Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

RoSoDude

Arcane
Falling from heights actually isn't gory at all.

E.g. jump from a 9-storey building:
azYnncf.gif

The most realistic thing to do would be to emulate the "bounce" from such impacts, but a good physics engine and bone meshes are required for that to look decent (which DX doesn't have). Effort is better spent elsewhere.

Actually one of the things I'm looking at. I've always found the body animations in DX to be perhaps the blandest looking in the game, and am considering creating physics-based canned animations for them. Of course, this requires associating the vertex mesh points with a skeletal rig on which I can then run constrained dynamics simulations, but this is probably not the hardest part -- from what I hear, that's likely the import/export process.

Effort in general is perhaps better spent elsewhere, but physics simulation is all I know how to do lol. Unless you can think of better improvements (and ones that can be done in engine).

Ash

Arcane
Keep doing your thing.

I do have some physics-based ideas for you, but better corpse physics is probably more important.

Latelistener

Arcane
Speaking of physics, I wouldn't mind if balls would stop exploding if you throw them vertically up using the muscle augmentation. You aren't throwing them that high, and they lose acceleration you gave them due to gravity.

As for the bodies physics, I'm in, as long we don't have to deal with this later:

bf3-neck-640x360.jpg

RoSoDude

Arcane
Speaking of physics, I wouldn't mind if balls would stop exploding if you throw them vertically up using the muscle augmentation. You aren't throwing them that high, and they lose acceleration you gave them due to gravity.

As for the bodies physics, I'm in, as long we don't have to deal with this later:

bf3-neck-640x360.jpg

Haha. Crazy mesh deformation is definitely a concern, but hopefully if the animations are sufficiently canned (i.e. interpolation points are specified out of engine), this won't pop up. I can't say I know what the issues are yet, though.

I already have the general framework for how I'll do this but it'll take some time -- I haven't even tried getting the mesh points and I have to brush up on the finer points of the simulation. I imagine not many of you want to deal with Lagrange multipliers and time integration schemes, lol.

Ash

Arcane
I updated the Versalife skybox further to make the foreground blend in with the background a little better.

DeusEx_2016-10-14_01-09-43-877.jpg

Black

Arcane
Speaking of art, JC's hand could use a little help. It's a bit on the :prosper:side. And that's for the albino JC model!
FXodd71.jpg

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Speaking of art, JC's hand could use a little help. It's a bit on the :prosper:side. And that's for the albino JC model!

Just a perfectly fine hand for a blue collar worker like JC, what do you expect? the guy means business

RoSoDude

Arcane
Got 45 mins to spare? Here's a lesson on how to NOT do game design:

Youtube recommended that to me the day it came out lol.

His videos have gotten a bit better in production quality (like, audio levels), which is my only real complaint about them. He does a good job pointing the little bullshit details. Like the windows everywhere that actually compromise in-world security or believability.

Ash

Arcane
He does a good job pointing out the bigger issues too. I think he should open with those issues first in each video, so that his other complaints don't seem like excessive nitpicking (which in reality most of the time it isn't, it's picking at a cockroach infestation of issues instead).

Ash

Arcane
News Post: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/news/deus-ex-graphics-update

So you've seen the Announcement of GMDX v9.0, which promises to deliver a faithful Enhanced Artistic Direction to Deus Ex. This news post will focus on developments in that regard, and the recruitment of additional artists to further that goal.
Future news posts will cover other aspects of design, such as further Artificial Intelligence updates.

To truly deliver the best quality Deus Ex deserves further assistance will be needed. Here with GMDX is where Deus Ex's potential is to be fulfilled with faithful, integral accuracy.

2D Art:

The Optimization of New Vision

GMDX takes the excellent New Vision mod and optimizes its application to Deus Ex by evaluating how textures are applied to the game world and making improvements accordingly. For example where texture tiling was extremely obvious, now it no longer is. Textures are scaled and aligned where appropriate. In addition, GMDX seeks to address vanilla textures that New Vision did not update, or updated unfaithfully.

Here are some examples:

NYC Billboard (vanilla):

NYC Billboard (GMDX):

Not only is this an excellent high resolution faithful update of the original texture, it also adds new realistic details not originally possible, such as the faded paint and dirt. Details you'd expect from Deus Ex's dystopian New York.

Decals

GMDX adds numerous decals to the game world to diversify environments, obscure obvious ugly texture tiling, and to simply make each appropriate scene look prettier.

The Skybox as seen from Versalife data entry in GMDX v9.0:

In this image some decals can be seen. Focus on the shack to the left. Note the spots of rust on the roof? decals. More are in view if you know where to look.

Can you make high detail 2D textures? If so, Send me a message

3D Art:

The optimization of HDTP

HDTP is unfinished, more notably so than New Vision. Generic decorations, animated effects, weapons, each category has assets in need of an update. Currently GMDX has one 3D modeler lending support. More are needed.

As another example of the work being done, and the work expected from future artists: HDTP did not update the fire extinguisher mesh and skin. GMDX has:

Weaponry Overhaul

Something that is not set in stone yet, but a talented modeler by the name of Mortecha has proposed to redesign the game's weaponry in aesthetically pleasing and logical style. The assault gun for instance was neither a logical design nor (in my opinion) an aesthetically-pleasing one. Here's a untextured preview of what Mortecha has in store:

As you can see it's a divergence of style, but still remains relatively faithful to some extent. It is also a more realistic, functional and aesthetically-pleasing design.
For partial purism or plain variety's sake, there will likely be the option to play with HDTP's weaponry should you desire.

Animation Update

Did you know NPCs in Deus Ex have no reloading animation while moving or crouched?
Find the lack of NPC death animations to be a disappointment?
Find the awkward NPC running animations to be immersion-breaking?
Notice that NPCs with melee weapons can only attack while standing still?

To truly update Deus Ex to the extent it deserves is to address these issues and more. Yet not so vital advancements would be beneficial: An animation to accompany GMDX's mantling? New intricate weapon reload animations? What about dogs? Notice that they never sit or lie down, and their attack animation is lackluster? NPCs also have what is essentially one universal idle standing stance, adding more would be an immersive delight. I could go on...

Requirements:

An artist contributing to GMDX should strive to faithfully update vanilla assets, and any new assets should be created with conscious consideration for the game's design intricacies. For example, new generic interactive objects should be just that: generic. Generic so that they can subtly fit in to a variety of diverse locations without breaking player immersion. Conversely, unique location-specific objects should be wary of the themes, events class and culture of where it is attempting to fit.
The majority of meshes should be geometrically simplistic as the old version of the Unreal Engine Deus Ex runs on uses primitive collision cylinders. You get the idea.

If your skill set matches any of what is needed, Send me a message

Not an artist but still wish to help? Donations can be made on GMDX's website by clicking the paypal icon in the top right hand corner.http://www.moddb.com/messages/compose?to=|Totalitarian|

-Totalitarian

RoSoDude

Arcane
Weaponry Overhaul

Something that is not set in stone yet, but a talented modeler by the name of Mortecha has proposed to redesign the game's weaponry in aesthetically pleasing and logical style. The assault gun for instance was neither a logical design nor (in my opinion) an aesthetically-pleasing one. Here's a untextured preview of what Mortecha has in store:

I was on the fence about the new sawed-off shotgun I had seen just due to the difference in style, but I really like this. Still has the circular clip in the back but doesn't look like a total bullshit weapon. The only thing I might miss is the holographic sight that activates when the laser is activated -- honestly a stupid detail that doesn't make much sense, but cool anyway. I hope getting it to fit into JC's and NPC's hands correctly isn't a big problem...

Okay, back to my cave to work on those animations...

Ash

Arcane
I'm still on the fence about the weapons too as the difference in style is too great to ignore. Yet HDTP sometimes had the same problem. I told the modeler he should just focus on HDTP's failures but he wants his own creative freedom. So if there are any issues I'll just add the option to play with HDTP weapons.

Ash

Arcane
By the way KlauZ is responsible for many of the art assets shown. The excellent big tops texture, the fire extinguisher...People should shower his work with praise to encourage him to do more, as he is slacking lately!

KlauZ

Educated
I'd wish, i'm very busy for a week or two, barely have any time to shitpost on the internet.
Also it seems to be wip fire ext model, final is much better.

Does weapon artist also works on with animations? I wpoudn't mind to take a few pointers.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm still on the fence about the weapons too as the difference in style is too great to ignore. Yet HDTP sometimes had the same problem. I told the modeler he should just focus on HDTP's failures but he wants his own creative freedom. So if there are any issues I'll just add the option to play with HDTP weapons.
Creative freedom is good, as long as it will be somewhat inspired by the same things that inspired Ion Storm.
It would be great if he could re-create all of the weapons, including the melee ones, for the sake of consistency and immershun.

Ash

Arcane
He said he will recreate all the weapons, but I'm not betting any money on it. He doesn't know how to animate, for starters, but said he will learn. Like I said, it's not set in stone at the moment. Just depends if he has the passion for the game to see it through and doesn't let that horrid real life thing interfere.

So far he has modeled five weapons at a steady rate, so things are looking promising for now. If he keeps that rate up without burnout we may see all weapons modeled and skinned by Christmas/Q1 2017. But then the animation comes next. And then finally all the programming I'd have to do to fit them in the game and systems adequately.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom