Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God DAMN Divinity II is addictive

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Finished the game, dont know how long it took me since the steam counter doesnt work for that game. The last fight with Zandalor was very tough, and i played it on Easy. Can't imagine how you can beat that in normal or harder.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Played on nightmare, fight with Zandalor was extremely easy, charge, 1000 strikes, dead target. Flame wall, auto-attack a bit, repeat.
Equip 2 weapons, enchant both with normal and magic damage increase (highest possible ie +100) and one with mana leech the other with life leech.
Had ~1000 normal dmg, ~900 magic damage in the weapon stats (per hit, rofl). Given that kind of damage most mobs will die in like 2 hits, while healing you to full in the process. (also level up the life leech skill)
Used the Hypo-thingie Blade (you can buy that sword from Deodatus) which has 3 enchantment slots, and 3 charm slots and this Razakaels Hammer.
In FoV I upgraded to Deodatus Mace (4! enchantment slots) and another sword with better stats called Bloodblade or something. Damage increased to like 1400 normal 1150 magic. 60% critical hit chance.

I think they went a bit over the top with the DKS "balance" changes.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
I've had no problems with it when playing a hybrid bow-mage.

The fight kinda went like this:
Get polymorphed, duck behind a column.
Cast both the mage and archer damage buffs, drink armour pot, summon daemon and creature.
Cast fireball - explosive arrow - magic missile - magic missile - explosive arrow... etc.
After second or third fireball, only the Divine and Zandalor were left alive with just a tiny bit of life left.

Really, the fight might only be difficult if one was grossly underleveled or undergeared.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I definitely was undergeared then. 1000 damage per shot? I had about 150. I was level 33, and had all my points spent on the warrior skills, vitality and force, with a bit on intelligence. Was using a one handed and shield. I got my ass beat on Easy mode in final fight.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Every weapon (well the good ones anyway) does part normal weapon damage and part magic damage. Strength increases normal damage, INT increases magic damage (of weapons and spells alike). Normal and magic damage combined I had almost 2000 at the end of the Ego Draconis part of the game. 2000 if it doesn't crit. Of course you need weapons that already come with good stats and have preferably 3 enchantment slots, plus a few charm slots for additional stats. Early on I put points in bow like poison arrow (2) and stun arrow (1) because you can only take the proper melee skills like 1000 strikes from lvl15 onwards and you don't have the stats yet to charge in melee and survive when all mobs are focussing you. As soon as I got the tower I respecced to get rid of all bow points.
I had the following skills iirc:
- open lock maxed
- charge 1
- 1000 strikes (10) could increase to 15 but it's a waste, bosses die with 10 already easily enough
- life leech 8
- mana leech 1
- dual wield maxed
- summon demon 3
- firewall maxed
- regeneration 2
- evasion (maxes out at 50% at 15)

In FoV I also took fireball, mana efficiency, destruction and the skill that increases critical hit chance.

T. Reich

Arcane
I definitely was undergeared then. 1000 damage per shot? I had about 150. I was level 33, and had all my points spent on the warrior skills, vitality and force, with a bit on intelligence. Was using a one handed and shield. I got my ass beat on Easy mode in final fight.

You should've bought the Blade of Hypnerotomachia from Deodatus in the Ministry of Aleroth (after mindreading him) - it's the best non-magic dmg 1h available in the non-expansion game. Only the Maxos' Hammer (biught from a one-time travelling merchant encounter in Orobas Fjords) can compare to it really. Throw at least lvl9 increased damage + increased magical damage on it, plus buff your str score, and you're already looking at upwards 500 dmg per non-skill attack. Much more if actually using warrior skills :P.

Of course, dual-wielding is hands-down better, shields are totally unimpressive in Divinity.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just did a few fortresses and passed on the rest due to sanity. One I did very thoroughly - killed everything, the other I just kinda skipped all the trash and went for the boss mobs. I wasn't really hurting for XP after the first fortress.

My policy too. They didn't feel like much of a deal, probably just a chance for people to gain a few levels in order to progress in the game, had they skipped quests or stuff and found themselves underleveled.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I really hate that you have to choose between servants. The alchemist dilemma being obviously the most difficult. Really feel pity towards that Allan dude and want to help him, but the dickhead alch is obviously better. Why is the other half of candidates supposed to die anyway? Does the game ever explain that? Fuck Larian. :argh:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really hate that you have to choose between servants. The alchemist dilemma being obviously the most difficult. Really feel pity towards that Allan dude and want to help him, but the dickhead alch is obviously better. Why is the other half of candidates supposed to die anyway? Does the game ever explain that? Fuck Larian. :argh:
Bcoz mah choices bro.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I took a liberty to spoil myself and learned the differences between them so basically took the most effective ones. Except with necros, who's abilities don't matter, because Creature sucks anyway.
The Josomething necromancer, because the other one's subservience is creepy.
The deuchebag alchemist, because he is obviously more skilled and there is some book that that grants stat points i would otherwise had to miss if choosing the other guy.
The chick trainer because of the similar reason and i'm playing pure melee so her specialty is what i need anyway.
Enchanter with wife, because again, he is apparently the more skilled in his trade than the drunkard.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally finished this game.
Doubt I'd be playing it again for a while, but it was fun while it lasted.

DraQ

Arcane
I took a liberty to spoil myself and learned the differences between them so basically took the most effective ones. Except with necros, who's abilities don't matter, because Creature sucks anyway.
Creature makes a good tank, mostly, though it can make support as well.
In any case it's pretty much free to use, so there is no reason not to and all the reasons to do it well.

The Josomething necromancer, because the other one's subservience is creepy.
They both are.

The deuchebag alchemist, because he is obviously more skilled and there is some book that that grants stat points i would otherwise had to miss if choosing the other guy.
Fortunately he mellows out a little bit afterwards.

Enchanter with wife, because again, he is apparently the more skilled in his trade than the drunkard.
Both are good, the drunkard is weapons guy, the dude with wife is good at armor.

Overall I hated the choice, not the least because it was artificially set-up one, and closed choice, whereas I like to be able to screw around with my choices and game recognizing me trying to break them as part of the game, so neither boxed in choices with only predefined options, nor "choose A, B, or A and B plus free blowjob and million GP" satisfy me.
Yeah, I'm a horrible guy.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Overall I hated the choice, not the least because it was artificially set-up one, and closed choice, whereas I like to be able to screw around with my choices and game recognizing me trying to break them as part of the game, so neither boxed in choices with only predefined options, nor "choose A, B, or A and B plus free blowjob and million GP" satisfy me.

The choices suck because they were arbitrarly as fuck. It sounded as if larian have heard about this cool CnC thing in Mass Effect 1 and tried to implement it without actually seeing it in the work. They could just let them leave or force a layer through a situation when they'd die naturally, like a forcing you to save some, but only giving you limited time to do so. Actually most things wrong with Divinity 2 can be attributed to Larian trying to implement some foreign idea and failing. The terrible twist, everyone hated was a try at transplanting unreliable guides from System Schock 2 and Bioshock, while Damien which comes out as some mary-sue but villain is an attempt to give Divinity series smarter-than-though villain like the Joker, Lex Luthor or David Xanatos (also known as that guy TV-tropes-tards worship day and night). Larian is actually good when they do whimsical light-fantasy, when they do something that is obvsiously foreign to them like anything that is supposed to be deep.

DraQ

Arcane

The choices suck because they were arbitrarly as fuck. It sounded as if larian have heard about this cool CnC thing in Mass Effect 1 and tried to implement it without actually seeing it in the work. They could just let them leave or force a layer through a situation when they'd die naturally, like a forcing you to save some, but only giving you limited time to do so. Actually most things wrong with Divinity 2 can be attributed to Larian trying to implement some foreign idea and failing. The terrible twist, everyone hated was a try at transplanting unreliable guides from System Schock 2 and Bioshock, while Damien which comes out as some mary-sue but villain is an attempt to give Divinity series smarter-than-though villain like the Joker, Lex Luthor or David Xanatos (also known as that guy TV-tropes-tards worship day and night). Larian is actually good when they do whimsical light-fantasy, when they do something that is obvsiously foreign to them like anything that is supposed to be deep.
I actually liked the terrible twist. It's not often a twist can catch me off guard, and even less often when it does so while subtly foreshadowing itself instead of just lolrandom.
The immense avalanche of butthurt it caused on the interwebs was even better.

The island, OTOH, was derp.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
allan brew is a million times better than 5 int and 1 skill point
I don't see how especially given i don't even know if i'll ever use that potion.

As for creature. It just drags along too slowly and i never seen it being much involved in combat. I given him elf head with lvl 7 MM and MB. It does a notable damage, but rarely do i see those spells being executed. I've usually mowed down the mob before the creature even arrives at the scene.

DraQ

Arcane
As for creature. It just drags along too slowly and i never seen it being much involved in combat. I given him elf head with lvl 7 MM and MB. It does a notable damage, but rarely do i see those spells being executed. I've usually mowed down the mob before the creature even arrives at the scene.
If you need a tank, use vanilla or undead head.

Vanilla for moar tanking, undead for ability to tie the enemies in combat rapidly.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Well, i'd rather he casted spells, because i'm a tank myself but yeah, will try melee creature for a change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom