Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
voted!

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Been playing it in the latest days and I'm enjoying it, at least much more than other available overhauls. Hopefully it gains more fame. My biggest grip though is that I think the mod limits the availability of playing styles, ie aggresive, given the lack of ammo and resources in general (and I'm playing stealthy, trying to save ammo!). Perhaps it's because I'm playing it on realistic, but even in the realistic setting of the original Deus Ex, I could choose to be more aggressive even if it was harder, and I cannot imagine to do that in GMDX. Here I'm playing to not be discovered, and yet I'm lacking ammo in all my weapons except for the prod (I'm more of a baton guy).

Lack of resources also bites you in the ass in a stealth gameplay, given the higher requirement of picks and tools that many doors/panels have. It forces you to upgrade those skills to master just for the very convenient third perk, it makes me feel like I have less choice than before in the way I choose to level up my skills. The game promotes specialization and it isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that if you choose to not upgrade tools/picks that much, you're going to miss on a lot of loot and be even more deprived of resources. Forced specialization is not my thing.

Not that it makes the game super impossible, but I find myself save-scumming more often than habitual.

But alas, this reads as a very negative post when my opinion of it is quite positive, GMDX is leagues ahead in comparison with shifter, biomod, or revision. I hope you don't take this in a bad way. We're in the codex after all.

Ash

Arcane
git gud fag or play on a lower difficulty :P

Both styles are very viable. On realistic or hardcore it is very much a thinking man's shooter/sneaker RPG, more so than vanilla so prepare to be tested and have to up your game. Medium difficulty is recommended to non-vets for first playthroughs. Jumping straight into realistic if you haven't played DX a crazy amount of times isn't recommend, it's far from the vanilla premise of realistic being mandatory because of a lack of challenge.
I've tried to communicate this to the player with the prompt that is given when you go to start a new game, and I will probably have to stress it further because the DX fan mindset very much is Realistic = default.

Wait a second, you must be a beta tester, unless you're playing an earlier version? If you are a tester, you're meant to be reporting concerns back to me in private. Never mind, it already is polished to a very high standard and the difficulty as intended so carry on.

Easy = Unskilled Newbie
Medium = Newbie or non-veteran
Realistic = Veteran or challenge seekers.
Hardcore = Hardcore

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
But alas, this reads as a very negative post when my opinion of it is quite positive, GMDX is leagues ahead in comparison with shifter, biomod, or revision. I hope you don't take this in a bad way. We're in the codex after all.
How does it compare to completely patched, fully vanilla DX?

Unwanted

†††

Patron

It's pretty good and keep in mind that many of the strategies that work in vanilla DX won't work here. Lack of resources and more advanced AI change the metagame completely.

git gud fag or play on a lower difficulty :P

Both styles are very viable. On realistic or hardcore it is very much a thinking man's shooter/sneaker RPG, more so than vanilla so prepare to be tested and have to up your game. Medium difficulty is recommended to non-vets for first playthroughs. Jumping straight into realistic if you haven't played DX a crazy amount of times isn't recommend, it's far from the vanilla premise of realistic being mandatory because of a lack of challenge.
I've tried to communicate this to the player with the prompt that is given when you go to start a new game, and I will probably have to stress it further because the DX fan mindset very much is Realistic = default.

Wait a second, you must be a beta tester, unless you're playing an earlier version? If you are a tester, you're meant to be reporting concerns back to me in private. Never mind, it already is polished to a very high standard and the difficulty as intended so carry on.

Easy = Unskilled Newbie
Medium = Newbie or non-veteran
Realistic = Veteran or challenge seekers.
Hardcore = Hardcore

I've reported some bugs two days ago in moddb via PM :P I have a different nickname there though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The best way I found to describe it after playing v7 is that it feels like replaying Deus ex for the first time again.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty good and keep in mind that many of the strategies that work in vanilla DX won't work here. Lack of resources and more advanced AI change the metagame completely.
Can you provide a higher level perspective than that? Say you haven't played DX in since ~2004, Vanilla > GMDX or vice-versa?

edit: Thanks Jaedar

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Aside from the steam-only crap, the finished Revision is p.good imo. They actually removed a lot of the clutter and enemy overload from the beta and it more ore less does what it set out to do: making areas larger, adding to the ambiance, providing some additional stuff to explore, but not altering the actual game much.

Ash

Arcane

I've only removed the strategies that were broken (the old dart in wall trick) via smarter AI, and those that needed attention via system balancing. And remember, lower difficulties do exist. AI are blind, deaf and dumb like vanilla there, among many other things.

Ash

Arcane
AI would not react to subsequent sound events whilst reacting to the first. You could fire a dart into a nearby wall to distract AI nearby, then you could just run past or run right up to them and KO them as they would not react to further sound events for a period of something like 5 fucking seconds. Basically, distracting an enemy with sound (didn't have to be darts fired at walls) made them temporarily deaf.
It was a long time ago I fixed this so I don't remember the exact number of seconds, but DX has a wealth of flaws like this that this mod rectifies.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
There are some enemies that are telepathic (latest areas in the game), which pisses me off. They can be 200 meters away, you can run out of their field of view, apply cloak and still they know your exact location if they saw your hair before. An example is the beginning of Area 51, I got spotted by one of the bots, ran away to the tower, and 4 MJ12 commandos and two men in black (who seem to have the speed augmentation because they're faster than Sonic the Hedgehog) came into my spot right away. Tried to replicate the situation with cloak on, and same consequences.

Ash

Arcane
Combat state. Cloaking doesn't work if the AI is in the combat state, same as vanilla. May not make realistic sense, but it helps make the game not be a cake walk. After all, the ability to invisible is OP as fuck. Don't cloak if the enemy is in combat mode, it simply doesn't work even if you turn a corner first. It's vanilla design and I would change it if I didn't agree with it.

Cloaking aside, all AI in the combat state know exactly where you are at all times, until they exit the state. Again, vanilla design. It's a bit poor but seriously, the game is too easy as is even GMDX + Realistic or hardcore mode.

I may make some tweaks based on this feedback though. Dumb down realistic some more.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Aside from the steam-only crap, the finished Revision is p.good imo. They actually removed a lot of the clutter and enemy overload from the beta and it more ore less does what it set out to do: making areas larger, adding to the ambiance, providing some additional stuff to explore, but not altering the actual game much.

Did you play through it? Is it worth it? (or getting the game on Steam for it)

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Combat state. Cloaking doesn't work if the AI is in the combat state, same as vanilla. May not make realistic sense, but it helps make the game not be a cake walk. After all, the ability to invisible is OP as fuck. Don't cloak if the enemy is in combat mode, it simply doesn't work even if you turn a corner first. It's vanilla design and I would change it if I didn't agree with it.

Cloaking aside, all AI in the combat state know exactly where you are at all times, until they exit the state. Again, vanilla design. It's a bit poor but seriously, the game is too easy as is even GMDX + Realistic or hardcore mode.

I may make some tweaks based on this feedback though. Dumb down realistic some more.

But one enemy alerting all of the enemies in one area, regardless of distance? run away 100 meters, hide and they still know my exact spot? I don't recall that happening in Vanilla. The situation I commented is like if I alerted the first soldier in liberty island and having everyone and his mother coming from me, even those inside the statue building.

To clarify, is like when you get all of the MJ12 after you in Hell's Kitchen before the raid in Smuggler's, where in vanilla DX they act like that, always knowing of your exact position no matter what (and even then, you can cloak your way out). This kind of situations get more habitual and in ways and places that didn't appear (or I never experienced it) in vanilla.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
But one enemy alerting all of the enemies in one area, regardless of distance? run away 100 meters, hide and they still know my exact spot? I don't recall that happening in Vanilla. The situation I commented is like if I alerted the first soldier in liberty island and having everyone and his mother coming from me, even those inside the statue building.

Yeah I know what you mean, have had another report on this. They all come charging out of the hangar. It's a vanilla scripting issue on this map and has been removed. Jock is meant to play a trasmission saying:

JOCK
I saw some soldiers running away from the hangar. Be careful.

But they all come running out early at the slightest inconvenience.

Dev_Anj

Learned

Ash

Arcane
This kind of situations get more habitual and in ways and places that didn't appear (or I never experienced it) in vanilla.

I will look into it. I think I know what you mean. It's a case of combat and stealth AI behavior at odds with each other (common unfortunately). Hopefully I can come to a happy medium before release.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Yeah I did. It was a fun playthrough warming me up for GDMX. It's worth it if you wanna replay Deus Ex with more area/exploration content and a bit of eye-candy. Especially if you've replayed the game many times like me and you know everything by heart. Gameplay-wise it's maybe a bit harder due to some more enemies, but mostly the same. In the beta certain types of playing, like leave everyone unconscious without detection, or ghosting, were very hard to pull out perfectly due to overload of enemy placement, the finished product is much more tame in that regard.

You don't absolutely have to get the game on steam if you already have it. Download the patch from Indiedb and use kentie's launcher. It's explained in the revision codex thread.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

You can play Revision on GoG and retail version (I did it), check thread on the GoG for the instruction.

Revision is worth for reworked maps, GMDX for different gameplay in same maps.

Revision Steam exclusivity is plain retarded. Absolutely nothing excuse it. No logical answer beside money and job for the creators of this shit.
BTW. there is HDTP and New Vision included but I disabled the first one because it crash the game. It's ugly so nothing of value was lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
This kind of situations get more habitual and in ways and places that didn't appear (or I never experienced it) in vanilla.

I will look into it. I think I know what you mean. It's a case of combat and stealth AI behavior at odds with each other (common unfortunately). Hopefully I can come to a happy medium before release.

I keep playing and definitely something's up with the enemy IA in area 51. You know the Sector 3 access door? when I open it, every enemy in the room behind knows my location without seeing me, cloak doesn't matter. I tried to dispose them with my shitty arsenal (I'm playing stealth specialized in pistols and low tech, so it wasn't easy), and following that, those 3 guys in a elevator with same problem, telepathy and aggressiveness without knowing my position.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom