Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Anyone made a comparison between GMDX and DE: Revision, and which of them would be more worthwhile to check out?
You've got a box full of Legos. You piece together the greatest Lego car you can imagine, a red Ferrari with a working steering wheel and all sorts of cool little details. Two of your friends ask if they can borrow the car from you, and even though you're a bit hesitant, you're such a nice guy that you can't really say no.

The first guy is kind of weird, and when he brings the car back, you're shocked: your car now has wings, one of its wheels is missing, and every new piece is of a different color so that looking at the thing makes your eyes bleed. "I modified it", your friend says, and at that point you realize that he's a bit retarded and possibly an asshole that never cared about your car in the first place — he just wanted to express himself without the ability to build something of his own from scratch.

The other guy is kind of weird too, obsessed even. You're not sure if you're ever going to see your car again, but in the end he somehow manages to convince you. When he brings it back, you're pleasantly surprised: He added new parts here and there, but it takes a while for you to even realize that they're there. Your car now has a functioning gearbox and a differential, and somehow it feels a lot sturdier than before. Remember, you absolutely loved that car the way it was, so you're naturally on the fence about some changes, wondering about whether a particular detail really needed to be changed. Still, all in all you're pretty happy that your friend seemed to understand and respect what you were going for.

I guess you can figure out which one is Revision and which one is GMDX.

Ash

Arcane
Carrion said:
Remember, you absolutely loved that car the way it was, so you're naturally on the fence about some changes, wondering about whether a particular detail really needed to be changed.

Anyone has a question just ask. I should be able to give you concise design reasoning that makes logical sense.

Black said:
Ash did you scrap the new naval base warehouse area?

Yes. It wasn't good enough for Deus Ex. Will restore it as an add-on though, for those that liked it or are curious.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"I modified it", your friend says, and at that point you realize that he's a bit retarded and possibly an asshole that never cared about your car in the first place — he just wanted to express himself without the ability to build something of his own from scratch.
Haha. Perfect encapsulation of those guys.

I remember years ago, they were being entitled and cagey on their forums and someone responded with, "You know you didn't actually make this game, right?" - comment was deleted, user banned from posting.
rating_lulz.gif

Ash

Arcane
"- Have you thought about rescaling the health display in the top left? Specifically, it stays green even when you're fairly highly damaged and need to heal. There's what looks to be a light-green that shows up around 60% HP left, but that's already really late and its hard to tell the difference in the heat of battle which can lead to stupid deaths. It should be yellow/orange when under 70% IMO."

Good suggestion. It is a bit vague until you're around 50% hp

- When you get the goal to go to Smuggler to buy LAMs for destroying the freighter, the game gives skill points for buying the rockets but not the LAMs. Why? Seems like it should credit either since both are relevant to the mission goal, and the game told you to buy LAMs.

Vanilla. And strange. I'll look into it.

Ash

Arcane
That would be the course of action, yes. I personally would never make the decision to reward xp for purchases, because then it adds greater incentive to buy one thing over another, or buy solely for the xp.

Black

Arcane
Tbh had I known that buying from him gave you exp I would've. Doesn't matter that I was stocked on splosives.
:negative:

IIRC it's an explicit secondary goal to go buy something from him to prepare. Also it's a pretty good price (best for explosives in the game?) and there's no such thing as too many explosives. A small amount of skill points doesn't seem out of the ordinary. You also have the opportunity to inform Smuggler about the upcoming raid so that he can escape, the skill points could be attached to that.

Ash

Arcane
Skill points for dialogue choices makes that choice the only correct choice. Generally speaking DX doesn't reward xp for dialogue choices. Exploration and objectives only. It's the one true way in most contexts imo.

Black

Arcane
IIRC it's an explicit secondary goal to go buy something from him to prepare. Also it's a pretty good price (best for explosives in the game?) and there's no such thing as too many explosives. A small amount of skill points doesn't seem out of the ordinary. You also have the opportunity to inform Smuggler about the upcoming raid so that he can escape, the skill points could be attached to that.
When the game no longer allows you pick up LAMs and GEP rockets it basically say you have enough. But I don't know if warning Smuggler of UNATCO should give exp. I mean, he's important to neither you nor the plot.
Btw it just hit me how cleaner and more peaceful is Paris under MJ12 occupation than irl one :troll:

Last edited:
When the game no longer allows you pick up LAMs and GEP rockets it basically say you have enough. But I don't know if warning Smuggler of UNATCO should give exp. I mean, he's important to neither you nor the plot.

If the game no longer allows you to pick up LAMs or GEP rockets, it's saying you need to blow open more locked doors and containers.

Smuggler is NSF and involved in arming everyone, it's sensible to have some reward for helping him. It's only something like 50 skill points IIRC. You get that for crawling through a random vent.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good job with the latest release, Ash. :salute:

I wasn't planning on doing another playthrough so soon but V9 seems to have caught me.

Probably on my sixth GMDX playthrough, good shit as always.

Looking forward to your next venture, immersive sim indie game hype? :bounce:

T. Reich

Arcane
Sup, Ash, I've decided to give GMDX a long-delayed playthrough (after the Revision shitshow put me off any DX mods for a while).
Gotta say, it's pretty damn well done! Certainly provides a refreshing, yet competently-made, twist on the vanilla experience.
I'm especially impressed by the weapon tweaks. Some of my favourite moments so far has been the actual situational usefulness of the pepper spray and plasma pistol.
The expanded weapon mod system is also pretty fun to play with. I don't know if that's intended, but by the Osgood warehouse I modded my assault rifle to become a long-range stealth headshot murder machine, to the point where I haven't fired a single shot from the sniper rifle so far.
I'm also excited by the AI tweaks.

I have a question about the difficulty levels related to that - is there a detailed description of what changes with each difficulty? I'm playing on Realistic, and I'm curious if that's the "best" difficulty setting for ramped-up AI behaviour?
I'd play on HC mode, but I hate the hassle of only having autosaves.

P.S.: Mantling feels like cheating-lite at times, but I decided to keep it turned on.
Real-time inventory management and hacking is also real fun and a good added challenge at times.

Can every effect of HC (aside from the forced checkpoint system) be replicated with realistic + GMDX optional stuff turned on? There are some options that say "this is forced on in HC mode", but I don't know if they cover all of the differences.

Ash

Arcane
Sup, Ash, I've decided to give GMDX a long-delayed playthrough (after the Revision shitshow put me off any DX mods for a while).
Gotta say, it's pretty damn well done! Certainly provides a refreshing, yet competently-made, twist on the vanilla experience.

It's not a twist. It's a refinement and expansion of the original vision. The ultimate Immersive Sim is the intent. What should be expected from these types of games instead of going down the Invisible War/Bioshock/DX:HR/Dishonored route...at least in gameplay because I don't touch story directly, aside from fixing some things up or enhancing environmental storytelling.

T. Reich

Arcane
Not sure if it's intended or not, but I encountered the weird thing:
Hong Kong, Tonnochi Road, Maggie Chow's building, first visit.
Playing on Realistic.
After visiting and talking to MC, but before leaving the area, I decide to take the side elevator (the one that brings you up to the "renovated" floor, not the backdoor one).
The weird thing is that as soon as elevator arrives to the floor and opens the doors, someone from MJ12 security on the other floor apparently hears this and runs to activate the alarm.
There's nothing on the floor itself that could alarm them - the camera is non-hostile and doesn't react to my presence, and the bum junkie girl is also non-hostile.
Again, this happens as soon as the elevator opens doors. It doesn't matter if I move at all. Tested it several times, the invisible guard's behaviour is consistent.

Edit: Decided to test the backdoor elevator, the one that leads to the roof. The ride itself is uneventful. However, as soon as I simply come close to the door that leads to the MJ12 area, some invisible MJ12 soldier activates the security again. I was crouching all the time.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
After exploring MC's MJ12 compound, there's a guard standing on the ramps that connect both service elevators to the compound. I guess that either his senses are too "sharp" on Realistic, or there's some sort of invisible "holes" in the level architecture that allow him to see you.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Did Paul's datacube in the basement of the nsf sattellite base get moved? I can't find it anywhere in the room.

T. Reich

Arcane
It's on the top of the glass cabinet. IIRC, it's always been there.
Are you sure you're looking in the same room? There are two neighbouring rooms with cabinets.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's on the top of the glass cabinet. IIRC, it's always been there.
Are you sure you're looking in the same room? There are two neighbouring rooms with cabinets.
derp, of course it is. For some reason I was 100% sure that door lead backwards.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
DTS + max low tech + meele damage aug = 70 damage, ie 'bust open almost everything that is locked without lockpicks'. Add targeting aug for even more busting goodness.

Quite nice. Can even take out bots by facehugging them with ballistic protection aug while taking fairly low damage.

feature request: don't delete ballistic vest etc when they run out of charge. Since they can be charged with biocells, this is a bit annoying that you have to make sure they never go low.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom