Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

eXalted

Arcane
Nope, it's a vanilla oddity, and one I don't intend to change. It's common in games and for good reason. You already have huge advantage over dumb bots in intelligence, tools, the ability to reload etc. If we could shoot NPCs without them knowing your location it will be mole-popping city more than it already is. You get one shot at a silent ranged takedown, if you fuck it up and hit their leg or whatever, be prepared to run and hide or fight.
That will make enemies look stupid, yes, i was thinking exactly that but then why should one choose Silent Pistol instead of the usual 10mm Pistol?

I really sound stupid knowling that I beat the game with it plus the crossbow.

So the silencer is only good if used on a sniper then, because it is able to make one hit headshots?

Ash

Arcane
(8+150%) * 8 = 160.

That's stealth pistol base damage w/master pistol skill & max # of damage mods, multiplied by a headshot. Enough to one shot kill all humans except Commandos, Elites and MiBs, providing you don't hit their helmet.

All weapons with silencer are effective at silent one shot kills except the assault gun, but silencing it is still worthwhile as it still prevents the weapon from making a lot of noise, which will alert AI at a greater distance than enemy screams and distress will.

Mini crossbow (steel dart) and silenced sniper rifle are the true silent ranged OSK'ers for the toughest enemies. And they also pass through helmets, effectively ignoring them. Taser darts are better saved for these enemies too (over tranquilizer).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah stealth pistol is strong for a pistol-focused char. Even the dudes you can't one-shot won't be able to react before you put 1 or 2 more bullets and kill them since it's auto fire.

I didn't bother using the regular pistol because you only get a silencer fairly late, and by then you already burned a lot of upgrades on the stealth pistol.

Ash

Arcane
I love the regular pistol. Both are equally great with their own strengths and weaknesses though.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the HDTP stealth pistol model, though I'm not sure if it is the mesh or the skin, or both they dislike. Personally I don't mind the mesh (though it is a little unfaithful in style to vanilla), it was more the dirty carbon style skin that bothered me. I've given it a new paint job, which I will show at a later date. If people overwhelmingly think it is better I'll add it in v9.0, if not I'll make it an optional add-on as a separate download if I can be bothered.

Dev_Anj

Learned
(8+150%) * 8 = 160
Minor nitpick here, that's only for applying all the damage mods. The master pistol skill, like all weapon skills, grants 200% more damage. Each damage mod adds 10% more damage. So the max you can get without using the targeting aug is 250% more damage, which is not so amazing for the stealth pistol but is noticeable. I think it should be a more viable stealth tool on lower skill and mod levels too though.

Ash

Arcane
The master pistol skill, like all weapon skills, grants 200% more damage

Master skill levels grant +100%. Or 200% more damage. Same thing. Both mean double damage.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've seen a lot of people complain about the HDTP stealth pistol model, though I'm not sure if it is the mesh or the skin, or both they dislike. Personally I don't mind the mesh (though it is a little unfaithful in style to vanilla), it was more the dirty carbon style skin that bothered me. I've given it a new paint job, which I will show at a later date. If people overwhelmingly think it is better I'll add it in v9.0, if not I'll make it an optional add-on as a separate download if I can be bothered.
I didn't mind it. I don't like the design anyway since it looks very awkward to hold. Even more stupid with a scope attached.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Has anyone here managed to use either the laser targeting or the scope remote guidance of the GEP Gun in interesting ways? I keep thinking that it has potential for some interesting strategies, yet I haven't been able to come up with one so far.

Dev_Anj

Learned
I decided to test the "lockpicks are as many as multitools" theory. I loaded up Liberty Island through UnrealED, and using cheats I carefully scoured the whole mission, including checking chests and breaking containers, for lockpicks and multitools. I found a total of 4 lockpicks and 3 multitools. Guess the theory holds valid for the first level atleast.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I decided to test the "lockpicks are as many as multitools" theory. I loaded up Liberty Island through UnrealED, and using cheats I carefully scoured the whole mission, including checking chests and breaking containers, for lockpicks and multitools. I found a total of 4 lockpicks and 3 multitools. Guess the theory holds valid for the first level atleast.
Gotta take into account lockpicks and multitools that are inside locked containers though.

Black

Arcane
Lockpicks I find more useful because the codes you'd normally use multitools for can be found on data cubes, computers, bypassed by hacking, from dialogue etc
Nanokeys are rarer. And if you can't break the container (harder in GMDX than in vanilla) that only leaves the trusty pick.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
This is me installing the Laser Scope on the crossbow:

1*snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

Couldn't see why I should use it...

Yeah, I'm basically looking everywhere and it's not that there are significantly more multitools to be found, it's that I need lockpicks a lot more. If I didn't upgrade lockping to master asap I would run out in short order. Multitools I only use for occasional keypad, everything else can be disabled with hacking for free, blown up or just avoided.

Speaking of locks, would it be possible to change the way keyring works on only some locks (presumably on those the key exist somewhere) and for other refuses to even try?

A few more minor things as I progress.

The encounter with Jojo in the hotel is buggy. He appears and then just stands around doing nothing. After I got bored and knocked him out the girl says she is leaving, but doesn't. It's like everyone is stuck. Btw, do I remember it wrong or are there a lot more troops coming for the Dentons at this point? There must have been 15-20 UNATCO troopers and a couple of MiBs in there, a real challenge for my no-kill run.

That disposable plasma pistol is weird. It can one-shot Anna, has a significant splash damage, but is just not any good against doors and containers? Not sure what to think about 10mm AP ammo. On one hand it's nice to have a way to take out hard targets as a pistol user, but it is strange how a sidearm is more useful than an assault weapon in this situation. Oh, and I actually like the new gun I found, it's better looking than some vanilla guns. Not sure a gun that fires assault rifle ammo, looks like a carbine or SMG and has a grenade launcher should be under pistol skill, but it is a nice weapon. Sad to hear it's getting cut.

After recovering my equipment I noticed my stun prod lost my upgrades, and I lost all my medkits. Everything else is fine, but I miss the expanded mags I put on that thing. Speaking of weapon mods, could maybe melee weapons get a little love? Most are naturally inappropriate, but maybe a damage mod? My trusty baton would be even better then.

Speed aug is kind of slow now even when fully upgraded, maybe give it a little more juice? The run silent aug really should be a passive aug to compete with it. Invisible War did a lot of things wrong, but that was not one of them. Fully passive, maybe only drain energy when absorbing fall damage, now that would make it worthwhile compared to super speed.

Laser is really good for all weapons as it basically bypasses skills when it comes to accuracy. I put one on my crossbow as soon as I found it (and some range mods as well), and am handing out headshots (instant KO with tranq darts) like candy, even though my skill is untrained. It's crazy good, I only wish I could find one for my pistol as well.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The run silent aug really should be a passive aug to compete with it.
Nah, I don't think that's needed. The energy cost is kinda negligible since running sound only matters when you're close, and with high stealth skill you crouch walk p. fast.

I just popped it to sprint towards someone I'm about to knock out to save time, or when I fell from height.

Latelistener

Arcane
Popularity is a double-edged sword, as it may attract even more people like the ones from Neofag. You could make a trailer to the release of 9.0 with some catchy music and good voice acting, but newcomers probably won't stop bothering you.

Black

Arcane

1*snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

Crossbow is great no matter how you slice it. Tranq darts KO most if not all grunts (and animals, take that fucking greasels, how you like toxins now) even with pistols untrained, with laser sight you can shoot-n-forget. The reason why Ash is nerfing normal darts in 9.0 is probably because with high pistol skill and targeting aug + damage mods you get something like 69 damage. That's a lot of containers opened and the darts that wreck the container don't even disappear :lol:

By the way, is it just me or are the rifle perks... underwhelming?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That's a lot of containers opened and the darts that wreck the container don't even disappear :lol:
Yeah that stuff is great. But darts are much rarer than bullets and I imagine snipers can do way more damage than that so it's balanced.

Would actually be cool to have a perk giving chance to recover darts from enemies, could all be reduced to normal darts for balance.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Another suggestion, can't engineering bots be used to recharge apparel? You can do the same for your BioEnergy, so I don't see why the same can't be done for your camo, vests, etc. Saves precious Biocells when you need them.
Also, after blowing up the generator during the NSF Warehouse mission, they say Gunther is going to come in and clean the place, but all he really does is stand on the rooftops waiting for your ass to come up while the rest of the NSF troops are oblivious to the helicopter and German mech standing topside. Is this intentional, or was Gunther actually meant to do something?

EDIT: Once I returned topside, the remaining NSF soldiers on the first floor did come to Gunther on the rooftops for their sweet release from life, though I thought it should've been Gunther who comes down.
Anyways, what is it with the empty supply crates? I know that not every supply crate will always have something useful, though it's better if there are no empty supply crates at all which waste my time breaking them.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
That's a lot of containers opened and the darts that wreck the container don't even disappear :lol:
Yeah that stuff is great. But darts are much rarer than bullets and I imagine snipers can do way more damage than that so it's balanced.

Would actually be cool to have a perk giving chance to recover darts from enemies, could all be reduced to normal darts for balance.
They can, but sniper rifle ammo is rare (and not reusable) and it takes more space than lil' xbow.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, I'm basically looking everywhere and it's not that there are significantly more multitools to be found, it's that I need lockpicks a lot more. If I didn't upgrade lockping to master asap I would run out in short order. Multitools I only use for occasional keypad, everything else can be disabled with hacking for free, blown up or just avoided.

This. People ignore the use of multitools as a security disabling device out of vanilla habit and only use them for keypads.

There is no "theory" otherwise. I've mentioned repeatedly lockpick & multitool counts are roughly the same throughout the game.

Play hardcore mode. The appeal of using multitools for security systems increases substantially due to things like cameras detecting corpses, and of course the multiplied risk from restrictive saving. In v9.0 I'm looking into yet even more security system upgrades (some again will be exclusive to HC).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom