Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Godlike trade offs and reactivity

Fryjar

Augur
I was surprised by the lack of reactions/interactivity to my Death godlike in the game so far, and was wondering how much reactivity there is to picking a godlike in the game. Did you encounter some specific reactions that turned up because you picked one?

Also are there godlike specific weapons/armor?
How about the trade off of not being able to wear a helmet? The death Godlikes bonus seems to couple nicely with dps oriented classes, but the fact that you can't wear enchanted helmets that can have + stat enchantments after all makes this seem quite underwhelming to be honest.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have not noticed any CnC from deff godlike so far.

One or two flavor mentions though.

And yeah, mechanically, I am pretty sure giving up the item slot is not worthwhile.

Fire godlikes seem to have a few interactions in the early locations, e.g. that fire priest companion, the columns in the prologue
Not sure what the benefits are, however.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Lack of racial flavour is actually my biggest problem with the game's writing right now; the way the Kickstarter updates developed made it sound like a much, much bigger deal than it's actually turned out to be, especially in regards to Godlike. I'm hoping for a late game main quest dialogue option that at least acknowledes your unique relation to the problem at hand.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lack of racial flavour is actually my biggest problem with the game's writing right now; the way the Kickstarter updates developed made it sound like a much, much bigger deal than it's actually turned out to be, especially in regards to Godlike. I'm hoping for a late game main quest dialogue option that at least acknowledes your unique relation to the problem at hand.

I'm surprised they didn't even take the easy way out and throw in a bunch of [PLAYERRACE] checks in greeting dialogue as a minimum. I think two NPCs have refered to me as Dwarf so far.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Partly this seems to be a result of the fact cultures in Pillars of Eternity are less stratified around race, so if you belong to one race over the other it doesn't amount to much in terms of your standing in society.

That said nobody cares I'm from the Deadfire Archipelago either.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I forget what the nature godlike provides, exactly, but off of the top of my memory, only the moon godlike provides a bonus that I'd consider a worthwhile trade for the helmet, with its usefulness increasing sharply with the more melee orientated characters I have and/or the more AoE abilities being thrown my party's way.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'm finding the moon godlike ability useful, but I also haven't found any helms that actually do anything so I don't know if it's a decent trade.

I've seen at least one magical helm so far, so I'm not sure losing the slot is really worth it. But fuck balance, my biggest problem with godlikes (especially moon) is the complete lack of any good portraits. You get one male and one female portrait, neither of which look anything like the characters in game. Tried making some portraits for them myself, but I fail at art. And the moon godlike characters look shitty in the game as well - was it really necessary to give them glowing purple lights on top of the horns? Ugh, can't wait for mods.

Durante

Learned
Patron
It's not worth it mechanically. In terms of reactivity/flavor, I've mostly just seen kids comment on me having strange stuff on my head.

That said, I think it's easily worth it aesthetically.

Parabalus

Arcane
The only reactivity I noticed was when I had to don a hood to disguise myself, I got a [Godlike] tag telling me it barely fit.
The funny part is you can question your godlike companion about godlikes as if you have never seen or heard them before, that one really seems like a oversight.

Mechanically, when I saw the first enchanted helmet I thought godlikes would be severely penalised, but all helmets I found give (low) attribute bonuses, which would get up overriden from another slot anyway, so it just forces a bit of item juggling between your characters.

Fryjar

Augur
I've seen at least one magical helm so far, so I'm not sure losing the slot is really worth it. But fuck balance, my biggest problem with godlikes (especially moon) is the complete lack of any good portraits. You get one male and one female portrait, neither of which look anything like the characters in game. Tried making some portraits for them myself, but I fail at art. And the moon godlike characters look shitty in the game as well - was it really necessary to give them glowing purple lights on top of the horns? Ugh, can't wait for mods.
Yeah, more reactivity and good portraits would be nice. Hope anyone at Obsi is reading this.

For the death godlike there has been posted on reddit at least one very decent custom portrait that is based on the Mouth of Sauron, combined with a human/elf mouth and chin. It actually fits quite well to the standard godlike with two horns.
It's one of the first portraits that comes up when googling for a death godlike portrait.

That being said I feel they could have done a lot more design wise with the male models of the death godlike. Covering the eyes is quite an extreme choice and making a character still look compelling despite that takes some care in combination with more extravagant design choices. They should have embellished the horns some more and taken a lot more care with modelling the actual eye covering portion of the face. The black dust that is covering the face in combination with quite bland horns doesn't work for me on the male models. It's not horrible and the concept is very interesting but it's more disfiguring than outlandish at the moment. The female heads are quite a bit better designed in that regard.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
This one?

fanart__custom_portrait_death_godlike_by_wespenfresser-d8mt4ij.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've yet to encounter a single magical helm that comes close to being as good and useful as my Moon Godlike Paladin's racial. I'd hardly call it a trade off. You would not miss anything if you had a whole group of Godlikes. Mmm a whole party of Moon Godlikes..

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, plenty of references to culture (Aloth called me a retard for not remembering what his and my shared homeland was like), but only a handful of mentions of me being an Aumoa.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There are a few mentions here and there however playing a godlike for lore / rp or whatever is not worth it compared to no helm slot. There are some good helms that you wont be able to use.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
There are a few mentions here and there however playing a godlike for lore / rp or whatever is not worth it compared to no helm slot. There are some good helms that you wont be able to use.

Playing as a cipher godlike, I've found no interesting helmets that cannot be covered by other slots; there's one that provides +2 to intellect, another one that's +1 to resolve and +1 to intellect and the one with antlers that gives +1 to dexterity and +2 to athletics. Not really deal breakers.

hiver

Godlikes cannot wear helmets - make all helmets useless design.

So one stupid idea creates further stupid ideas and it all multiplies.

Portraits suck and look disgusting most of the time, like some deformed sick people with big cancers over their heads. Including the fucking fly man. The whole concept is done extremely badly and has no meaning except just most superficial notion of "weee im playing with a special character!!!"
Ive seen a few dialogue choices for godlikes but those are extremely rare.

What they should have been is ordinary people with some small telling signs over their faces, birth-signs looking like exotic tattoos and the like. Which then would necessitate hiding them ... and having different dialogues based on that... all kinds of different reactions for NPCs seeing the marks or not because you successfully obscured them, etc, etc.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron

Playing as a cipher godlike, I've found no interesting helmets that cannot be covered by other slots; there's one that provides +2 to intellect, another one that's +1 to resolve and +1 to intellect and the one with antlers that gives +1 to dexterity and +2 to athletics. Not really deal breakers.
True its not going to stop you from completing the game but still sadly there is hardly any rp reason or lore reason to play as one.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
True its not going to stop you from completing the game but still sadly there is hardly any rp reason or lore reason to play as one.

Like playing a half elf in 3rd edition DnD?
:P well they try to make a very big deal out of this however there are maybe 4-5? people that even notice that you are godlike, not even the other godlike in your party takes notice :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom