Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I assume MJ12 elites use thermoptic camos in lore.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
with only level 1 combat aug...

Are you aware the benefits of this aug? It is quite the buff when upgraded: increased melee attack speed, melee damage, and faster weapon swap speed.
Even if you do not plan to use melee it is still good for the weapon swap speed. Any melee weapon is exceptionally awesome with it too.

Regular MJ12 troops using cloak is maybe a bit of an overkill (I'm guessing they're not augmented but rather using cloak devices similar to young Tracer Tong in HR so it doesn't exactly conflict with game lore)

Yes, we assume they use thermoptic camo. Of course, you never actually find thermoptic camo loot on their bodies because balance, and that is how it should be.

but it does make the encounters with them more challenging in an interesting way, I was taken by surprise the first time I raided Maggie's apartment. Haven't found a way to mess up with their cloak aside from Spy Drone and EMP grenades yet, maybe Vision aug from Versa Life?

Correct. EMP grenades, spy drone, vision aug & the tech goggles (at advanced & master level environmental training skill). Targeting aug also reveals their location when aiming at them (although your crosshairs already turn red, but targeting makes it more obvious). Listening for their footsteps helps in some situations also. They also bleed out, which can be seen also. Follow the blood trail!

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Are you aware the benefits of this aug? It is quite the buff when upgraded: increased melee attack speed, melee damage, and faster weapon swap speed.
Even if you do not plan to use melee it is still good for the weapon swap speed. Any melee weapon is exceptionally awesome with it too.

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on doing a melee run eventually so I will try out maxed Combat Strength (and master Low-Tech), seems quite a bit more powerful than in vanilla DX. I'm guessing I won't be able to destroy cameras and turrets with DTS for balance reasons though?

Correct. EMP grenades, spy drone, vision aug & the tech goggles (at advanced & master level environmental training skill). Targeting aug also reveals their location when aiming at them (although your crosshairs already turn red, but targeting makes it more obvious). Listening for their footsteps helps in some situations also. They also bleed out, which can be seen also. Follow the blood trail!

Speaking of Targeting, did you take out the hidden damage bonus to projectile weapons from vanilla DX? I'm at the point where I must decide between it and Vision so it would helpful if I fully knew what I'm getting.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You can still destroy turrets and cameras once you have mastered both combat strength and low-tech skill. It was a difficult decision and I'm still not 100% confident in it to be honest.

Damage bonus is still there. I should update the aug's description to mention it.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I've expanded the physics further to have objects bumping other objects apply dampened force. That is as far as I can take it, unfortunately. This is pre-Havok physics and Unreal Engine 1 just wont allow it.
I'll consider having it a toggle-able option also.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've expanded the physics further to have objects bumping other objects apply dampened force. That is as far as I can take it, unfortunately. This is pre-Havok physics and Unreal Engine 1 just wont allow it.
I'll consider having it a toggle-able option also.
Does this mean that pool tables work now? :M

Also, master lowtech+damage and DTS being able to take out turrets and cameras seems fine. You'd need the jumping aug to reach most of them too. For that much investment, there should be something special.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Finished liberating streets of Paris from MJ12 scum, policemen and bots, felt good. Like what you've done with the club there, not just visual improvements but making bouncers be trigger happy as well which by all accounts (that dancing girl upstairs saying they shot her boyfriend, female bartender telling you that you'll get shot if you make trouble etc.) they should have been in the original DX as well instead of acting like they're stoned or something (you could massacre the whole club before they reacted). It feels like a dangerous place with a rough clientele now.

Some thoughts on the content before Paris:

-Cemetery ambush is much more tense and fun now (thanks to inclusion of MJ12 elites and overall much improved AI and reaction time), MJ12 troopers blowing up the mausoleum door if they hear you inside is a nice touch. Not sure if I'd keep that door locked, Dowd is supposed to meet JC there afterall, does he expect him to find the secret entrance by default?

-Last trip to Hell Kitchen could use some spicing up, mixing up the attack on JC and Dowd with some MJ12 elites and maybe even a MiB or two would go a long way to making it feel like a "I should get the hell out of here" situation, or atleast make the regular MJ12 troopers spread around when approaching instead of going in one behind the other like dominos waiting to receive their headshot. Even after all these years of playing Deus EX I stil have no idea why taking out patrolling street policemen there spawns UNATCO troopers, I'd just cut that out entirely cause it makes no fucking sense. Also, I didn't encounter that street thug (never was sure what his deal was either, is he a hired assassin or something?) that attacks Dowd eventually, maybe he's still there but I just missed him.

-I see you've done some improvements to the Naval Shipyard/Tanker level as well but I still found it somewhat boring, it has always been my least favourite DX level by far though I can't put my finger on exactly why (I love all the other levels, including those often maligned like Liberty Island).

-Regarding MJ12 elite troopers, while I feel their inclusion adds a lot to the game I would prefer if they had the same durability as regular troopers (or vice versa) or if you gave them a distinct look somehow to differentiate between the two types more easily, I often wasted an additional shot against a regular trooper because I was used to needing two headshots to bring them down.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
-Last trip to Hell Kitchen could use some spicing up, mixing up the attack on JC and Dowd with some MJ12 elites and maybe even a MiB or two would go a long way to making it feel like a "I should get the hell out of here" situation, or atleast make the regular MJ12 troopers spread around when approaching instead of going in one behind the other like dominos waiting to receive their headshot. Even after all these years of playing Deus EX I stil have no idea why taking out patrolling street policemen there spawns UNATCO troopers, I'd just cut that out entirely cause it makes no fucking sense.

Yeah I should Improve all that scripting.

-I see you've done some improvements to the Naval Shipyard/Tanker level as well but I still found it somewhat boring, it has always been my least favourite DX level by far though I can't put my finger on exactly why (I love all the other levels, including those often maligned like Liberty Island).

Those are my least favorite levels too, though I still enjoy them.

-Regarding MJ12 elite troopers, while I feel their inclusion adds a lot to the game I would prefer if they had the same durability as regular troopers (or vice versa) or if you gave them a distinct look somehow to differentiate between the two types more easily, I often wasted an additional shot against a regular trooper because I was used to needing two headshots to bring them down.

They do have a unique look: face masks and a red visor, although you can only see that from the front. They need the durability to be a challenge to your ever increasing power.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Wasn't Gunther supposed to be using a speed aug? Maybe my version is glitched. He also seems to be less durable than a regular MiB while IMO he should have more health/protection than any other humanoid character in the game (even Simons), the guy's almost a full machine.

They do have a unique look: face masks and a red visor, although you can only see that from the front. They need the durability to be a challenge to your ever increasing power.

Hm, didn't notice, will pay a closer attention next time I face them. By now it seems regular MJ12 troops take two headshots as well so it doesn't really matter as long as I'm not wasting ammo.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Just looked at Gunther. He had modified speed via the maps which overrides the change I made via code. Just upped his speed.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
-Last trip to Hell Kitchen could use some spicing up, mixing up the attack on JC and Dowd with some MJ12 elites and maybe even a MiB or two would go a long way to making it feel like a "I should get the hell out of here" situation, or atleast make the regular MJ12 troopers spread around when approaching instead of going in one behind the other like dominos waiting to receive their headshot.

Can I ask where you were hiding to get them in a choke point?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Can I ask where you were hiding to get them in a choke point?

I kill the two that spawn near the Ton hotel and from that corner pick them off from a distance as they arrive from both sides (Battery Park and near subway station). Problem is that they walk in pairs one behind the other in a flat line so it's too easy to line up headshots, they don't start moving around until they get close but by that time they're dead.

It would still be best if you add some MJ12 elites and MiBs there as well, JC is their most wanted at the time, I doubt they'd just send regular troops after him.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Really like the changes you made to crew quarters in area 51 and the area in general.

I found a bug though: upgrading the bot invisiblity (radio transperancy?) removes its ability to not trigger laser beams. Unless this is a feature of the missile base and area 51 to make them harder.

There's a LOT of radioactive zones lategame that are basically instantly lethal without the aug. I assume this is to prevent other people from getting the goodies, but I wonder if maybe it isn't too letha.

And a suggestion for v7.1: Carrying boxes and running with guns drawn should drain fatigue, and if you run out you are forced to drop/sheathe.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
There's a forcefield preventing me from getting into the room with Page, is that a bug?

Really like the changes you made to crew quarters in area 51 and the area in general.

I found a bug though: upgrading the bot invisiblity (radio transperancy?) removes its ability to not trigger laser beams. Unless this is a feature of the missile base and area 51 to make them harder.

Spy Drone doesn't disable them either and yeah, he did some great work on Area 51, feels like it's the level that got updated/modded the most.

There's a LOT of radioactive zones lategame that are basically instantly lethal without the aug. I assume this is to prevent other people from getting the goodies, but I wonder if maybe it isn't too letha.

But that's the thing, it's endgame, it should have rewards specific to maxing out certain skills/augs at that point IMO.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
True true about maxing environmental protection. After fighting the aliens in area51, I would almost consider it a must have. I didn't have it and the only way for me to fight them was basically with rockets, everything else did too little damage.

I finished the game.

The mod is very good, certainly more interesting to play through than shifter(although the two are basically opposite).

I like the differences between lategame troops. Elites can turn invisible, but are fairly weak and easily exploded/flamed/headshot if you figure out where they are. Commandos fire rockets and bullets with startling speed, but are slow and big targets, and their only real protection besides a decent health pool is resistance to fire and plasma. And then there are mibs who, by the end of the game, are basically immune to plasma, fire and bullets and move insanely fast. Only decent way I found to deal with them was actually stun, since two riot prod shocks are still enough.

It would be cool if commandoes were immune to gas and electricity(ie stuns) though(they might be, I haven't checked, but they should be since they're in full suits).
There's a forcefield preventing me from getting into the room with Page, is that a bug?
If you look around you should see the power conduit keeping the forcefield up. Shoot it.

Some final thoughts on (heavy) weapons:
The flamer is great the entire game. Very ammo scarce at first, but less so towards the end, and flames are always a very good tool against regular troops and transgenics. Rocket launcher is still a tool of mass destruction of course, but I found myself almost never using WP rockets, probably because I typically flamered instead. The plasma gun is strong, but it isn't actually that effective against commandos and mibs, although its ability to ruin spiderbots is very nice.

I often found myself wishing I had specced in rifles instead as I expect that using the sniper to shoot people in the head would make short work of both commandos and mibs. After they got upgraded with proper energy shields and plasma became useless, I had a VERY hard time with mibs, which I expect would not have been the case with a good rifle/shotgun.

Pistols are SUPER useful earlygame, but fall off lategame. Not much to be done about that, although the AP ammo does help when dealing with mechs and armored enemies. Not sure anything should be done either.

:5/5:, will play again.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
True true about maxing environmental protection. After fighting the aliens in area51, I would almost consider it a must have. I didn't have it and the only way for me to fight them was basically with rockets, everything else did too little damage.

You can use crossbow on them, takes two tranq darts to take one down in this mod though as they've been beefed up. I usually upgraded environmental resistance in vanilla DX as well, useful against a lot of things (enemy tranq darts, greasel spit, radiation and aliens obviously), especially if you play without regeneration aug (I usually do as I like Energy Shield and I find Regeneration to be overpowered to such a degree that it trivializes a lot of the other augs and skills).

If you look around you should see the power conduit keeping the forcefield up. Shoot it.

I destroyed the control panel opposite of it but the forcefield didn't go down, kinda sucks. Can't use the console to noclip through either.

I often found myself wishing I had specced in rifles instead as I expect that using the sniper to shoot people in the head would make short work of both commandos and mibs. After they got upgraded with proper energy shields and plasma became useless, I had a VERY hard time with mibs, which I expect would not have been the case with a good rifle/shotgun.

Pistols are SUPER useful earlygame, but fall off lategame. Not much to be done about that, although the AP ammo does help when dealing with mechs and armored enemies. Not sure anything should be done either.

:5/5:, will play again.

Rifles were always the most powerful in DX, I'd be surprised if this isn't the case here as well. That said, I reached the near-end of game using mostly glock and crossbow and I wouldn't say pistols fall off exactly. I mean, they're useless against bots (AP ammo doesn't change things much from what I've seen either) but other than that they kick ass, especially with the addition of taser darts which wreck even those new MiBs on steroids (one zap followed by one glock headshot and they're dead). Pistol skill now even includes machine pistol which uses assault rifle rounds which is useful if you're low on 10mm and darts, didn't use it much this playthrough though.

Commandos are bit of an ammo drain as they require 3 headshots but that is easily done with ROF upgrades and in a pinch you can just activate ballistic aug and go whack them in the face with Dragon Tooth.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
More incline is on the way, gentlemen. Some big surprises in store.

I destroyed the control panel opposite of it but the forcefield didn't go down, kinda sucks. Can't use the console to noclip through either.

Not the control panel. Follow the blue line on the floor.
...Perhaps it is glitched?

As for pistols/rifles/heavies: all should be viable, though heavy and rifles overall better than pistols primarily due to their inventory size. Pistols can certainly hold their own though. Glad to hear weapon talk as I have put a fair bit of effort into making them good; camera effects, audio design, fixing quirks(and there was many), balancing, attempting to make each very unique.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

It's not opposite. If you look down at the ground there's a blue strip going from the forcefield to a wall on the right. And on that wall is a green spinny thing. Destroy it. Worked perfectly for me.

Also, machine pistol? I never found that :(. I noticed there was a new pistol, and found a modded sniper rifle but I didn't have room. And the new assault rifle, which I have no idea how one could miss.

So CyberP, how about letting PS20's stack in inventory like vests and such?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"I had a VERY hard time with mibs"

Yeah the heavy weapons are not too great vs the mibs. Flamethrower and WP are mostly ineffective (does deal damage but doesn't set them on fire, otherwise it would be cheese), plasma is good but they are hard to hit with projectile weapons, only Gep rockets are truly reliable. Perhaps I should make them set on fire after a certain amount of flame damage, because even pistols class are probably better against them overall.

"So CyberP, how about letting PS20's stack in inventory like vests and such?"

If I can figure out the code. Each new feature I want to implement is like a puzzle. A fucking hardcore one.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"The mod is very good, certainly more interesting to play through than shifter(although the two are basically opposite)"

Although they are the opposite in principle, GMDX is twice as big, probably more so. Shifter doesn't touch audio & level design as one example, just code, and in terms of code alone GMDX is probably twice a big.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"I found a bug though: upgrading the bot invisiblity (radio transperancy?) removes its ability to not trigger laser beams. Unless this is a feature of the missile base and area 51 to make them harder."

I'll look into it.

"There's a LOT of radioactive zones lategame that are basically instantly lethal without the aug. I assume this is to prevent other people from getting the goodies, but I wonder if maybe it isn't too letha."

A requirement to make environmental resistance & environmental training truly worthwhile.

"And a suggestion for v7.1: Carrying boxes and running with guns drawn should drain fatigue, and if you run out you are forced to drop/sheathe."

Sounds a bit troll-like, forcing the player to sheathe weapon? Do suggest whatever other ideas you may have though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I mean, if you want fatigue to matter. Currently it only seems to make you drown faster while fighting in melee. Maybe I'm missing some stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom