Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

The Anti-Santa

Learned
Checked my game in Galaxy, it apparently received the "Revision Update", that probably means you get the update to be able to install Revision? Because it is still listed as a separate product, and it even appears as a product you can "buy".
I don't have DE currently installed but in the rollback section apparently you still have the option from two years ago.

I have Deus Ex currently installed via Galaxy with GMDX installed as well. Thank god I didn't have automatic updates installed or it might have fucked things up. But if I understand what you're saying is, Revision still has to be activated and doesn't override the vanilla game when initially downloaded?

pippin

This is how it looks like

pLyLKoo.jpg

Note the "Revision" Update. Revision itself is not added to my account yet, or at least I think so...
The achievements were added by the update, but they won't be unlocked unless you have Revision installed, according to the forums. The update had to add them so they could work with Revision.
BTW, I've already played DE, it's just that I haven't used Galaxy to play it yet :P

6mxHGVC.jpg

The Rollback still features the last updated, from 2 years ago. The Revision update is almost 3 weeks old at this point. It's also very curious to me that they actually named it REVISION UPDATE and gave it what it looks like an official number. Clearly this has more to do with Squeenix pushing it. I guess it's cheaper than doing an EE?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Clearly this has more to do with Squeenix pushing it. I guess it's cheaper than doing an EE?
How many dicks does one have to suck in order to get their mod pushed as an """update"""?
The industry is so bizarre now. Seems to be an emerging trait wherever there has been Publisher<->Developer fall-out.

There's always a creative stagnation, and one way to "break back in", is by hiring professional modders to re-brand dormant assets - as a "Developer". Will "Caustic Creative" be the "Beamdog of Ion Storm" for Square? :roll: Shit long-term for the "developer". You're a puppet label, then you'll be bought and re-fitted with some actual creative talent, once all is done. Hilarious WoC think Gaider is the first of that "talent" :lol:

Last edited:

pippin

Fresh install with GOG Galaxy
No mods installed, just vanilla. The latest update applied to the game is shown below the exit button and it's the same as before.

gOTcuOZ.jpg

Ash

Jazz_

Arcane
*browses over the whole shit show*

Too fucking funny: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_deus_ex_revision_free_mod_2b416/post153

I'm supposed to remain silent in times like these, but really, that image depicts it best (whoever made it deserves a medal), and I'm not surprised the informed portion of the fanbase is up in arms. Also if you download Deus Ex from GoG Revision comes bundled within like adware, and you have to downgrade your game version to be able to play the original or some shit like that. I don't know I'm far too busy right now to keep up.

From one of the posts in that thread:

''No idea if this mod is good, but don't listen to any retard who suggests The Nameless Mod as an alternative, it's utter garbage. Unless your idea of good dialogue is "My pants are on fire" and you delight in random memes from a forum you never visited.''

This is so spot on. :lol:
I've never understood all the praise for that mod, I was cringing hard when I tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I gave it a shot to the rival mod and...
I choose to download it before installing, for some reason it does not recognize these downloaded files and can't install the mod. You have to click on Install button at the right side of the Galaxy screen. I have huge transfer at night and tiny in the day so thanks for wasting my time and transfer assholes...
And to play Revision you have to go through Galaxy->Deus Ex GotY->More->last option and here you find button to play this mod. You can install other mods and play them. But why would you play other mods? At that moment I have only Terminus Machina
Lets_Play_Terminus_Machina.png
which have p. Cleverian feeling. And GMDX. Again.
First impression - so many modifier to spice up the playthrough.
Second look - most of them are retarded. Any item take one square in the inventory? Trenchcoat to limit carry space? Invisible and silent, enemies and robots? Invisible all items to pick? Random weight so suddenly you can't pick candy bar? Or maybe TURN EVERYONE INTO JCD??
And there are a lot of achievement, in theory - motivation to play game again in different way. But most of them are retarded. Just like whole mod. Waste of time.
edit: playing with these modifiers so you get achievement after beating the game (take me ~20h), nothx, more retarded than Xbawx achievement hunters...
Big announcement and many changes and it still make .bmp dark as fuck screenshots...

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
My thoughts as to why achievements are awful, with special mention of why they are extra awful in the context of the Immersive Sim or a classic RPG in general:

I'm against them because a) old games would often just have "unlockable" content instead of achievements. Achievements often simply replace that content these days. b) They spawned "achievement hunters", people that buy (and therefore support the creation of) bad games just to farm the game's achievements. c) for some games, like Deus Ex, they encourage grinding/farming/generally out of character behavior to unlock the achievements. Instead of potentially viewing NPCs as living beings, you view them as one of "kill 50 NPCs with a throwing knife".

They've no place in the game.

Yes. Fans are getting behind GMDX stronger than ever while I can be free to bring the incline without having to worry about all that. Expect media presence to ramp up soon.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

''No idea if this mod is good, but don't listen to any retard who suggests The Nameless Mod as an alternative, it's utter garbage. Unless your idea of good dialogue is "My pants are on fire" and you delight in random memes from a forum you never visited.''

I've never understood all the praise for that mod, I was cringing hard when I tried it.

C'mon, TNM isn't bad. Silly or cringey? Absolutely. Not DX/an Immersive Sim? Nope. But it's well put together, with awareness of basic game design concepts. The same can't be said for...

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The Nameless Mod is definitely good and impressive, but it's also perhaps the only game I've played where I felt like I had to pick the "evil" path and fuck everyone over as hard as I could. Thankfully they did include that option.

DavetheGrave

Literate

C'mon, TNM isn't bad. Silly or cringey? Absolutely. Not DX/an Immersive Sim? Nope. But it's well put together, with awareness of basic game design concepts. The same can't be said for...

TNM is good when you actually get in the in-joke, otherwise it's not really worth playing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There should some for of encyclopedia (even when unlocked after finishing the mod) to explain what the hell is going on here and why it happen or what the whattty what

Thank goodness codexers won't produce any mods for any game similair to TNM Codex Themed even by replacing textures or editing .INI files.
Dying breed.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

TNM is good when you actually get in the in-joke, otherwise it's not really worth playing.
Eh, I'd say its not about the in jokes (they aren't that prominent), its more about the style of humor and the setting. Some people hate it, some like it.

It has very good gameplay, and most maps are very well designed. Lots of hidden treasures, iirc there's only like 4 people in the entire game you can't kill, and there's good story reasons for it...

Worth playing in my opinion, assuming you are fine with the setting and writing.

Ash

Arcane
"very good gameplay" is also a bit of an overstatement, unless you like playing through constant office levels and moderately empty hubs. But it's certainly not bad gameplay either.

Ash

Arcane

The first to be shown of GMDX's new weapon updates for Deus Ex.
This is a work in progress. A number of flaws shall be ironed out (e.g audio syncing) and the weapon shall feature a new high-resolution skin set at a later date (current is low-res placeholder).

Regarding the implementation of iron sights: if you're not at least a little concerned you're probably not much a Deus Ex fan, but fear not! The implementation of iron sights is intended to have little to no influence over Deus Ex's fantastic accuracy system. First of all this new feature shall be entirely optional. Second, Deus Ex already had aiming down sights (Scopes) and the intention is for iron sights to function similarly, with aiming sway based on weapon skill level. Untrained: an agent can't hit the broad side of a barn without remaining still for some time, as it is meant to be.
GMDX only adds content that fits, and this does indeed fit the bill.

http://www.givemedeusex.com/

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Popamole iron sights :argh:in mah deus ex? Bah, I like them, but mainly for immersion purposes, they shouldn't have that much of an impact in combat.

Was that shotgun modded to maximum? Even so, it seemed that it had a bit too long of a working range, when you shot that trooper that was far away from the top of the crate.

Anyway, it looks damn good.

Ash

Arcane
In the video the sights are purely cosmetic. I've not implemented any modifiers associated with it yet. The sawed-off has always had crazy good range vanilla when upgraded/mastered despite it not making much sense from a realism POV. Perfect sense gameplay balance-wise though, as range/accuracy is its prime advantage over the other shotgun.

The plan is to either emulate the scope sway behaviour with a good accuracy boost (so basically hook into the vanilla scope code directly), OR make it give you +5% accuracy with no sway but you're forced walking, OR just do absolutely nothing which is its current state. Doesn't add any control convolution either way as it uses the scope toggle key which is otherwise unused if there's not a scope on the weapon.
And I'll say it again: my priority is for it to hold no game-changing influence over the vanilla accuracy system/general gameplay whatsoever. Nobody need be concerned with this. It's just a nice little extra and as always with GMDX should have little to no downsides..

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Hey, I'm open to something to take its place. There must be one new arm aug as combat strength and combat speed have been split. It's not awarding something as valuable as xp and the benefits are very minor so it shouldn't hold notable influence over playstyle and moment to moment choices. That said, I'm still not comfortable with it and am open to changing it for something potentially better/more fitting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom