Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
CyberP I appreciate your dedication and hard work and I want to thank you for this mod. But I still think you're a douchebag.

Unlike the immense majority of people here, he earned the right to be one.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those new tags eh. I guess a moderator was really bored.

Would the guilty party please remove them since it makes the all of CyberP's posts really annoying to read? kthx.
You may just adblock them if you wish.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Glad that those websites are reporting it, but I get the feeling that neither of them actually tried the mod. :/

Maybe they will write a review each in due time, though I'm not sure if reviews of mods is a common thing for the gaming press.

Plus they probably felt confident they wouldn't need to do some quality assurance as the mod won a moddb MOTY award, has consistently high-praising reviews etc.
I know that's beside the point but today I do not give a fuck about quality journalism as the gaming press are finally taking notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I'd like that.

This mod is perfect for the elitist old school gamer. No doubt you'll find something to bitch about but overall I'm not worried :obviously:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm gonna start up this game again.
What changes to weapons were made? Graphically I mean.
I see on your website a fully modded assault rifle. Was this done in the game or an example of what you would have liked to do?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It is the HDTP model. GMDX was built on top of HDTP for compatibility. I've not done much for the models/skins themselves, (The Dragon's tooth sword looks extra awesome after some changes though) but everything around them: audio design, simulated effects, stats, tweaked animations, depth & polish of systems...

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
HDTP is excellent, just disable the character models from the in-game options as the work on them is incomplete and some of those specific models are not so good.
Also by disabling them you get the work I've done on the character models of NSF, UNATCO & MJ12, which would otherwise be overridden by the HDTP models.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
In the first step of making GMDX more open I have now opened the downloads section up for the community to contribute with add-ons for GMDX. With this decision you the community can expand upon a mod that expanded upon a mod that expanded upon a game!
Add your own fan missions that use GMDX's expanded systems, new weapons, graphics tweaks, mutators and so on.
The first add-on is a music add-on. Check it out!

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I have played some with GMDX on hard. Nice work I am finding enemies are reacting in better ways and I certainly appreciate the world interaction to use items on the floor.

I thought I had found a bug with your AI changes when I was killing a guard on the bridge under the statue of liberty. The body clipped slightly through the solid railing on the bridge when he fell dead, causing a guard in the distance to run for the alarm. As it turns out there is a camera nearby that may be picking up the death of the guard somehow. If that is the case, would that cause a guard some 20-30M away to run for the alarm?

Cool effect running for the alarm on dead bodies BTW.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"As it turns out there is a camera nearby that may be picking up the death of the guard somehow."

Yes cameras spot corpses too. Be weary of that. That was an early feature of the mod and in combination with the latest AI improvements may be a little overkill. If I return to the mod I think I'll create a new type of camera exclusive to high security areas and have this new type detect bodies too and set the vanilla cameras back to spotting alive threats only.

*realizes his tea has gone cold :argh:*

"As it turns out there is a camera nearby that may be picking up the death of the guard somehow. If that is the case, would that cause a guard some 20-30M away to run for the alarm?"

It appears this new alarm-triggering code has exposed/made obvious a flaw in the vanilla code: it only checked if nearby alarm units were already sounding an alarm, not alarms sounded by cameras (or red lasers). A flaw that would have been hard to spot vanilla as AI rarely went for alarms (they only went for alarms if health was less than a certain value and various other conditions were met). Perhaps I'll fix it, but more alarms sounding is always a good thing as each individual alarm does have limited range, so I'm not sure if I should bother.

Mustawd

Haven't played Deus Ex in a looong time. Should I go vanilla first to see a difference with the mod? Or is it different/better enough that I'll notice right away?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The mod does a lot so you'll definitely notice many changes, yet it does change a hell of a lot of the little details too, and you'll probably not recognize many improvements without a memory refresher of vanilla.
A "looong time" implies many years, so pre-New Vision and HDTP too. You should definitely grab GMDX and follow the installation guide which will get you those mods too.
Just play on easy/normal, unless you are a challenge seeker.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
DX really is a great game. In the first two missions alone there are more impressive design touches and C&C (ranging from subtle to striking) than you get in whole AAA games nowadays. My comrades, people in the wild, terrorists, cops, kids on the street, everyone in the office is reacting to decisions I am making. Fantastic.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
"As it turns out there is a camera nearby that may be picking up the death of the guard somehow."

Yes cameras spot corpses too. Be weary of that. That was an early feature of the mod and in combination with the latest AI improvements may be a little overkill. If I return to the mod I think I'll create a new type of camera exclusive to high security areas and have this new type detect bodies too and set the vanilla cameras back to spotting alive threats only.

*realizes his tea has gone cold :argh:*

"As it turns out there is a camera nearby that may be picking up the death of the guard somehow. If that is the case, would that cause a guard some 20-30M away to run for the alarm?"

It appears this new alarm-triggering code has exposed/made obvious a flaw in the vanilla code: it only checked if nearby alarm units were already sounding an alarm, not alarms sounded by cameras (or red lasers). A flaw that would have been hard to spot vanilla as AI rarely went for alarms (they only went for alarms if health was less than a certain value and various other conditions were met). Perhaps I'll fix it, but more alarms sounding is always a good thing as each individual alarm does have limited range, so I'm not sure if I should bother.

Nah it's fine since the camera alarm is sounding and I would consider the guard within earshot. I just wasn't sure if the camera or the guard tripped the general alarm. I heard footsteps but the guard bolted around the corner and I wasn't sure what the turn of events was.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
CyberP What's the difference between difficulty levels in your mod? Is it only enemies doing more damage like the original?

DX really is a great game. In the first two missions alone there are more impressive design touches and C&C (ranging from subtle to striking) than you get in whole AAA games nowadays. My comrades, people in the wild, terrorists, cops, kids on the street, everyone in the office is reacting to decisions I am making. Fantastic.

There's very little genuine C&C in DX (like for example Paul situation), what it does have however is amazing reactivity (NPCs react to every little thing you did, from going to woman's bathroom, to knocking out/killing a fellow officer during a mission, whether you used lethal force etc.) and outstanding level design that offers many possible pathways without them feeling artificial/easy to find.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom