Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

T. Reich

Arcane
I never used the "melee" aug slot (the one with Power Transference) because the only place where I used melee weapons was Liberty Island. After that, I've had enough guns and ammo to spread the love and peace from the distance.
The aqualung aug is REALLY useful, but in like 5 places in the game max (for me) - a lot of long underwater passages are simply the alternative ways to get around; that's fine, but I prefer walking to swimming.
The strength aug I used offensively an entire 1 time. Otherwise, it might as well have been kept at 2.
The rocket detonation aug is tons of fun, but generally I never really had any need for it because I took out all the rocket-wielders before they could fire a single shot. I maybe used it 3 times tops. And it's only really useful from grade 3 onwards; until then the a lot of explosives still hurt you.
With mantling, the importance of the jumpy leg aug is also diminished, compared to vanilla DX.
And I've just realised now, as I'm typing, that I haven't used my ballistic shield aug (which I upped to max asap) a single time! Because I was almost never in a serious firefight.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And I've just realised now, as I'm typing, that I haven't used my ballistic shield aug (which I upped to max asap) a single time! Because I was almost never in a serious firefight.
What difficulty you playing on?

On HC, I get into serious firefights all the time, because many enemies can take a sniper shot to the head and not die, and once shooting starts a lot of enemies pour in(and their reflexes and aim are both quite good).

Ballistic Shield is definitely mandatory to bind to F or something on HC. You need to hit that the instant the heat is on. I don't think you could get by on ballistic vests, they break in about .5s and take way too many biocells to fix. You'd have to really be good at stealth to avoid needing some kind of constant damage reduction (or max cloak and do a speed run).

RoSoDude

Arcane
Ballistic Shield is definitely mandatory to bind to F or something on HC. You need to hit that the instant the heat is on. I don't think you could get by on ballistic vests, they break in about .5s and take way too many biocells to fix. You'd have to really be good at stealth to avoid needing some kind of constant damage reduction (or max cloak and do a speed run).
Nah, I ran through Hardcore with no ballistic protection and wearing ballistic armor with Untrained Environmental Training. I had to be quick and efficient with any combat encounters (which weren't too common since I was playing lethal stealth with a sniper rifle), but it wasn't that hard.

Cloak + Radar Transparency should not be dismissed as a combination. It can be really really overpowered.

T. Reich

Arcane
What difficulty you playing on?

On HC, I get into serious firefights all the time, because many enemies can take a sniper shot to the head and not die, and once shooting starts a lot of enemies pour in(and their reflexes and aim are both quite good).

Played on realistic.
I didn't use the sniper rifle much, actually, until the very end, when I maxed rifles skill + aiming aug + got some damage mods going. Even then, the sniper rifle was only useful vs human targets. Greasels would still take 2 headshots to kill, and adult karkians and greys would take 4(!) headshots. It's also not effective vs MIBs.
Instead, I would usually creep around and carefully headshot enemies one by one with salvos of silenced shots from either the pistol or the assault rifle. The silenced weapons are still cheat mode, after all.
For bigger firefights where stealth is pointless I whipped out the assault shotgun with maxed clip and firing rate.
I would rarely have to face more than two enemies at the time, and those are easy with AS - the first one drops from a surprise attack (2 shots max), and the second one goes down a moment later because they still need a moment to go into alarmed state, and that's plenty of time for me to re-aim.
3+ enemies at a time are hard but really rare, but I'd usually start those fights with a GEP rocket and then spray with AS.
Reinforcements are usually no problem because they almost always come one by one, so they die one by one.
And if it's a REALLY hard fight (like the UNATCO raid at the hotel after you help Paul), a tactical retreat always helped.

T. Reich

Arcane
Nah, I ran through Hardcore with no ballistic protection and wearing ballistic armor with Untrained Environmental Training. I had to be quick and efficient with any combat encounters (which weren't too common since I was playing lethal stealth with a sniper rifle), but it wasn't that hard.

Cloak + Radar Transparency should not be dismissed as a combination. It can be really really overpowered.

IMO, radar transparency alone is a life-saver.
During my playthrough, I feared bots and cameras much more than any living opponent.

IMO, radar transparency alone is a life-saver.
During my playthrough, I feared bots and cameras much more than any living opponent.

Never had problems with bots myself (except spider bots, who are often in confined spaces where you can't sneak past them), but have you tried the allah ackbar spy drone?

T. Reich

Arcane
"Feared" doesn't mean "had troubles with".
But.
If you fuck up the stealth with organics - you have plenty of reaction time, plus you can use almost any weapon on them, plus they can be stunned when taking damage.
When you fuck up and alert the bots/turrets (really easy if you didn't increase the stealth skill) - they don't waste time mucking around and go straight for you with fast-firing high-damage weaponry, they can only be damaged by limited types of weapons, they have tons of life, and they can't be stunned.

Spider bots are relatevely easy, btw, if you brought grenades along.

"Feared" doesn't mean "had troubles with".
But.
If you fuck up the stealth with organics - you have plenty of reaction time, plus you can use almost any weapon on them, plus they can be stunned when taking damage.
When you fuck up and alert the bots/turrets (really easy if you didn't increase the stealth skill) - they don't waste time mucking around and go straight for you with fast-firing high-damage weaponry, they can only be damaged by limited types of weapons, they have tons of life, and they can't be stunned.

Bots are easy to outmaneuver though, they are slow and unwieldy. At long range just duck behind cover and make some distance, at short range you can literally circlestrafe faster than they turn and pummel them with your DTS. The only agile bots are the spider ones, who also have a habit of destroying your biocell energy.

What does stealth skill have to do with alerting bots btw? Are you talking about the slightly longer camera timer? For me in HC the true problem was the "nearby enemies instantly respond to cameras seeing you" feature, which is way more punishing than the actual alerts that never happen.

Spider bots are relatevely easy, btw, if you brought grenades along.

There's tons of them though, you'd go through grenades fast. Best option is really either the Spy Drone or some Sabot ammo in your shotgun. Maybe Plasma would work well too.

---

Arcane
So, I'm finally playing it.
Two questions:
- How does the hunger system work?
- Is JC's office still a safe place to stock unused items? Are there other similar places?

PS: you should update your signature, Ash:M

HubU

Literate
By the sacred name of Prophet Mohammed (alayhi as-salām), this looks fucking amazing.
Great job there, boys :>

Old One

Arcane
How does the hunger system work?
You eat things and it heals a little damage or gives you a little energy. That's it.

Is JC's office still a safe place to stock unused items?
No.

There are a few places, but unless you've played the game before, you can lose access to them unexpectedly. It's not really the kind of game where you're supposed to hoard loot in a chest somewhere.

Jazz_

Arcane
Does someone have a savegame for GMDX 9.0 just after the Hong Kong level? It'd be great if you could share it here. My Deus Ex/GMDX installation got corrupted due to a ransomware (long story) and I don't want to start all over again. :negative:

Jazz_

Arcane
^ I had a ransomware virus some time ago, I thought I catched it in time and didn't damage any file, turns out it damaged my Deus Ex folder, turned all the files there to ONION encrypted files, it's the only software it managed to damage before being erased as far as I can tell.

Ash

Arcane
'Open 08_NYC_Street' to restore progress.
'Summon className' or 'Spawnmass className Number' to get your inventory back manually.
'AugAdd AugmentationClassName' to get your augs back. Also use the commands above to get the approximate number of aug upgrades.
'Set human.SkillPointsAvail number' (I'd estimate about 20000 by this point in the game, including the starting 6250)
And finally, if you were playing hardcore before, once you've fully finished setting up 'Set JCDentonMale.bHardCoreMode True' to re-enable.

Should help: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex_console_commands

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
You're not jewish enough to warrant a review.

I think we're still missing a few more impartial and objective PoE reviews before any other game gets to get a review.

Also, DX is an FPS, not an RPG.
:troll:

.Pixote.

Augur
I'm getting a pop up window - GMDX.exe is not a valid Win32 Application...just to let you know I'm a Neanderthal still running Windows XP.

Ash

Arcane
Grab the older version of Kenties, rename the .exe to 'GMDX', then install it/place the files in DeusEx/System. Done. Launch from Play_GMDX shortcut as normal.

---

Arcane
Are there ways to spawn items in game? I've tried via cheats, but I can't even open the console command.
I'm playing at hardcore, I've lost some precious weapons mods, and the previous save is way too older :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom