de Paco said in a launch announcement. “But we wanted to further explore the plight of Sgt. Burden’s team in such a dark time and give the fans of Gods Will Be Watching a glimpse into the future of the characters they had come to know so well.”

Set 20 years after the main game, the expansion sees the old gang reunited “on a desperate quest to change the past and prevent the oppressive Constellar Federation from ever coming to power.” Something like that is bound to include a few tricky decisions and no mistake.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MadMaxHellfire and oasis789's observations mirror mine.

Played it, crapped out in the first scene after 15 failures. This game looks like it wants you to make hard, brutal choices, but it doesn't - it wants you to patiently balance a complex framework of numbers. It even keeps some of the numbers offscreen, so to play optimally you have to make several time-consuming clicks every turn calling on information that should be readily available ... yet suboptimal play is severely punished; one slip-up and the scene is failed and you have to start all over. These two design choices add up to a clear "fuck you" from the developers.

What could have been a very difficult and emotionally charged scene is swiftly drained of all gravitas through forced repetition. I sympathized with all the characters at first and was very interested in following this story, but the difficulty demands that the player not only ignore character and environment, but balance number stacks so perfectly that even a well-intentioned "ruthless" player will have to replay a scene many times to strike the right balance. This isn't a good hard challenge for smart players; it is sheer sadism.

After giving up, I decided briefly to try again at a lower difficulty, but immediately quit without even trying to clear the first scene. Playing at a low difficulty seems equally pointless, as that will likely remove those harsh decisions I'm supposed to be making. We'll see; maybe I'll give it another shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom