Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gnomoria

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
So fellow assburgers, cave dwelelrs and dwarf faggots gamers, how is the apparent DF clone, Gnomoria? Is it worth the 5 $ ?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I approve of this game but it needs (much) more content and some stuff is unfinished (doors don't stop enemies, 2 types of enemies but with varying equipment and numbers, no way to do anything with bones/skulls/dead bodies, research+crafting system is promising but needs to be expanded). It's still in alpha after all.

The interface is cool too.

How hard can it be to make a game where the main challenge is not fighting the shitty fugly interface, Toady?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a good game. DF clone with nice graphic and convenient interface. In some ways it's inferior to DF, in others superior. I haven't really played that much so maybe I'll hold my opinion for now, but I can say that it's definitely worth $5 and even more. I enjoy it just as much as DF and it still has hope to get better, while Toady (DF dev) makes some useless shit like falling leaves from trees and picking them up (yes, really) instead of fixing all the combat stuff and so on.

dextermorgan

Arcane
It's a far cry from DF I'm afraid. It severely lacks in both complexity and content. I'd say try first, drop jewgold only if you see the potential and want to support the devs in expanding the game.

Gerrard

Arcane
There's complexity, and then there's complexity for complexity's sake.

Rpgsaurus Rex

OK I've tried the Demo out and...

It is much harder to do stuff than in the original DF, and that's an achievement. I also prefer DF's tiles look to the isometric minecraft-like faggotry.

Enable a top-down view and make proper shortcuts, ffs.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Minecraft is isometric. You've heard it here folks.
2 different adjectives nigger

I see you missed my point.

I'm also hoping you will tell me how controlling a game with shitty "graphics" and non-existent interface like Minecraft is so much easier than using a context-sensitive right click menu with isometric viewpoint that shows what's above and below you.
Kinda want to learn from a hardcore newfag like you.

Rpgsaurus Rex

MetalCraze it's you who is missing the point, fag

play a bit of DF, to see the superiority of 2d top-down clear view DF original to a shabby isometric DF clone with your own eyes

Raapys

Arcane
You can use 'f' to lower the walls, which helps a bit. But anyway, I think the UI and stuff is fine'ish. Game's enjoyable...for a few hours. Once I'd played for that long, I remembered how much better DF is and went back to that. If we assume that Toady stops doing Fortress mode improvements right now( which unfortunately seems closer to the truth than I'd like), then Gnomoria might be in the ballpark in a couple of years, give or take. And with that I'm not even including the 'useless' stuff like the stupid leaves, just the essentials.

Rpgsaurus Rex

You can use 'f' to lower the walls, which helps a bit. But anyway, I think the UI and stuff is fine'ish. Game's enjoyable...for a few hours. Once I'd played for that long, I remembered how much better DF is and went back to that. If we assume that Toady stops doing Fortress mode improvements right now( which unfortunately seems closer to the truth than I'd like), then Gnomoria might be in the ballpark in a couple of years, give or take. And with that I'm not even including the 'useless' stuff like the stupid leaves, just the essentials.

The key to understanding Gnomoria.

Quilty

Magister
How's Gnomoria doing these day? Has it improved in any significant way?

I've only ever tried DF, got INCREDIBLY hooked on it. However, the moaning, sexy graphics whore inside me aches for the pretty graphics of Gnomoria...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Quilty

As part of a current DF fortress mode vs Gnomoria comparison, I would say Gnomoria lacks and/or needs:
- morale, gnomes going berserk. They can take any and all death with ease which is a bit robotic compared to DF dwarves. Indeed while they have stats they lack individuality apart from different looks, also it could use stuff like gnomes marrying and having kids.
- epic monsters, because the regular enemies do get piss easy if you survive long enough (at least the surviving long enough bit is challenging)
- more enemies in general, has like 6 types at the moment not counting wild animals.
- more wild animals and being able to tame them (I want a pet bear for guard duty damn it!).
- different biomes/environments. Only generic temperate (albeit with wild orange trees) forests/hills for now. Could use volcanoes and ice, deserts and swamps.
- cemeteries and burying gnomes.
- more mechanical devices like water pumps, water wheels, flood gates and the like not to mention minecarts would be much appreciated. Water works properly but rivers don't appear to be coded in yet. Magma-powered things would also be nice.
- more minerals, there's a bunch of them but not the sperging amount toady has in DF. Also ore is pure (unlike say galena or tetrahedrite of DF) which may or may not be an issue for you.
- more plants, mushrooms are being worked on now though. Also you can grow cotton and wheat underground with no explanation.
- gravity, that is no more floating floors or blocks with nothing suspending it in the air.
- more reasons to trade with the outside world.
- better cavern generation, they're pretty dull for now.
- no visual differences between seasons, trees just don't grow fruit and grass doesn't spread to empty dirt floor tiles in winter. Water doesn't freeze.
- no forest fires

Of course it also lacks the whole world generation and simulation thing DF has, it only generates the map and a few random off-screen enemy kingdoms around it.

The things Gnomoria does better than DF however are:
- an actual mouse-compatible GUI, a really good one IMO with sensible keyboard shortcuts under 1-0 number keys.
- being able to select the building materials for furniture before placing the furniture, thus allowing easy placement of identical stuff.
- automatically adding basic ingredients to the queue list at an appropriate workshop when you make new orders. Say you order to make a bed at the carpenter's, the carpenter's workshop will also get orders for bed frame and sticks, the sawmill for planks for the bed frame, the tailor for the mattress and the loom for the bolts of cloth for the mattress. Greatly reduces tedious micro.
- likewise crafting ingredient chains are more complex like the bed mentioned above (you can make shitty beds just from straw at the start though).
- being able to plant trees or make orchards for apple/orange harvesting.
- having to build and fill troughs for ranched animals with straw.
- easy expanding of designates areas like stockpiles or pastures without having to delete and recreate them.
- squad perk and tactics system. You can have gnomes focus in disarming opponents, knocking them down, finishing knocked down opponents etc. giving them bonuses.
- inventing random mechanisms, a nice touch which also makes the early survival harder since you can't build traps from the start.
- making sausages from dead goblin attackers, you can also make floors out of their bones or helmets and bone-shirts. No skull thrones though.
- pretty decorative blocks and of course better graphics overall.

Difficulty wise they're pretty equal at least in the beginning, although attacks come faster than in DF and you don't have traps early on (or the manpower to waste time tinkering). So casualties are to be expected unless you prepare well. In fact you could argue attacks come too often, especially if your food stockpiles attract mants (man-ants). But attack strength and frequency can be adjusted as can the rate of their strength's growth.

It's a fair alternative, mostly because the UI is much better than in DF, but of course apart from the awful as fuck UI DF has a lot more going for it. Still for now it looks like this is the best DF clone, not saying much but I wouldn't dismiss Gnomoria because overall it is heading into a good direction for now. It does however need more features as mentioned above.

Quilty

Magister
Mants and goblin sausages sounds fun!

Thanks, Hellraiser. :)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Believe me, mants are anything but fun. They are FUN though. I just wish there was a way to make something out of their corpses since those tend to pile up after a while (if they don't murder all your gnomes), use the exoskeletons for breastplates or shields maybe? Polish them and make mirrors out of them? Doors? Tables maybe? Indeed a bear bone+mant plate table and chair set could look rather nice in a dining hall.

Also cooked mant kebab would go nice with apple wine. Eating your enemies has a certain appeal to it.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
haven't played in a while and just from what hellraiser wrote i see a lot of progress

when i last played the item qeues were much more basic, there were fewer things to grow and the animals fed themselves

guess it's time to start a new game...

btw.: did it get more stable ? i hated building a huge pyramid (1/3 of the map as the ground floor) with a golden top for my gnomes, just to have the game crash and the savegame get corrupted

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got it in a humble bundle recently and just learning to play. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell your non soldier gnomes to run away when attacked?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom