Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
Have you considered restoring this?

I hadn't, but I will consider it now.

Black said:
When JC jumps diagonally at high speed and mantles, the momentum is conserved resulting in him "overshooting" the thing the player might've wanted to land on.

Yeah. Already fixed in v9.0. Like the recent announcement said, mantling has been improved a hell of a lot.

Ash

Arcane
Stealing (or the reaction to it, rather) is already in. Should be there in the unlocked options menu. Only applies to specific NPCs and they will immediately aggro. It's optional because it's not Looking Glass-tier design. Theft in an Immersive Sim would/should often, but not always, result in a conversation afterwards, not instant hostility as a rule.

Ash

Arcane
Pickpocketing? Not much that justifies the effort on my part. The majority of NPCs only have assault rifles and combat knives (although GMDX does add a little bit more diversity, which is good).

KlauZ

Educated
N8XHB18.png

This world is inverted. What a great metaphor, truly deep philosofical game.

Ash

Arcane
N8XHB18.png

This world is inverted. What a great metaphor, truly deep philosofical game.

Want to fix it? Maybe a simple texture u-flip can fix it, but probably not.

By the way, Klauz here is helping out with some of the less than perfect details of HDTP and New Vision. He's done some pretty great stuff already.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Hopefully he can fix the Chinese signs from New Vision too, though that's probably a tall order for him. It would certainly be nice for those to be authentic and close to the original, and not some bad attempts at jokes.

Ash

Arcane
There's approximately twenty Chinese signs. Not sure how many are accurate and how many are not. It would be nice to have accuracy and authenticity, but it is on the lower priority end on the scale. Ultimately I need more artists.

Ash

Arcane
GMDX has addressed a number of flaws, but many remain:

HDTP flaws:

HDTP's personal computer keyboard is illogical in layout.
The flagpole and Leather couch meshes do not have varying skins as they did vanilla.
The Dragon's Tooth lacks the motion blur effect when swung.
Human NPC Character models...well they're disabled and nothing will ever be done for them unfortunately.
The HDTP sawed-off shotgun was garbage and was replaced with vanilla, which is not desirable.
The sniper rifle just isn't that good.
The barrelfire mesh has a visual artifact and for some reason is purple.
Riot prod and stealth pistol get a lot of complaints regarding style.

Things HDTP left behind:

Fire Extinguisher
Tech goggles
Nanokey ring
Lockpick
Multitool
The PS20
A sizable bunch of generic deco.

New Vision flaws:

HK signs.
Some UNATCO personnel certificate & award textures are slightly questionable.

Things New Vision left behind:

New Vision did not update a handful of textures, such as the UNATCO break room bulletin board.
Will form a list at some point, in descending order based on priority.
Many (but not all) of New Vision's problems have been avoided in GMDX by simply not using/replacing those flawed or untouched textures with other NV textures. For HDTP on the other hand that is rarely an option.

New stuff GMDX could use that I consider high priority:

JC's hand holding generic inventory items in first person view, such as alchohol, flares, medkits, biocells etc complete with new animations.
New weapon animations (primarily reload).
New mantling animations.
A wide variety of new/redone NPC animations. NPCs lack reload animations (they only have animations when standing still - no reloading anim while crouched or moving). NPC running animation is universally considered garbage. NPCs do not have enough variety in death anims, etc etc.

Will have to update all this at some point, as this is only off the top of my head.

I currently have two artists, but GMDX has probably had eight or so overall. They come, see the work needed, experience the horrible import process and engine limitations, have to deal with my strict rule of fidelity/faithfulness, and run a mile. I'm hoping that my new guys will be different.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
Add the 10mm pistol model to that list. While it looks good on its own it's certainly unfaithful to the original 10mm pistol. I know the original 10mm pistol was not the most interesting gun design ever, but a more faithful model could be made instead. For example, this could be used as a base for a good 10mm replacement:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m11-a1.aspx

But that would be asking too much unless you have a dedicated modeler of course.

Ash

Arcane
New guy (not KlauZ) has done a 10mm concept draft:

deus_ex___10mm_pistol_redesign_schematic_by_mortecha-dairnfg.png

Looks very close to the sig m11.

However, I consider the 10mm a low priority model. It's one of the best in HDTP. Ever so slightly unfaithful, yes, but the vanilla weapon design wasn't worth a damn to begin with and I don't see how making it a sig m11 would be any more faithful, especially considering the original design was inspired by a H&K Glock, and so was HDTP's.

Some notes of the artist that accompany this concept:

I think the original pistol is rather bland and have redesigned it with functionality in mind and a sprinkling of HR design aesthetics on top. This all with regards to staying true to the original version.

Heavily inspired by Sig Sauer P320 and Zenith 10mm pistol from HR.

The summary is just saying that I applied how pistols work in real life to this design and then looked at the design of the Deus Ex Human Revolution 10mm pistol and was influenced by what was appropriate and futuristic looking, while making sure that the design doesn't stray too far away from the original weapon this design is redesigning. Blah mouth full lol.

I am by no means a master at drawing but all I can say is keep at it and you get better overtime
smile.gif

While I don't even consider HR canon, its weapon design (from an artistic and realistic standpoint) is probably just plain superior, as some aspects of vanilla DX's weaponry was rather questionable, so I don't mind a little inspiration drawn from HR. No fucking hexagonal silencers though please :roll:

I'm also trying not to scare the guy off. It's important people have a bit of creative freedom when doing extensive modelling/skinning/animation work, but I just won't accept anything if it is shit.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Human NPC Character models...well they're disabled and nothing will ever be done for them unfortunately.
May I ask what do you mean by "nothing will ever be done for them"? Is that an engine problem?

New guy has done a 10mm concept draft:

However, I consider the 10mm a low priority model. It's one of the best in HDTP. Ever so slightly unfaithful, yes, but the vanilla weapon wasn't worth a damn to begin with and I don't see how making it a sig m11 would be any more faithful, especially considering the original design was inspired by a H&K Glock, and so was HDTP's.
I think the big barrel is what makes the Deus Ex pistol special. Somewhat similar to the pistols other cyberpunk characters are using. HR has the same approach. Glock looks kinda small compared to this.

latest

judge_dredd_lawgiver_by_matsucorp-d3o2qwr.jpg

tumblr_nbwgqm4GgB1rdb1e3o1_500.jpg

c61d7e9c4ce1f0354d3760fbe82c30e3.jpg

Glock_17_MOD_45154998.jpg

Ash

Arcane
That glock in the final image was the primary inspiration behind HDTP and vanilla's pistol, if I am not mistaken.

May I ask what do you mean by "nothing will ever be done for them"? Is that an engine problem?

It's a huge amount of work. there's 19 character models if I recall, and a shitload of skins (and even more skins added by GMDX).
It demands that all that work be of the same consistent style, and all/at least 95% of them to be better than vanilla if we're leaving some room for inevitable error. It is feasible but digital artists appear to neglect Deus Ex (generally speaking) compared to other classics.
Furthermore the improvements will be minor. Just look at HDTP. While some are good, most used mirrored meshes/skins to squeeze extra polys out of it, and they're not really that much of an improvement over vanilla.

I'd like very much for it to happen, but I don't see it ever being fulfilled to the extent Deus Ex deserves, not while DX continues to be neglected anyway.

Dev_Anj

Learned
I think the big barrel is what makes the Deus Ex pistol special
Yup, that's the idea. I linked the Sig because it has a similarly big looking barrel without looking too clunky. HDTP's 10mm just looks kinda small compared to it.

Don't worry about him being scared off, so far the new guy is on the right track with the concept I've seen. I'll try to get more opinions on it though, nothing too severe will be conveyed publicly.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the character models are definitely best leaved as they are. Even though the models never looked particularly good and were probably one of the weakest aspects of DX's visuals, every attempt at improving them has resulted in a whole lot of

:prosper:

and very little actual improvement.

As for the 10mm pistol, I think both views are justified. You should always try to keep the original stuff intact unless you can truly improve upon it, and if it actually needs to be debated whether the modded version is better than the original, you should probably just stick with the original instead of changing it just for the sake of change. That being said, I was never a huge fan of the original 10mm pistol, as its design came off as unintentionally primitive (it was clearly meant to be just a real-world gun, not anything particularly "cyberpunky"), and the HDTP version does look nicer.

KlauZ

Educated
Want to fix it?
Yeah, I`ll get to it on NV remastering.

though that's probably a tall order for him
The only tall thing here is that i don`t know chinese.

I'm hoping that my new guys will be different.
No, I`ll probably burn out in a month, and then will do nothing but play MGSV for half a year.

experience the horrible import process
This. I already have a shiny new extinguisher model and the game just refuses to launch it. In the long run the most help to the project would be to figure out all the import\export kinks.
Or port the game to unity or smthn

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I watched this and it made me want to ask, have you considered using the added parts of maps in the ps2 version as inspiration/blueprints for changes to make in gmdx? The stuff beneath castle clinton intrigued me.

Ash

Arcane
The irradiated tunnel leading up to the La Guardia airfield helibase was inspired by the PS2 version. I added it primarily because more irradiated areas were needed with respect to the hazmat/env. training/environ resist aug, to make those build choices more viable, and to add another path to that area rather than having to swim or do the jumping puzzle where the platforms fall, and I assume that's why Ion Storm added it in the PS2 version too. Other than that there isn't a whole lot more to draw from that version. Some things may be worth looking into though. There was a couple more secrets added, and some better visuals. If I recall, the common NPC running animation was smoother too.

Klauz said:
No, I`ll probably burn out in a month, and then will do nothing but play Deus Ex w/GMDX for half a year.

Fixed.

Latelistener

Arcane
I'd like very much for it to happen, but I don't see it ever being fulfilled to the extent Deus Ex deserves, not while DX continues to be neglected anyway.
What a shame, maybe after 9.0 something will change, but you're right, it's not the first world problems. Reworking something you see 90% of the time (like hands, weapons, objects, etc), as you mentioned above, is definitely more important.

That glock in the final image was the primary inspiration behind HDTP and vanilla's pistol, if I am not mistaken.
Wiki says that even the texture for it is called glock, but it doesn't look like Glock to be honest. I don't really mind the model though, because I'm a fan of the stealth pistol anyway. The source of inspiration looks neat though:

Ghost-in-the-Shell-Seburo-CX-1.jpg
It looks like even Human Revolution took a lot from Seburo weaponry:

Seburo_S-30.jpg

seburo-c-26a.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom