Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
CyberP What's the difference between difficulty levels in your mod? Is it only enemies doing more damage like the original?.

Yes, except Hardcore has a bunch of additional rules in addition to the saving:

-Disables weapon auto reloading.
-Disables console commands/cheats.
-Ammo is slightly more scarce in hardcore mode.
-AI is more intelligent in hardcore mode. (they notice if cameras are beeping at you and hunt in the direction the cam is facing, they have better vision, hearing, reaction times, accuracy, reload speed etc).

"(There's very little genuine C&C in DX)"

The C&C is exceptionally strong in gameplay choices though.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The C&C is exceptionally strong in gameplay choices though.

And NPC's often reacting to said choices tops it off, such as knocking a guy out when it is requested you kill him.

"You deaf? I said I wanted home boy dead".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You should make lower difficulties reduce camera & guards perception, otherwise a stealth approach on Easy is as difficult as on Hard.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Can you quicksave/load in every mode? I remember not being able to do that when I tried the mod, but I don't remember if it was opt-in or not.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You should make lower difficulties reduce camera & guards perception, otherwise a stealth approach on Easy is as difficult as on Hard.

I know, it is exactly how it works vanilla in that regard and I didn't care to change it, but with the new behavior introduced it may be wise to do so.

Jaedar said:
Can you quicksave/load in every mode? I remember not being able to do that when I tried the mod, but I don't remember if it was opt-in or not.

Every mode except hardcore. I wouldn't dare make it forced. The pampered crybabies would show en masse...plus simply having more options in how you want to play the game is a good thing anyway.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"I know, it is exactly how it works vanilla in that regard and I didn't care to change it, but with the new behavior introduced it may be wise to do so."

I still do not particularly care for it as I prioritize a Hardcore experience over a casual one in a time when everything is casual, but for the sake of professionalism and perfectionism I will have to do it. It would be wise to consider stealth players that are new to Deus Ex.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Stealth players who pick up DX are not likely to be new or casual.

I am considering restarting on hardcore but have a few questions. Is the circle of perception larger on hardcore or is it a matter of sensitivity or facing? In situations where there simply is no cover to take like in large outdoor areas, the player should not be able to go undetected at a fairly long distances. I would then expect that in daylight conditions or under light at nighttime, and guard with an unobstructed view should spot me even if 200 meters away. Consequently I would expect that for players who prefer stealth, there will be situations where stealth is not a viable option.

Can you comment on how that is working on hardcore? Is the perception a cone?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There are a lot of factors to AI spotting you: distance, reaction times, light levels, player movement, FOV etc. On Hardcore mode AI base reaction time to spotting the player is quicker and vision is more sensitive. Overall not a huge change as many other factors to being spotted remain the same, and had to, such as FOV which is already at realistic levels, or at least horizontal FOV is anyway. Vertical FOV I should have perhaps increased as it is only 90 degrees.
The most noticeable AI buff on hardcore would be the AI noticing cameras beeping if nearby.
Overall there's not a whole lot of extra AI intelligence on hardcore but restarting the game on this mode may be worth it, all things considered, if you are looking for a thrilling challenge.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"vision is more sensitive."

And to be clear, by sensitive I mean the maximum vision range remains the same, but they are more likely to spot you in low-light conditions (in completely darkness you are still almost invisible though unless they are on top of you), and also due the the faster reaction times they take less time to confirm you to be a threat.

Mustawd

Thanks man. Think I'll go home now and do a fresh install.

So I downloaded both and installed HDTP first. Problem is that my rig is pretty ghetto fabulous at the moment (laptop screen cracked, haven't replaced it, and am using a portable USB screen), and the game runs but all I see is black with a big white square. The broken laptop screen looks great...except for all the broken parts :?

Tried messing around with the resolution, but seems to be an issue with the portable screen itself. I've had similar issues with other games. Also, Vanilla runs fine, which makes it even worse that I can't play the eye-candy version.

TL;DR, does your mod need HDTP installed to run? My PC can't run it right now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

So I downloaded both and installed HDTP first. Problem is that my rig is pretty ghetto fabulous at the moment (laptop screen cracked, haven't replaced it, and am using a portable USB screen), and the game runs but all I see is black with a big white square. The broken laptop screen looks great...except for all the broken parts :?

Tried messing around with the resolution, but seems to be an issue with the portable screen itself. I've had similar issues with other games. Also, Vanilla runs fine, which makes it even worse that I can't play the eye-candy version.

All players should follow the installation guide: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/tutorials/gmdx-v6-installation-guide

It gets you ready for a patch if need be, Kenties Launcher, DX10/DX9 renderers, New Vision, HDTP and GMDX. It is not too long of a process either.

Mustawd

EDIT: I meant to say I installed New Vision

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yeah HDTP is a requirement. Try using the OpenGL renderer if you cannot run dx9/10, which I am assuming where the problem stems.

Mustawd

Yeah HDTP is a requirement. Try using the OpenGL renderer if you cannot run dx9/10, which I am assuming where the problem stems.

Thanks, will probably try that. Sorry, can't into PCs as much as I'd like.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I played through libery island in a fairly fast and furious manner(not on hardcore cause I like quicksaving too much). Here are some impressions and such:

AI is way more perceptive now, especially of gunfire. In some ways I really like it, opening fire is now an easy way to get yourself ambushed from behind or the sides if you start a firefight in an open place. But in some ways the enemy is too perceptive and its easy to wind up clearing half the map in a single firefight. It also lead to some weird behaviour where the 5 nsf closest to unatco base immediately stormed it(or rather, one saw them, attacked, and the others were attracted by noise), leading to their deffs without me having to do anything. Still, it made me use the pepperspray to some effect for the first time ever later in the level.

An nsf dude shot a ps20 at me(ouch), which also ignited a nearby flare on the ground. Es cool(this might have been in vanilla?).

I liked the map additions to the area around unatco hq. And the camera effects for when you squeeze close to a wall and fight in melee are neat too.

EDIT: also, how do I into mantling?

EDIT2: I did some more playing around and there are def issues with the hearing system. A rocket explosion causes less noise than a gunshot!

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Nope, the flare lighting is new behavior. Before pickups were essentially static until you picked them up, but now you can do a few things with them.

Liberty Island is the toughest map to handle in the game as a designer. There's a reason it put many newcomers to Deus Ex off. I hate working with it, while all the other maps, big or small, are a joy.
Your impressions will improve as you progress.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Nope, the flare lighting is new behavior. Before pickups were essentially static until you picked them up, but now you can do a few things with them.

Liberty Island is the toughest map to handle in the game as a designer. There's a reason it put many newcomers to Deus Ex off. I hate working with it, while all the other maps, big or small, are a joy.
Your impressions will improve as you progress.
I wish to report a bug. Flares get used even when you drop them :M

There was one other thing I was going to complain about.... But I forget, so instead I'll just mention that heavy weapons mastery is really cool. Being able to clip upgrade the rocket launcher is pretty weird though, gives you 2 shots per reload for just one mod.

Oh yeah. Not being able to do anything to turrets even if you know the password is not very cool. If you could at least let us disable them, and then have a skill requirement for turning them against your enemies. If that is possible anyway.

What do I need to do to get the homing effect back on the rocket launcher? I like the incessant beeping.

Also, the laser effect of the commercial security bot is nice. Lets you know you're going to be dead in 3 seconds. New PS20 is cool, I just wish it was possible to have more than one of them in the inventory.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There was one other thing I was going to complain about.... But I forget, so instead I'll just mention that heavy weapons mastery is really cool. Being able to clip upgrade the rocket launcher is pretty weird though, gives you 2 shots per reload for just one mod.

What is weird about that?

Oh yeah. Not being able to do anything to turrets even if you know the password is not very cool. If you could at least let us disable them, and then have a skill requirement for turning them against your enemies. If that is possible anyway.

? If you know the password and the computer network is connected to a turret you can disable it. If hacking is advanced and the computer network is connected to the turret you can disable it.

What do I need to do to get the homing effect back on the rocket launcher? I like the incessant beeping.

No nooby lock-on for you. Instead it is replaced by Half-Life-style laser guidance with the laser mod, and Invisible War-style remote control of rockets with the scope mod.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

What is weird about that?
It's kinda weird to round 1.1 to 2 you know?

? If you know the password and the computer network is connected to a turret you can disable it. If hacking is advanced and the computer network is connected to the turret you can disable it.
So then you just removed the two turrets in liberty statue foundation from the network(which means they have no network?)? Because I can't control them with any of the NSF001 terminals.

No nooby lock-on for you. Instead it is replaced by Half-Life-style laser guidance with the laser mod, and Invisible War-style remote control of rockets with the scope mod.
That is cooler :)

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It's kinda weird to round 1.1 to 2 you know?

Where are you getting the .1 from?

So then you just removed the two turrets in liberty statue foundation from the network(which means they have no network?)? Because I can't control them with any of the NSF001 terminals.

The one at the top of the stairs, yes. The others remain. This is fine as not all turrets have a terminal vanilla. But for the sake of consistency with that map what I'll do is connect it to the network outside Gunther's cell and thus maintain sim design and the extra challenge of it not being easily disabled from the one out the front. What I mean by consistency with that map is it seems the devs wanted turrets to always be connected, but gave up on that idea later. You'll notice many turrets of the same type later in the game with no network, or at least no network that we can access anyway.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Oh right, because mods are meant to give +10% of X each. Got ya. What do you want me to do about it? Remove the functionality? The weapon info is terribly inaccurate anyway.
I don't feel like trading cool gameplay depth just for the sake of "all mods are meant to rather illogically give exactly +10% of X".

Also, done the turret. Keep the reports coming.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
EDIT: also, how do I into mantling?

Similar to how it works in Thief & System Shock 2: press jump again whist airborne. It is only slightly different because the feature had to be hacked in; I have no control over input types (onHold specifically) unless I force the player to fuck around with bindings, which is very bad.

EDIT2: I did some more playing around and there are def issues with the hearing system. A rocket explosion causes less noise than a gunshot!

I don't see how that is possible. The AISendEvent of explosions is blast radius * 30. So a GEP rocket alerts AI over 5760 unreal units away. That's pretty darn far.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"So a GEP rocket alerts AI over 5760 unreal units away."

*up to

It is probably more than that also. I was going off of the GEP having a blast radius of 192, but I think I changed it to 224.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
If you are sure it deserves attention then give the word and I'll have a look. You are the first of many players to make such a claim though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom