Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Epsilon

Cipher
Hey Merry Christmas Ash!. GMDX is a wonderful mod. If I was a journo, I'd write about it. But I'm probably too inquisitive to ever be considered for such a position. As it is I've recommended it to a few family members, who played Deus Ex back in the day. And recommended it in other spaces.

Mustawd

Well there you have it. Next to no game press coverage for logical game design advancement the DX series has deserved but had not received 'till now, despite them giving mass coverage to a poorly-designed sellout level design mod just two months ago.
Merry fucking Christmas, enjoy your doritos.

Don't worry Ash/CyberP. We love your mod here on the codex :love:

Mr_Cyberpunk

Novice
Well there you have it. Next to no game press coverage for logical game design advancement the DX series has deserved but had not received 'till now, despite them giving mass coverage to a poorly-designed sellout level design mod just two months ago.
Merry fucking Christmas, enjoy your doritos.

New Vision/HDTP artist here, December is always a bad time for press. ModDB and IndieDBs top 100 contest always results in good mods being shoved off the front page in favor of vote pandering. The key for you is to keep posting updates, ideally when the page gets a bit slower, that will drive up some interest.

Really looking forward to trying this mod out.

Ash

Arcane
This mod had been in rigorous, crunch-like development for three years. Updates had been relatively frequent. I'm done with it because I can no longer do this without adequate support.

December is always a bad time for press. ModDB and IndieDBs top 100 contest always results in good mods being shoved off the front page in favor of vote pandering. The key for you is to keep posting updates, ideally when the page gets a bit slower, that will drive up some interest.

Moddb has been somewhat supportive, handing out a MOTY Editor's choice in 2014 and a MOTY honorable mention in 2015 "Keeps pumping out those updates that makes Deus Ex perfect!". I was talking about the gaming press primarily.

NV/HDTP artist? Thanks for your work, but it is easy for you to say "post updates and they will come". That is objectively true for graphics mods, even not so good ones. Game design advancement in logical style? Nah, that's something only old games used to do, an ancient lost art, let alone something that mods do. We're just here for HD lover's lab.

Declinet est omnia ambientis

Aside from personal growth in various skills, all I've learnt is marketing & sheep-herding is everything, most people will not talk about the incline or spread the word on their own accord. Certainly explains why Looking Glass fell despite being far ahead of the curve, why modern game budgets allocate the majority share to marketing and why game journalists are what they are.
We really need a institution of professional games criticism and coverage, and this Codex shit is far from it despite understanding the game industry has gone down the toilet, yet still the closest we have to anything critical and free from an agenda or bias.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ash, who does the voice in your videos? Sounds very well-spoken, even professional. All the features and polished presentation makes me wanna check Deus Ex out again.

Ash

Arcane
I've been too wrapped up in disappointment and anger that I forgot to give him the proper dues aside from crediting him on the youtube videos themselves, so here you go: http://genericname112.wix.com/gmdx#!contact/c1kcz

I cannot recommend him enough, he kept up with my erratic schedule and organization and indeed produced professional quality narration to get my vision understood. I hope he also gets the recognition he deserves.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm assuming you had to pay this guy because, yes, that definitely seemed like professional-level voice narration. He must get a lot of work, or should at least.

Arch-Vile

Learned
Ash, I've been playing GMDX since v8.0 release date (yes, I chose replaying Deus Ex instead of starting Underrail), and by far I'm greatly enjoying it (recently got to Hong Kong ;)).

I had very high expectations because of what it's seen in the trailers, and yet I'm pleasantly surprised by how much GMDX actually improves the game. The AI overhaul is practically a godsend (seriously, it fixes what I considered the biggest flaw in DX), the stealth is more satisfying and viable than I imagined (improvements in NPC behaviour and sight/sound features work wonders), mantling was a much needed ability which makes exploration and movement a lot more fun and adds much to the sense of freedom (it combines perfectly with the novelties in level design and stamina statistic), skill/perk system improvements are nice (I haven't experimented much with them, but it obviously takes care of several inconsistencies that caused serious balance issues. I'm specially fond of the changes made to the Hacking skill) and every new detail in terms of simulation and atmosphere helps to offer a better "feeling" overall (original Deus Ex was painfully unrealistic despite its innovations, I was so happy to see actual efforts dedicated into such small aspects of the game, like item interaction, sounds, and animations. Simple, yet effective stuff).

Changes in level design made me raise an eyebrow at first, but they've ended up being the second best thing from GMDX in my experience. I'm not someone who usually enjoys replaying his favorite games, but revisiting Hell's Kitchen and Wan Chai with all the new stuff is much more entertaining than I initially thought. I would complain that a bit too many of the rewards for exploring are just a bunch of credit chits, but this is a small issue as most of the new loot is perfectly fine.

There is also the "not so great" aspects, which I'll try to summarize:

- The game crashes a lot, usually when too much is happening at the screen (big gunfires and explosions). I also suffered performance issues, possibly due to New Vision HD textures.
- I'm finding GMDX a bit too easy at Medium difficulty level. I chose that one because I didn't consider myself a "DX veteran", so I would say it's my fault (that, or maybe I was misled by the Installation Guide).
- I noticed some strange noises during conversations, like sound interferences that affected voice acting in an annoying way.
- Text fonts sometimes disappearing or becoming downright unreadable.
- LAMs and Scuba Gears are maybe too scarce. I don't know if it was directly intentioned, but those are the resources I have most trouble finding.
- A lot of the colored boxes are now empty. Is this also intentional? Now that I think about it, it's possible that all the wooden planks and broken pieces don't allow me to see the stuff that's inside the crates.
- I miss an inventory screen for corpse-looting. I don't know why JC has to pick up everything automatically from bodies, and I think a System Shock-like interface would be a good idea (I don't know if it would work in Deus Ex, though).

Can't think of anything aside from that nitpicking.

Finally, I would like to personally thank you for improving an amazing game whose potential almost nobody in the industry seemed to appreciate. I also consider myself an "immersive sim" enthusiast, and it's very nice to see an actual advancement from the best we got in the subgenre (nowadays, people just think of Thief, Deus Ex and SS as walking simulator prototypes, without realising the importance of good non-linear level design, competent mechanics, emergent gameplay, etc). It's a shame that this is getting so little attention, despite being an important step forward in a dead school of design. I wish everyone was making games like Deus Ex again (and that Looking Glass was still around), but sadly I think this is the closest thing we'll ever get from that, so have a big brofist from here. :salute:

Mr_Cyberpunk

Novice
Game design advancement in logical style? Nah, that's something only old games used to do, an ancient lost art, let alone something that mods do.

Erm.. Tell that to Xcom Long War.. just saying they'd been doing that for 2 years, no one gave a shit, suddenly massive hype from Mainstream press.. was really odd to see a turn based game get such interest all of a sudden.

Thanks for your work, but it is easy for you to say "post updates and they will come".
You misinterpreted what I meant by that, my apologies. I was mainly referring to if you post frequent news, you tend to trend better on feeds and particularly on ModDB even if what you're creating is essentially non-news. (not clickbait... that's a whole other level of fucked up).

I agree though Modding ain't what it used to be.

- The game crashes a lot, usually when too much is happening at the screen (big gunfires and explosions). I also suffered performance issues, possibly due to New Vision HD textures.

Try running the game using a different renderer. OpenGL tends to be the most stable with New Vision.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CyberP, it's a 15 year old game. You shouldn't be shocked that your mod is getting less attention than others. You should be shocked that any Deus Ex mods are getting any attention at all.

Ash

Arcane
Echoing words of the past, I'm mostly pissed because with the support every other acclaimed mod receives I would have produced something truly next level, now we'll just have to settle for what it is. It's labelled a masterpiece and the definitive Deus Ex experience by players, and I did that mostly on my own. I never wanted it to be that way, games and big mods are typically made by teams, and there's much that will go unfulfilled.
Also, since I am all about game design to this standard the lack of fucks given paints a picture for the future should I attempt a career in game dev. Few desire one of the greatest games of all time pushed to its potential offered for free, why would they pay for any lesser indie attempt of mine?

Anyhow, thanks for the eventual moral support, Codexers, and I'm glad you recognize its significance.

Ivan

Arcane
Am I tripping balls or was the grate in the water tunnel under the NSF generator your addition?

I invested in the Lung perk to see what was up only to be met with grate, great.

Still loving the mod tho !

Ash

Arcane
Am I tripping balls or was the grate in the water tunnel under the NSF generator your addition?

I invested in the Lung perk to see what was up only to be met with grate, great.

Still loving the mod tho !

Vanilla. Turn the nearby valve to open the grate.
Hmm, traversing the tunnel via the generator basement results in the grate blocking your way with no way to open it, which is a vanilla design flaw I didn't notice 'till now, but if you enter this area from the alleyway outside the warehouse there is the aforementioned valve.

arch-vile said:
- I miss an inventory screen for corpse-looting. I don't know why JC has to pick up everything automatically from bodies, and I think a System Shock-like interface would be a good idea (I don't know if it would work in Deus Ex, though).

While a SS2-like corpse container window would be more logical it slows gameplay pace down. It's nice to be able to walk up to a corpse and right click once to loot or twice to pick up the corpse, yet it is still something that would be nice to have as an option. Most corpses would just have combat knife and gun too which would highlight an unrealistic lack of diversity (but adding a shifter randomized loot system would not be an adequate fix to this).

It is tempting to add the window though, people have been nagging for years. It would just have to be optional.

Most people report the mod is very stable. You must be an outlier.

- I'm finding GMDX a bit too easy at Medium difficulty level. I chose that one because I didn't consider myself a "DX veteran", so I would say it's my fault (that, or maybe I was misled by the Installation Guide).

More my fault. Realistic & hardcore difficulty is the true experience I envisioned, but I've had too many players that do not like to be intellectually engaged in gameplay whining so I decided to overhaul difficulties to cater to all and stress that all players are welcome. It was definitely for the best though as this way the mod is also suitable for newbies and the elderly among us.

Last edited:

Mr_Cyberpunk

Novice
Also, since I am all about game design to this standard the lack of fucks given paints a picture for the future should I attempt a career in game dev. Few desire one of the greatest games of all time pushed to its potential offered for free, why would they pay for any lesser indie attempt of mine?

Shit Son.. You don't even know the half of it. If you found this discouraging imagine what its like when you're employers refuse to pay you and everyone hates you because "your studio produced shit" even though we were never credited for the work we actually did. The thing is though, Deus Ex got me a job in the industry, I turned it into a career, I teach Game Design to young kids for a living now. (I mentioned this to Chris Avellone when I met him too, I have proof.). You don't necessarily have to go down the Indie path as the be all end all. But fortunately this career is supplementing my own dev projects, and I basically get to teach what ultimately I do in that project because its all Unreal engine.

I also wouldn't get disheartened by all the politics in the games industry. I too struggle on a daily basis with reading the bullshit going on atm, But ultimately you can just unplug.

Anyway keep going. You've got a tallent for this and I'm sure a Niche will support you. You've already had 200k views on ModDB, that's a damn good effort, not many mods get to that.

Ash

Arcane
Shit Son.. You don't even know the half of it. If you found this discouraging imagine what its like when you're employers refuse to pay you and everyone hates you because "your studio produced shit" even though we were never credited for the work we actually did.

I also wouldn't get disheartened by all the politics in the games industry. I too struggle on a daily basis with reading the bullshit going on atm, But ultimately you can just unplug.

I was very disheartened reading the first quote. You must have great spirit to persevere despite that cocktail of bullshit. I have read many insider anecdotes along these lines.

I cannot use Deus Ex to get my foot in the door as I've had my reputation stained by the Codex with ridiculous tags and what felt like suppression, which caused me to get angry over the thought of having to start over fresh, which just made things worse. Though I do in-part have myself to blame for being an idiot. So indie or starting over fresh and dissociating myself with my "masterpiece" seems like the only option. There's few studios I'd be happy working for anyway as the many types of games I fell in love with once upon a time aren't made anymore, not in principle.

Arch-Vile

Learned
More my fault. Realistic & hardcore difficulty is the true experience I envisioned, but I've had too many players that do not like to be intellectually engaged in gameplay whining so I decided to overhaul difficulties to cater to all and stress that all players are welcome. It was definitely for the best though as this way the mod is also suitable for newbies and the elderly among us.

Guess I'll have to replay it on a higher difficulty level. Not that I complain about that, though. :M

By the way, I dicovered a "secret exit" of Tonnochi Road which obviously shouldn't be there:

xAnsEE1.png

JjLHwSZ.png

7gjBufZ.png

5Cv8Sxp.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Vanilla. You could always get out this map and many others. Don't know if it was intentional or not, but I found it fascinating when I first stumbled out the map boundaries years ago, back when I was a kid & before I knew how games were made.

Mr_Cyberpunk

Novice
Can someone explain to me what the point is of the Computer skill perks. I've progressed through most of the game and can't activate any of them, but I frankly don't even need them, I'm rolling in credits and can insta hack everything. The HR style hacking system kinda feels redundant by that point as it only suits early game, you're better off saving the inventory slots. The Multi-tool ranged perk seems more useful, a better perk would to apply the same thing to computers, "Wireless Hack" as there are times where I've wanted to hack a computer/security panel but a guard was in the way. The master perk being "more credits" is rather pointless when most of the items you buy in the game are totally optional. Whereas the ability to hack remotely would be worth a lot more especially for Area 51. It'd complement the stealth mechanics better.

I Love all the passive Aug abilities, I think they make the game a lot faster as you're not having to switch Augs on and off.. they also compliment each other rather well. And the whole armor system is how the game should've been anyway, the fact that you can just put on armor and leave it on is a fantastic addition to the game and actually makes these items useful whereas in the past I'd ignore them.

Its definitely made Deus Ex much more refreshing this time having played so much of it in the past, it felt very different this time in a very good way. I can hardly tell that this is a game made in 2001 (till you notice the characters anyway). I'd find it very difficult to go back to Vanilla at this stage lol.

grimace

Arcane
uWnH822.jpg

I'm thoroughly enjoying all of the improvements to Deus Ex in Give Me Deus Ex.

This glitch when I pick up an unconscious body makes me giggle. I lift the body and this rainbow box with words "DO NOT PLACE" appears in place. It disappears when I drop the body again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom