Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God, how I missed Oblivion

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bad bad bad. And Jeremy Soule is a hack. And I did say 'most'. Some stuff is great.

mbv123

Arbiter
Never much cared for TES soundtrack, sure it sounds nice and comfy when it's actually in-game, but outside of it, it just sounds boring and repetitive as shit.
This is the problem for 95% of soundtracks, so I can't really blame it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Never much cared for TES soundtrack, sure it sounds nice and comfy when it's actually in-game, but outside of it, it just sounds boring and repetitive as shit.

Isnt that how its supposed to be? Who listens to game soundtracks outside of playing the game?

Falksi

Arcane
Christ that atmosphere which Morrowind created was just AMAZING, music included.
Oblivion ain't bad, but - apart from the combat - it's a big step back from Morrowind Imo.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Isnt that how its supposed to be? Who listens to game soundtracks outside of playing the game?
Outcast is the only game with a soundtrack I could rip from it's context and enjoy. Otherwise, game music is for games, and still there are better options.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
This thread is not complete without this copypasta:
TAT4XdF.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron

The only game music I have ever listened to outside the game is the HoMM V Haven town theme music.

pippin

Yeah, for all the shit Oblivion gets, there's still a handful of quests which require exploration and investigation. They are very few and far between, but they are somewhat memorable. I mean, you really get fucked when you do the ring quest. And the quest with the women only turns into a "kill these people" thing when they have been found out and they attack you, not the other way around.

mbv123

Arbiter

I think Mass Effect 1, Fallout 1 and 2 and HoMM IV have perfect soundtracks that are perfectly listenable outside of the game.

Lambach

Arcane
Yeah, for all the shit Oblivion gets, there's still a handful of quests which require exploration and investigation. They are very few and far between, but they are somewhat memorable. I mean, you really get fucked when you do the ring quest. And the quest with the women only turns into a "kill these people" thing when they have been found out and they attack you, not the other way around.

The Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion were pretty good, as opposed to the trash they turned into in Skyrim.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I think Mass Effect 1, Fallout 1 and 2 and HoMM IV have perfect soundtracks that are perfectly listenable outside of the game.
I was pretty disappointed once I came across an old and obscure Japanese compilation of ambient music called Ambient, Vol. 4: Isolationism. It's basically the Fallout soundtrack. Mark Morgan never took any inspiration, he just copied the tracks almost verbatim. I've no idea how he was never sued.

Compare:
Once Again I Cast Myself Into the Flames of Atonement - Nijiumu
Fallout 1 Soundtrack - Acolytes of the New God (The Cathedral)

Basically all these years we've been listening to some quirky and really creative underground Japanese ambient artists and heaping blind praise on Mark Morgan who is a piece of shit.

Codexlurker

Savant
The soundtrack is bad in all ES games. And most American games in general. Skyrim especially was torture for me.
Morrowind had a good soundtrack with an excellent title theme ("Call of Magic" a.k.a. "Nerevar Rising"), keeping in mind that the music was kept intentionally in the background. For that matter, even Daggerfall, with the limitations of the midi format, had a few good tracks, in particular "Snow". I always loved entering the city of Daggerfall in winter while it was snowing and that track was playing.

lnsYUdA.jpg
Yea that track in the snow areas was pretty awesome. Also Arena's main/store theme rocked.

mbv123

Arbiter
I was pretty disappointed once I came across an old and obscure Japanese compilation of ambient music called Ambient, Vol. 4: Isolationism. It's basically the Fallout soundtrack. Mark Morgan never took any inspiration, he just copied the tracks almost verbatim. I've no idea how he was never sued.

Compare:

Basically all these years we've been listening to some quirky and really creative underground Japanese ambient artists and heaping blind praise on Mark Morgan who is a piece of shit.
Yeah, and he also sampled a track from Aphex Twin

But I honestly don't care since most musicians take inspirations from others. As long as the end result sounds good to me, I'm fine.

there isn't a single non-videogames-savvy person that i haven't amazed with chrono cross ost.
and their faces after "this is taken from a videogame" are even better.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Nobody because they are all bad! I listen to some film soundtracks though, that's how it should be with games. There are actually a few games that have great soundtracks I can listen to outside of the game. But they are one in a billion.

gruntar

Augur

Compare:

That doesn't make this tracks any less enjoyable for me. Mark Morgan had one job - deliver excellent soundtrack for Fallout, and he delivered big time. What he ripped off and how many children he molested to achieve that I frankly don't care.

Gerrard

Arcane

Compare:

Ambient, Vol. 4: Isolationism
Product details
  • Audio CD (September 13, 1997)
Fallout (video game)
Release: September 30, 1997

:nocountryforshitposters:

circ

Arcane
The soundtrack is bad in all ES games. And most American games in general. Skyrim especially was torture for me.
Morrowind had a good soundtrack with an excellent title theme ("Call of Magic" a.k.a. "Nerevar Rising"), keeping in mind that the music was kept intentionally in the background. For that matter, even Daggerfall, with the limitations of the midi format, had a few good tracks, in particular "Snow". I always loved entering the city of Daggerfall in winter while it was snowing and that track was playing.

lnsYUdA.jpg
Wait one goddamn minute. Daggerfall had seasons? LOL TODD STRIPPED EVERYTHING.

I confess, my experience of Daggerfall consisted of making a character, giggling at the tits, running around some init dungeon and judging it shit. This was a long time ago but I figure my experience and actions would largely be similar today.

Before you judge me too harshly Bethesdamen, and why would you, I am but a man, I played a little more of Arena. And Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom