Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ninjerk

Arcane
Voted for men. Good luck

Ash

Arcane
Run into problems so part 7 has been delayed, but the good news is I've finally got an artist. First thing made is a helmet, so now we can shoot helmets off of heads:

Sorry for the low quality. That's part of the problem.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Moddb MOTY awards 2015 voting has begun. Consider voting for GMDX, which can be done via the mod's main page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

Totally don't expect to win out of all the mods out there, especially since few know of the existence of GMDX or recognize its significance, but making it past the first round of voting would raise awareness for the mod considerably.
Why do I feel like I did this last year?

Ash

Arcane
Why do I feel like I did this last year?

Do it again :)

Mod still is an underdog, despite being very progressive whilst also fixing all the flaws of DX's design. These videos mostly show the new fun stuff, but a large portion of the mod is in the fine-tuning of Ion Storm's mistakes and areas they didn't bother to polish because budgets and schedules.
There's two mods that can be voted in this year for the Deus Ex category: GMDX or Revision. It's up to the audience to decide which it shall be, but it would help if the hundreds of thousands of people that know about Revision also knew about GMDX.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Not sure if this was asked already in the last 30 pages but has ash played deus ex: the conspiracy for ps2? I'm curious to know if the gamedata was readily available to anyone with knowledge of the UE1 engine. I know it had an automated circulator aug as well.

Ash

Arcane
The Conspiracy's data is not available to the public, but there's little worthy of extraction anyhow as they dumbed it down to high hell. The cutscenes/FMVs are good and there's some updated animations, but that's about it.

zeitgeist

Magister
Yeah, sadly it would. It'd give people something to bitch about, which I've noticed they LOVE to do, and thus raise awareness considerably, in addition to the "official" endorsement of a corporation that likes to destroy my beloved favorite game series. Not happening. This one is pure art form advancement. Leave all my future projects to be shameful sellouts out of necessity.

Look, if that's absolutely not an option for whatever reasons that exist or you think exist, you'll have to find some alternate way of marketing this. What you need to achieve is, for example, when there's a Deus Ex thread on SA, Penny Arcade, various imageboards, or whatever is popular right now, that starts with a post containing helpful links, and asks everyone to reinstall the game, to have GMDX up there in the mod part of the post.

While I was trying to determine if there's any DX discussion even happening anywhere, I found your AMA on the PC gaming subreddit, which got only around 20 replies. Compared to that, some Revision threads on other gaming subs as well as the DX sub itself had 50-200, which is more, but not that much more that I would say Reddit could be useful as a primary site for marketing purposes.

I'm not sure if you've done any of this already, but another option would be to contact the people on Steam who have top rated Deus Ex reviews, and curators who have DX in their collections, and ask them to try GMDX and mention it (or link to it, I don't know if Steam reviews allow such links, never really looked into it) if they deem it worthy. I also found a GMDX playthrough on Youtube with a rather abysmal viewcount - having a relatively popular youtuber or twitch streamer install GMDX when they're doing a DX playthrough/stream would also be good.

What I'm worried about is that so few people seem to be talking about the game itself at all, or having sites or threads devoted to it. I took it for granted that this was happening in a lot of places but I just wasn't paying attention.

Ash

Arcane
I'll keep all that in mind. Indeed few have took notice. Time is very much an issue though, as I've got a shitload on my plate already. Any help by spreading the word would be greatly appreciated. Starting threads on monocled gaming forums will make all the difference.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, there's lots of those eh?

Alright, let me rephrase: starting threads on any gaming forum except the Codex would be greatly appreciated :P

Zeitgeist said:
Look, if that's absolutely not an option for whatever reasons that exist or you think exist, you'll have to find some alternate way of marketing this.

Steam-exclusive publisher-bound mods set a very bad precedent for modding for a great number of reasons. Yet still, even if I wanted to do it, which I don't, the people have shown in protest that it is a terrible idea and any mod that attempts it will be shot down.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
What I'm worried about is that so few people seem to be talking about the game itself at all, or having sites or threads devoted to it. I took it for granted that this was happening in a lot of places but I just wasn't paying attention.

Well part of the problem is that Deus Ex is a 15 year old game, so there's isn't that much to discuss which would be interesting for today's players. Revision, for all the hype and hoopla, also had a dramatic reduction of people talking about it within a week. I would say the biggest problem with the marketing of this mod is that Ash started taking its marketing seriously only recently. That combined with the general impression the mod gave to many people as something aimed only at hardcore Deus Ex fans affected its popularity. Revision gained popularity at the same time the demands for a Deus Ex remake started rising, which was in 2013-14 I guess. It's only natural that it got a lot of hype compared to GMDX.

But don't worry, 4000+ views on the first Youtube video is nothing to sneeze at, it shows that your efforts are having some effect. Getting someone to post about your mod on popular websites like Something Awful and Penny Arcade would be good, and if game news websites report about his mod's release I bet it will get a lot of popularity now.

Cassar

Savant
Yeah, sadly it would. It'd give people something to bitch about, which I've noticed they LOVE to do, and thus raise awareness considerably, in addition to the "official" endorsement of a corporation that likes to destroy my beloved favorite game series. Not happening. This one is pure art form advancement. Leave all my future projects to be shameful sellouts out of necessity.

Well, peeps don't know what all this deus ex mumbo jumbo is. I mean, Deus Ex started with Human Revolution back in 2011, right? Witcher series started with Witcher 3. Fallout started with Fallout 3. COD started with MW1. Thief with the one from last year. Elder Scrools started with Skyrim, no? But if you're really old school, you might remember about Oblivion, from the dark ages.

It's a consolised world, who's gonna talk about a game changer that is "confined" to the PC? Thats vile. Does it work with pads? Does it have an awesome button?

Ash

Arcane
Part 7: Audio Design & User Interface:

Let me stress that what you see in these videos is only a fraction of the full mod. Compare the "Part 1: Artificial Intelligence" video to the full AI list that was released early for example, then apply that difference for each category. The only reason I've began merging categories in videos is because a video to focus exclusively on audio design for example wouldn't be very exciting.

Arch-Vile

Learned
You got me with the Thief allusion when speaking of audio design. :salute:

By the way, I've opened threads about this glorious mod in two spanish video game communities I usually visit (Meristation and 33bits) in order to spread the word. Nobody there had never heard of it, and most folks were genuinely surprised by your ambition.

Keep up the good work.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey Ash, since you now have an artist how about making an actual hand that holds stuff like flares and other objects instead of having them float magically on air?

Ash

Arcane
Hey Ash, since you now have an artist how about making an actual hand that holds stuff like flares and other objects instead of having them float magically on air?

This is an absolute priority.

You got me with the Thief allusion when speaking of audio design. :salute:

By the way, I've opened threads about this glorious mod in two spanish video game communities I usually visit (Meristation and 33bits) in order to spread the word. Nobody there had never heard of it, and most folks were genuinely surprised by your ambition.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks bro.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
pre-emptive brolapse

have you considered getting in contact with stream communities with more traditional crowds like GOG? They're out there and they tend to flock to whats new

Ash

Arcane
Abhay already posted about it on GOG.

Look, I'm making all these videos to get my vision out there in an accessible format. I did that reddit AMA. I've written to game journos. I've spammed the forums I know will be interested. That's more than most mods do. Usually, unless I'm mistaken, the audience take such a base effort and continue the promotion willingly via the desire to talk about what they've seen. That hasn't happened with GMDX. I've somewhat accepted it. Looking Glass were niche anyway, few recognized their significance, so it is only fitting that works in their honor are the same.

Ash

Arcane
Concept: money still needs more value despite GMDX's efforts. New shops in some form or another are what I have in mind. Can anyone think of a way to make the purchase of items fit into the game nicely? I'm thinking the arms dealer method in 2027 is the only viable option as no JCD voice actor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom