Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God, how I missed Oblivion

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
True story. I actually loved Oblivion as a kid and still feel nostalgia for it sometimes, but I get bored pretty quick. It was my introduction to the RPG genre and it amazed me how big it was and how your character could be different(seemed like it to me at the time anyway) and it served some sort of escapist purpose for me.

When I was a kid, the cool games were TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight and Age of Empires.

Now we have people fondly reminiscing Oblivion. The decline. The decline.

How dare people like something you don't like! The audacity!

Deleted member 7219

True story. I actually loved Oblivion as a kid and still feel nostalgia for it sometimes, but I get bored pretty quick. It was my introduction to the RPG genre and it amazed me how big it was and how your character could be different(seemed like it to me at the time anyway) and it served some sort of escapist purpose for me.

When I was a kid, the cool games were TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight and Age of Empires.

Now we have people fondly reminiscing Oblivion. The decline. The decline.

How dare people like something you don't like! The audacity!

:hmmm:

Miner Arobar

Educated
So all the Oblivion nostalgia had me re-install the game, with the following basic mod setup:

Oblivion Character Overhaul
Better Cities
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
Most is Endless Jungle
All the Settlements of Cyrodiil mods
Most of Arthmoor's village mods
Some UL mods (River Ethe, Chorrol Hinterlands)
Hunting and Wildlife Expansion
Pinewood (player home for LARPing purposes)

So far, it seems to go a long way of solving some of my more serious problems with the game. Talking potatoes - gone. Temperate forest - gone. Level scaling - gone. And, finally, neogothic churches in Cyrodiil - gone.

Of course, what remains is the terrible pacing of the main quest - my character really needs to find this Martin fellow to save the world but he's been rather busy joining the Rangers Guild and curing the sick rabbits in
the Arboretum instead. Still, I wonder. Could it be? Have modders finally fixed it? ;-)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The setting is like a bad renaissance fair,
the combat feels designed and animated by drunk amateurs,
the story is like a first school writing assignment,
the art is akin to puke paintings of a renaissance fair,
the voice acting would be unacceptable even on an american tv drama,
the roleplaying is only there for those with severe autism,
the quests task you with mentally beating your head against a proverbial wall,
and the faces are hopw roewur ne.

tl;dr there is no life in the void, only death. If you like Oblivion you hate the elder scrolls. The OP should be castrated.

and yet you come back and play it, and talk about it, and play it and play it

and play it

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The setting is like a bad renaissance fair,
the combat feels designed and animated by drunk amateurs,
the story is like a first school writing assignment,
the art is akin to puke paintings of a renaissance fair,
the voice acting would be unacceptable even on an american tv drama,
the roleplaying is only there for those with severe autism,
the quests task you with mentally beating your head against a proverbial wall,
and the faces are hopw roewur ne.

tl;dr there is no life in the void, only death. If you like Oblivion you hate the elder scrolls. The OP should be castrated.

and yet you come back and play it, and talk about it, and play it and play it

and play it
I played through the main quest once, years ago. haven't touched it since. But something so terrible is quite the an interesting subject for discussion.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wallhaven-30561.jpg

Athos

Arcane
point was in people believing any kind of retarded shit without objecting.
Bitch please, Oblivion's plot is fundamentally retarded no matter how you look at it and of all the arguments you could have used to defend it you used "le middle ages man" meme.
Edit:

MadMaxHellfire just to elaborate further, it doesn't make sense that the Blades, an arcane order of warriors/bodyguards quite well accustomed with the metaphysical fabric of Tamriel, would let an escaped convict carry the cornerstone of the planes around, no matter what the emperor said in the five minutes of the tutorial. The whole "you are the one in my dreams!" would work better if it was tied more clearly to the Elder Scrolls as a prophecy and if the big twist came in the middle of the main quest, when the PC had the time to establish a reputation.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom