Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God DAMN Divinity II is addictive

DraQ

Arcane
Well, i'd rather he casted spells, because i'm a tank myself but yeah, will try melee creature for a change.
Well, then the M&Ms might not be a bad option.

You could always engage more conservatively (hide behind stuff to avoid ranged spam) and only rush when creature is in place and starts casting.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What's M&Ms?
3084152117_1_5_EnIiAkoK.jpg
?

Could you fucks plz stop using abbreviations to replace plain text on half of what you intend to mean? This abbreviation spam i've seen lately on Codex is an abomination unto God.

Oh, btw, have you played JHoB and used T&S to gain better ODCBT in all the HERPaDERP areas?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Magic Missiles? Why ''&'' then? Guess i needed to read that draconian to rivellonian dictionary after all.;/

Also it is rare you can hide behind something, at least in tough/boss fights. It's always better to engage ASAP. Trying to evade or hide has usually caused me more damage than simply bullrushing and, making RAPE.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Overall I hated the choice, not the least because it was artificially set-up one, and closed choice, whereas I like to be able to screw around with my choices and game recognizing me trying to break them as part of the game, so neither boxed in choices with only predefined options, nor "choose A, B, or A and B plus free blowjob and million GP" satisfy me.
Yeah, I'm a horrible guy.

The choices suck because they were arbitrarly as fuck. It sounded as if larian have heard about this cool CnC thing in Mass Effect 1 and tried to implement it without actually seeing it in the work. They could just let them leave or force a layer through a situation when they'd die naturally, like a forcing you to save some, but only giving you limited time to do so. Actually most things wrong with Divinity 2 can be attributed to Larian trying to implement some foreign idea and failing. The terrible twist, everyone hated was a try at transplanting unreliable guides from System Schock 2 and Bioshock, while Damien which comes out as some mary-sue but villain is an attempt to give Divinity series smarter-than-though villain like the Joker, Lex Luthor or David Xanatos (also known as that guy TV-tropes-tards worship day and night). Larian is actually good when they do whimsical light-fantasy, when they do something that is obvsiously foreign to them like anything that is supposed to be deep.
I actually liked the terrible twist. It's not often a twist can catch me off guard, and even less often when it does so while subtly foreshadowing itself instead of just lolrandom.
The immense avalanche of butthurt it caused on the interwebs was even better.

The island, OTOH, was derp.
The twist was terrible because it didn't make sense at all.

One could initially believe that Damian had planned everything but the final cutscene of the game dispels that notion too, which renders the moments during the game where Damian randomly pops up, threatens to kill you and pops out leaving some weak henchmen behind utterly retarded as well.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Look abnaxus, hide the plot shite behind spoiler tags. I didn't read after the ''One could initially believe that Damian had planned'' line because i know THERE WILL BE A SPOILER, but that's me.

Anyhow, it seems Div2 uses quite a lot of assets from DD soundtrack, only reworked. In some cases it's pure decline. Like the Sentinel island main theme vs the . The former turn into epic orchestral dung later on.
DAT intro though.

DraQ

Arcane
Look abnaxus, hide the plot shite behind spoiler tags. I didn't read after the ''One could initially believe that Damian had planned'' line because i know THERE WILL BE A SPOILER, but that's me.
Thankfully there haven't been any major spoiler yet other than the existence of a twist.

(There will be one, though, if you keep insulting the Sentinel Island theme. )

One could initially believe that Damian had planned everything but the final cutscene of the game dispels that notion too, which renders the moments during the game where Damian randomly pops up, threatens to kill you and pops out leaving some weak henchmen behind utterly retarded as well.
My impression (IIRC) was that
Damian and Ygerna worked towards the same goal from both ends but without much actual communication (dead, you know) and that Damian suspected you of trying to thwart him - crossing over to the Hall of Echoes and stuff - and not realized you were actually playing into his hands.
He didn't kill you outright because obligatory ineffectual hammy high fantasy villain conduct clause has forbidden him from doing so - do mind that the game is at least partially a pastiche/parody of high (as fuck) fantasy and a decent one too, so villain dropping in, threatening and insulting you only to leave, tasking the henchmen to fight you instead is par of the course.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Damian and Ygerna worked towards the same goal from both ends but without much actual communication (dead, you know) and that Damian suspected you of trying to thwart him - crossing over to the Hall of Echoes and stuff - and not realized you were actually playing into his hands.
He didn't kill you outright because obligatory ineffectual hammy high fantasy villain conduct clause has forbidden him from doing so - do mind that the game is at least partially a pastiche/parody of high (as fuck) fantasy and a decent one too, so villain dropping in, threatening and insulting you only to leave, tasking the henchmen to fight you instead is par of the course.
It all comes down to Ygerna mind-controlling Talana from beyond the grave, which is a retarded notion. It would be possible if Ygerna was ridiculously powerful, similar in power to Bellegar or Zandalor, but this breaks Beyond Divinity lore where she is nothing special, just a random sorceress send to seduce Damian.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with this Ygerna/Talana twist is not the twist itself, but that it was poorly communicated and explained, which left a lot of players - including me - extremely confused as to what exactly happened, and how, and why, and when. It may make sense if you think about it long enough, or perhaps not.. Probably not. It was just not a well told story.

I really liked that you ended up in the crystal and the bad guys launching their attack. It was a pretty dramatic and bleak ending. Apparently, a lot of people disliked it though, so we got the group-hug ending in FoV.

DraQ

Arcane

It all comes down to Ygerna mind-controlling Talana from beyond the grave, which is a retarded notion. It would be possible if Ygerna was ridiculously powerful, similar in power to Bellegar or Zandalor, but this breaks Beyond Divinity lore where she is nothing special, just a random sorceress send to seduce Damian.
Was there anything in game suggesting that she mind controlled Talana or did she just speak to you in your head for you to falsely assume that it's actually Talana guiding you from beyond? In that case surviving intact in the hall of echoes would be the hardest part of her plan, no need to mind control anyone just good old fashioned reverse necromancy (in the old sense of communication rather than
:necro:).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Was there anything in game suggesting that she mind controlled Talana or did she just speak to you in your head for you to falsely assume that it's actually Talana guiding you from beyond? In that case surviving intact in the hall of echoes would be the hardest part of her plan, no need to mind control anyone just good old fashioned reverse necromancy (in the old sense of communication rather than
:necro:).
IIRC she must've taken over when Talana mind melted with the Dragon Slayer and showed him/her that vision of Damian's armadas.

Better not to think much about it. It's all one big ridiculous Xanatos gambit.

DraQ

Arcane
IIRC she must've taken over when Talana mind melted with the Dragon Slayer and showed him/her that vision of Damian's armadas.
How about:
  • Talana bestows the gift on Slayer and shows him the vision
  • Talana just dies, and her spirit doesn't piggyback onto your soul, giving you serious mental sympthoms (them voices) like you're led to believe, she just goes to HoE or whatever
  • Ygerna, who has been keeping an eye on the situation exploits the new opportunity: "Hi, Talana speaking..."
Case in point:
If Ygerna could have mind controlled Talana, why not just mind control YOU?
Of course, she might also have just fooled Talana and then used her to fool you, but there are hints in game that Talana speaking in your head isn't Talana.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wonder how most of you dealt with the blind philosopher quest. Malachite gems are useful for top enchantments so i hesitate to give them to him. Reward seems average or maybe i'm missing something?
edit: i just realized it gives 2 skill points so i guess it is worth it after all

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I wonder how are fortresses compering in terms of difficulty? I just started my second and seems they scale to my level.

DraQ

Arcane
I wonder how are fortresses compering in terms of difficulty? I just started my second and seems they scale to my level.
I don't think anything is LS in Divinity 2.

As for the fortresses I never got all the :butthurt:.
Sure, they could have used more diversity (especially the aerial part) and structure but I even enjoyed them somewhat in a derpy H&S way.
Surreal atmosphere/visual direction helped with that.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well it just feels weird that mobs in the first fortress i went through were approximately my level or a little bellow/above and now i've leveled up for some 7-8 levels, entered a different fortress and mobs (also turrets) are just a tad bit stronger to match my protag in exactly the same threshold.

(don't know about maze, but real butthurt was fighting the demon in ta narrow cave until i finally got the right sequence)

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding Keara's maze

I am not really used to puzzles in video games and to be honest I am not particularly good at them when they show up (even though I feel I might be getting better), so I was pretty proud of myself when I was able to solve that problem without a walkthrough. Did many people have a problem with the riddle or why do you expect butthurt?

DraQ

Arcane

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I want to try Divinity:OS, but i have this tingling need to finish Divinity 2 (just like a had to with DD despite abysmal fortresses ending). So i fired it up from the place i stopped last time (after killing the Enineer) and went straight forward to Champion's Academy or what was its name. Didn't know that from there it's basically the main quest done (after Belegrin/Belegar shit). So i teleported back to main area of the addon, but have most of my side quests unfinished. There's like shitloads of them. About 30 or smth. Should i go and finish them?

I don't ask it because of level/power thing. I'm level 43 and a total killing machine so i don't think that final boss battle would be any difficult. More like, i just really loved all the little side quests in none-addon part and don't want to miss any hilarious stuff by finishing the game too early? Really want to start the OS, but don't want to leave unfinished business for sake of continuity and possibly great content. (specially went trough DX:IW just so i had ''a right'' to start HR).
What do? Halp Codex!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some of those side quests are cool. Plus you get to troll Amdusias once more by having someone tell him 'Maxos!'
Best part of that quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom