Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glittering Gems of Hatred - part 3

Amasius

Augur
Sometimes I wonder how it feels to be Rosh.

But I'm very curious about that game he is working on. All the serious journalists here should do their damn duty and try to find a leak in his team. Even some rumors would be fine for a start. :P

Rosh

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
What is this secret information you supposedly have? POST IT ALREADY.

In a nutshell:

If you liked F:POS and think Oblivion is TEH GRATEST THING EVAR, then Fallout 3 is the game for you. Same lack of attention to setting, story, background elements, why the game was made the way it was, that we've dealt with since Chuck Cuevas. Instead of being a P&P-styled CRPG, you can fully expect Morrowind with Guns, and even though Googie doesn't fit the setting quite right (was more "art deco in ruins"), F:POS' use of Googie was described to me as "... would be better than some of the concept art and assets already created for Fallout 3". Much of the shit simply doesn't fit, including some cheap scratch marks and rust brushing akin to FOT, and some stuff that better belongs in Blade Runner. Which was good, but is by no means near Fallout.

Again, as per Bethesda's crappy development, primary development is for the X-Box, with PC as an afterthought. And if you thought the inventory and general interface was bad for Oblivion... Think of what Nival did to the panels and other functionality of HoM&M for Heroes V, and you'll see nearly the same thing for Fallout 3. After all, a status pane like the bottom of Fallout "gets in way of seeing the action", as I've heard about excuses for removing it.

Unashamedly stupid RT combat that will make Bloodlines combat look like genuine CRPG gameplay (as if we could expect anything else from Bethesda as of recent), same kind of roam as Oblivion, except from what I saw and was told, it's FP combat when firearms are brought into play much like Bloodlines. In other words, they're giving Fallout a near Dark Messiah treatment that Might and Magic enjoyed, but with a lot less kicking, probably about the same writing quality, and with 90% more industry newbies on the team. From what I was told up to November, they were still having fun learning about how to script speech trees, as those were considered to be "extra" from the start.

"We will do what we do best" indeed. Freaky Pete has spoken no truer words.

Kingcomrade: Wrong dictionary. Hell, you have a load of evidence on this site of Kharn twatwaffling with VDweller, the part where Kharn was humiliated upon his own forum and then dragged it onto here for more was just priceless. Now add in the comedy that Kharn refused to do his job and completely ignored the info because of his personal beef with VDweller, and it becomes even more hilarious. :D

dagorkan

Arbiter
Check DarkSign's thread in MMOs, cocksucker. Tell us about your game... saying it's tactical and post-apoc is nice but not very useful. Who are you making this with? How long have you been developing, any revolutionary new RPG features in it?

If you have any good predictions (insights, not pure guesses) into how F3 will turn out, please post them here. The idea is to group them all together for easier reference once the game is actually released and so that the whore-apologists can't pretend we didn't tell them.

From what I can tell, Fallout 3 will be the pinnacle, the summit, of the current RPG genre as far as moving foward and what future RPG's are about. If the Fallout community does indeed rip Fallout 3 a new one when it is released, then what the fuck are we gonna do? Seriously. Live off Nostalgia? Hope some golden age will come back and sprout life in our world of dreary lives in the world of post-apocalyptic RPG genre?

I really hope Fallout 3 will indeed be at least decent for all the souls who cherish CRPG gaming in its purest form.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Nostalgia: maybe give up the obsession with the Fallout franchise. There are other RPGs and other things of interest in gaming than that abused, rotten and mutilated carcass. If your life is so 'dreary' don't expect on Bethesda (or any other company) to change it for you. Take your responsibilities and don't be such a fucking loser.

I don't think the 'community' will have any effect. I think Bethesda will be successful in attracting many new fans and people like Kharn and others will be replaced and forgotten. Also Kharn's so-called community doesn't represent anybody, there are tens of thousands of Fallout fans, hundreds of thousands of people who played and liked Fallout a lot. There are almost as many reasons why they like the game. Many people would not mind a more FPS approach. The 'we are the only true fans' mantra does not convince anybody.

It will be like TES. A large number of current fans of the series never played Oblivion. More started with Morrowind. There are still fans who played Arena or Daggerfall and think each game since has been an improvement.

Fact is that Bethesda will only care about a handful of loud-mouthed losers say if it brings them something. If they are put in a position during development where they need your support maybe you can influence them, but the more time passes the less likely that becomes.

dagorkan said:
If your life is so 'dreary' don't expect on Bethesda (or any other company) to change it for you. Take your responsibilities and don't be such a fucking loser.

Whoa. Whoa. Go easy on me, pal. I know my responsibilities and I know what has become of the Shini Grafix era of gaming. I just reminesce of the Quest for Glory days and the promise those kind of games showed, considering I spent most of my childhood playing CRPG's.

Rosh

Erudite
dagorkan said:
Check DarkSign's thread in MMOs, cocksucker. Tell us about your game... saying it's tactical and post-apoc is nice but not very useful.

I don't recall saying post-apocalypse as a setting (though it is a setting in #3), tactical combat was meant to be stated as turn-based tactical combat, and I do believe I added a lot more than the usual press kit filler you'd see for most other games.

Who are you making this with?

Oh, dear, do I need to name-drop in addition to what I have already said in that thread? You should know by now that I detest such puerile hyping. :D

How long have you been developing, any revolutionary new RPG features in it?

I don't use the words "revolutionary", "new age", "new era", or anything the hype whores care to throw around. I will state, however, that some beloved parts of games like Wizardry, with their continuing story from the ending you picked in the previous game, will be similar to what we are trying to accomplish...with the whole fucking story arcs, through a trilogy. The story is planned to play out differently, and we intend truly differently, based upon the character's actions in the game. Alliances will not be a simple different ending or a few bonus items, but instead felt throughout the progression of the game once those alliances are made. We plan on focusing upon role-playing, with the protagonist even able to take the role of the main villain, if they so desire, and not in a binary method of KoTOR and Fable. Which both had static story paths as well.

An assload of writing? Yes, it has been. The trilogy has been in writing for about three years, and unfortunately only the first 1/5 of the first game can be publicly talked about, as the mere locations of the rest of the series will be a spoiler. The game is also done when it's done, meaning that it could be four to six years before it's finished, or longer, hence why the graphics are planned to be "adequate" so we could instead focus upon the story.

I still hold the Origin beliefs, that a CRPG is an interactive story (though I don't like linear stories as a CRPG has the ability to be the ULTIMATE in pick-your-own-path adventures), and should feel that way. This silly Fed-Ex bullshit of recent CRPG lameness has got to go. I am also tired of games where NPC interaction consists of "kiss their ass as much as possible". No, fuck that, be yourself and the people will respond accordingly. If you're a brute, people should respond in suit depending upon their personality, and may like or hate you for it. For one example, in Bloodlines with the Bonds Shop. Insult the owner and he thinks it's pretty funny and likes you a bit more, but too much is too far, stuff like that. Others might like even cruder behavior. Be yourself or how you want to play your character, and it should respond to you in turn.

That is our plan, and we intend to stick with it as it's the purpose for writing the game.

If you have any good predictions (insights, not pure guesses) into how F3 will turn out, please post them here.
The idea is to group them all together for easier reference once the game is actually released and so that the whore-apologists can't pretend we didn't tell them.

Well, I'd post them in that thread, except for one problem. They aren't predictions. They're what I have been told by Bethesda employees. Whether Bethesda as a whole has the cojones to figure out that they should start doing honest work, or hire more industry newbs from their TES forums, is up to them. It has been a few months since I have heard about the art, hopefully it has changed since. I haven't heard word different since, so... *shrug*

Already I can confirm no aimed shots were planned in the game at the time I was talking with my sources (think damage locations...). The combat also wasn't planned for knockdowns and other similar effects that were omitted from FOT due to the nature of RT and how knockdowns would be handled. Of course, some of the developers at the beginning were a bit confused between Fallout and FOT. Understandably so, with the talent pool at Bethesda.

That thread does bring up a few items that I will pose to my contacts when I next speak with them, hopefully I can get some more answers, and will in turn let the people here know.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
You know what I'm gonna hate most?

When reviewers say that Fallout 3 does the first two justice. When they say its everything fallout fans want. When they say its a Fallout game. Even though its just Oblivion with guns. I'm going to cry when I read those reviews.

Damn you Bethseda! Damn you all ta hell!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The_Nameless_Prick said:
If the Fallout community does indeed rip Fallout 3 a new one when it is released, then what the fuck are we gonna do? Seriously. Live off Nostalgia? Hope some golden age will come back and sprout life in our world of dreary lives in the world of post-apocalyptic RPG genre?
I'll be playing Supreme Commander. I had more fun with the demo already than with any RPG from 2006.
THere are other games I want to play, but you get the idea. If no good RPGs are released, I'll just not play RPGs, and sometimes wish good RPGs are made.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Claw said:
I'll be playing Supreme Commander. I had more fun with the demo already than with any RPG from 2006.
THere are other games I want to play, but you get the idea. If no good RPGs are released, I'll just not play RPGs, and sometimes wish good RPGs are made.

May I ask which RPGs of 2006 you have been playing (games billed as such):
Pick one of these:

Banished, The
Dungeon Siege II - Broken World
Etrom - The Astral Essence
Gods: Lands of Infinity
Gooka - Das Geheimnis von Janatris
Gothic 3
Ground Zero - Genesis of a New World
Hammer und Sichel (Hammer & Sickle)
Mage Knight: Apocalypse
Neverwinter Nights 2
Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV)
Star Wolves 2
Titan Quest
Wächter der Nacht (Night Watch)

I am totaly oblivious of the fact that anyone couldn't have more fun with these than with that bold but half-assed attempt of a RTS game that is best played on a maxed out map, shoving ugly dots from one point to the other ...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Rosh said:
Even so, I find it amazing that someone until recently off-site seemed to understand the material and what was going on even better than the NMA staff. Care to explain that one?

Yes, it's you.

Rosh said:
It's not politics because that's the way the sources wanted it to be handled, as I've told you before.

Actually, you never mentioned that before, and it's more of a valid reason.

Rosh said:
And it's not politics when I'm trying to evaluate exactly how much other people are doing their supposed jobs as "news admin".

The point still essentially stands, though. As I understood from you, action in the month of July could have made a difference. Seeing inaction on our parts, you decided not to act either.

I'll be very honest with you, Rosh, I think you have a point and that I was wrong in a lot of things. I saw the rumours and it did not even occur to me to post them. The lackluster reactions they got on DaC didn't encourage me any further. So I didn't post them, which according to you is either a sign of ignorance or not caring. Maybe you're right, I don't see the need to draw it into a personalities debate. I'm of the opinion that you could easily either have posted it yourself or implanted the idea that it should be posted *on time*, rather than 4 months later. Nobody asked you to carry the burden by yourself, but nor were you encouraging anyone to carry any burden for you.

In that context, I'm posting your post above on NMA. Too little too late? Stupidity? Laxness? Inconsistency? "I won"? Sure.

Rosh said:
Well, if I'm going to be the only fan who seems to care about the details of the game than bicker over useless shit and how Bethesda hasn't told you anything so you are clueless, and you did't see any reason to listen to me, then I wasn't going to waste my time dealing with a bunch of people who couldn't be bothered to do anything but read DAC for news

Ok, but then you're not really any better than us in effect. Are you?

Rosh said:
So why should I be the one giving you the info, have my sources demanded from me, if I'm going to be the only one trying to do the work?

Call me crazy, Rosh, but if you wanted people to work with you, why didn't you ask, rather than posting the rumours and expecting people to read your mind/intentions?

Rosh said:
Then, if NMA "doesn't repost rumors", as you yourself have recently, I wonder if I would have gotten the same shit and perhaps even the article taken down.

No you don't. You know damn well that you're way too respected to be criticised for doing something like that, and that equally it would not have been taken down. That's not in doubt.

Rosh said:
Yes, it could have been made into a news item, but then remember the blissful ignoring people did with the X-Box comments Pete and Todd made previously,

Personally, I'm still kind of surprised by that. As far as I know, it was pretty much asumed it would be console-pc from day 1, yet some people expressed surprise at hints in that direction.

I can't take responsibility for other people paying attention, though.

Rosh said:
Learn to read, dipshit.

Whoops.

Rosh said:
Sulking over a few pages of how you've not bothered to do digging for yourself, and instead have to rely on Bethesda spoon-feeding it to you, tends to be a pathetic read when I also know that you haven't done shit for looking for yourself but read DAC and some other sites. No contacts of your own except those that will visit the NMA or DAC forums, and the relayed information from those that were available through others was often ignored in light of Order-style drama whoring.

Rosh, I never pretended to look for developer contacts. That was never my job on NMA, nor with Van Buren nor now. As far as I know, there is an NMA team each of whom has his own jobs to take care of. Are you saying getting developer contacts is the only relevant job on NMA and every admin should be doing it?

Rosh said:
You are, in essence, putting yourself on the same level as the other work and effort people have done in the past for the Fallout franchise, and that's simply dishonest as hell.

I am?

Rosh said:
And your assumption.

Also true.

Rosh said:
Actually, I did. I was trying to keep the franchise as best as I could, and that is also achieved by NOT compromising the few remaining developers there at Bethesda who have integrity, while also trying to explain what Bethesda was doing to the title. The Fallout 3 forum and news forum are LITTERED with a number of my posts that explain this in depth.

I can't prioritize Fallout 3 over you, because now you're both equally fucked up, too late to help either.

Ok, so if you have no suggestions to make, what are you trying to accomplish? Should we all roll over and die?

Honestly, Rosh, I'm quite done. I'm fine with you declaring victory now, but I don't think this is leading anywhere. If you want to give up on the Fallout community, I can live with that, but then there's no more reason for me to talk to you.

dragged it onto here

A start about that thread on NMA was made over here, and not by me. Be factual.

Kharn refused to do his job and completely ignored the info because of his personal beef with VDweller

I've never had any personal beef with VDweller, and what do you base this on?

mister lamat

Scholar
it's kinda like a midget wrestling match. replace midgets with fat middle aged men who still live with their parents and replace wrestling with... i dunno... a contest to see who's a bigger failure at being an adult.

very keen, ladies, very keen.

aries202

Erudite
Hey guys

Don't you understand that this is just the thing that Btehsoft wants??

The nma & the codex arguing over some minor details when we really should be focusin on working together and voicing out our common concerns that FO3 is going to be Oblivion with Guns (of sorts., apparently).

This means an FPS action game with some stats
(maybe?) and some quests/missions to do.

I'm pretty sure that STALKER is the better game, though.

Anyway, if the codex, nma and DaC stands together and does say these things in unision,
then maybe....

someone actually will listen

Hazelnut

Erudite
Class clowns are so pathetic when they fail at being funny, am I right mister l?

mister lamat

Scholar
why would they listen to people who took an active role in marginalizing themselves? like or dislike hines and howard, more than enough has been said to dehumanize them to the point where they no longer want to hear what these people have to say, or even visit the site. a rather large part of communication, or journalism if you want to call it that, is knowing how to be political and knowing when to hold your tongue.

they make more than enough money with their product and keep their investors happy. those are the only people they're accountable to, the only people they 'have' to listen to. there's no point in paying attention to someone who calls you 'the father of lies'. bethesda wants to make a game and they will, for good or for bad. they really don't care if some sad old men with copious amounts of free time are bickering about how to build their intarweb maginot line of fallout purity.

taxacaria

Scholar
aries202 said:
The nma & the codex arguing over some minor details when we really should be focusin on working together and voicing out our common concerns that FO3 is going to be Oblivion with Guns (of sorts., apparently).

I'm sure there is great consent about this matter.
Some minor personal differences haven't enough weight to change that in any way.
But I fear that the chance of success is nonexistent ( see Oblivion, StarTrek:Legacy...).
As long as Beth makes sufficient money with crappy games, they have no need to change their policy in any way - especially because they're receiving one "award" after another.

aries202

Erudite
A bit off topic, but bear with me.

I have just picked up a copy of the Danish Magazine for PC games, called *PC Player*.

They have given the Star Trek: Legacy a score of 5,5 which most, imo, relies on the fact that it mainly is an action game.

And the action isn't, according to the review,
that great. The missions are few and simple isn't varied enough...

Star Trek Legacy is designed to be an action game for the X box. (sadly it is apparently not that great an action game).

I have been to my local EB Store and seen the Xbox versions of Star Trek:Legacy. They do NOT seem to be moving (that fast, anyway).

I know that many people on the sites I mentioned, don't like Oblivion. I do, but I do not think that is an rpg, It is more of crossbreed genre, a mix of rpg, action and adventure (meaning exploring) genre.

And Vanilla Oblivion isn't much a game. imo. Thankfully, there is modders for this game, too.

I sincerely hope that Fallout 3 is NOT Oblivion with
Guns. (yet, if it is, I'd still maintain that STALKER would be the better game).

ETA:

To me, it seems that Bethsoft (and Zenimax Media) has chosen their target audience
of 13-16 (or maybe 13-19 year) old boys, who they think wants (brawdy) action games like Star Trek: Legacy and Oblivion. (well, Oblivion is really more of action/adventure game, but you get the drift, I hope ;) ).

I don't know if Bethsoft and Zenimax Media haven't gotten the memo that the average gamer now is in his thirties or at least somewhere between 25-35 year's old. And that these average gamer do demand content which is suitable for them. And that this actually means making good games, be they rpg games or action games.

I'm not out to get action games, since there really are many solid and valid action games out there, which also seems to have a decent story: Games like Prey, Gears of War and Lost Planet, and also games such as Space Rangers 2 and Supreme Commander as well.

The point is this:
Highly well written games are well written througout the genres --- and does indeed deserve to be acclaimed and commended...

Badly written deserves neither...

ratata

Novice
mister lamat said:
why would they listen to people who took an active role in marginalizing themselves? like or dislike hines and howard, more than enough has been said to dehumanize them to the point where they no longer want to hear what these people have to say, or even visit the site. a rather large part of communication, or journalism if you want to call it that, is knowing how to be political and knowing when to hold your tongue.

they make more than enough money with their product and keep their investors happy. those are the only people they're accountable to, the only people they 'have' to listen to. there's no point in paying attention to someone who calls you 'the father of lies'. bethesda wants to make a game and they will, for good or for bad. they really don't care if some sad old men with copious amounts of free time are bickering about how to build their intarweb maginot line of fallout purity.

I agree 100%.
Kharn...go do something productive you really cant call what you do work..a 5 year old can repost articles.
Briasfreak....quit sucking Kharns dick...your a fucking puppet with no balls hopefully NMA will cut those strings they have you hanging by.
Rosh...your the bigger man here, why do you even bother arguing with an idiot troll like Kharn, the same person who gets mad and calls people a "nigger" thats shows how much of a douchebag he really is along with all the other nazi NMA admin/mods.

Krafter

Scholar
Rosh said:
Well, I'd post them in that thread, except for one problem. They aren't predictions. They're what I have been told by Bethesda employees. Whether Bethesda as a whole has the cojones to figure out that they should start doing honest work, or hire more industry newbs from their TES forums, is up to them. It has been a few months since I have heard about the art, hopefully it has changed since. I haven't heard word different since, so... *shrug*

Already I can confirm no aimed shots were planned in the game at the time I was talking with my sources (think damage locations...). The combat also wasn't planned for knockdowns and other similar effects that were omitted from FOT due to the nature of RT and how knockdowns would be handled. Of course, some of the developers at the beginning were a bit confused between Fallout and FOT. Understandably so, with the talent pool at Bethesda.
Ugh. This sounds about as dreadful as ever, it's like they are not even trying. Aries202, yes, Fallout 3 will be an action game designed for the xbox kiddies. Like we expected anything other than that, really.

Welcome to RPG Hell.

Ladonna

Arcane
While I don't agree with everything Mr lamat says,

they really don't care if some sad old men with copious amounts of free time are bickering about how to build their intarweb maginot line of fallout purity.

That was extremely witty and funny to me :lol:

But seriously Mr lamat, instead of fence sitting, what do you think? what kind of Fallout would you prefer out of the various models swinging around the place?

As for what Fallout 3 will be.....Pfft....Who didn't fucking know?! I am serious here, how can any of you still be delusional? Time for a new brand of Post Apoc Roleplaying.

Edit: Actually, It also pisses me off that along with Fallout having to be raped, it can't even be raped and made by a decent Shooter dev. Its a lose/lose situation :cry:

taxacaria

Scholar
mister lamat said:
why would they listen to people who took an active role in marginalizing themselves? like or dislike hines and howard, more than enough has been said to dehumanize them to the point where they no longer want to hear what these people have to say, or even visit the site.

Have a look at Oblivion : A lot of communication, a lot of lies and in the end a crappy game.
Have a look at StarTrek:Legacy : communication to abuse fansites for free advertising to feed the pre realease hype, and in the end a crappy game.
Are you really surprised by the angry reactions?
Do you think a professional PR clown feels insulted now?
Why do yo think same people with same jobs can be trusted now?

dagorkan

Arbiter
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Whoa. Whoa. Go easy on me, pal. I know my responsibilities and I know what has become of the Shini Grafix era of gaming. I just reminesce of the Quest for Glory days and the promise those kind of games showed, considering I spent most of my childhood playing CRPG's.

Hey nothing personal. Just I hear people whining all the time like F3 is the end of the world it annoys me and just depressing. Yes I agree Bethesda will screw it up but get a grip on yourselves.

@Rosh: 'assload of righting' nice, you sure got me interested.

That thread does bring up a few items that I will pose to my contacts when I next speak with them, hopefully I can get some more answers, and will in turn let the people here know.

I didn't realize there was somebody with active contacts in the Bethsoft. Thanks that would be great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom