Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glittering Gems of Hatred - part 3

gc051360

Scholar
What the hell, it gets a little bit more entertaining, so I'll entertain it for a bit longer.
Thank you for gracing me with your presence oh wise one.
I'd rather you not. Oops, too late.
Good one. I accused you of using illogical arguments. Your response was "no, you are."
Funny. When I read back, there's not much bragging, but more like enjoying the irony of some random user calling me anonymous, while in turn not bothering to check their facts at all.
There was in the posts I was responding to. Not in the entire conversation.
Did I forget to mention that I'm a sexy beast?
That would have helped.
Shiny might entertain the idiots at ESF, but it doesn't quite work for me
Me neither.
Oh, no! I point out to one moron that I'm not quite as "anonymous" as their straw man argument would like, and another comes along with an even more stupid one.
You claimed yourself to have importance due to your important contributions to CRPG's. Then you put others down for not having said importance. I call that bragging.
So back off the ego, for this topic it IS considered the authority over you. Unless you have something to say about the topic...no?
Not really. I liked the article.
O
nly if you have something remotely intelligent or relevant to say. So far, you've failed on both counts for this thread. So you're going to be treated as forum filler as well.
See. That's the thing. YOu are doing the same thing, yet you excuse yourself because "They did it first"
You don't even bother to stay anywhere close to the topic, but instead start this ad hominem crusade against me because some random forum filler is being a twit
No. I didn't start a crusade. I pointed out smugness. That's it.
So, in short, you're a forum-filling retard that essentially puts themselves on the same level as me simply because Corky can hit Post Reply.
I never put myself on the same level as anyone. I haven't said anything about me. I just pointed out that you were being smug. Self agrandising is the phrase that comes to mind, but I am most likely using that word wrong. I am, afterall, a retard forum filler.
Not out of the ordinary for the ESF forums. Maybe you should try there.
No. I don't belong there. I am too high for them, too low for you. I am a man with no country.
There is a reason why I don't visit the GameSpy, IGN, or any other mass media site, because of their rather...puerile tastes.
I don't visit those sites either for the same reasons. And this spam-athon wasn't meant to be started. I was just calling smugness where I saw it. And what you said didn't seem to make much sense. Telling someone they don't matter, yet spending a page trying to make them look inferior to you.

Bradylama

Arcane
Who cares if Rosh is being smug? He annoyed people enough to be given a cameo, he's got industry contacts, and is the project lead for his own game.

Before I even knew any of that I knew that he was a navy veteran.

Rosh has never been just some "random nerd" but if Excrement wants to run his intellectual diarrhea in the usual pidgin English his cleft-palleted Occitaine parents beat into him he should be prepared to get what's coming to him.

I mean, fuck, you would be smug too if somebody like Excrement said you were nothing in regards to a field you excelled in and had recognition for. Excrement is the guy who goes up to Bill Nye and asks him what he knows about science. (cue 40 minute special)

gc051360

Scholar
Who cares if Rosh is being smug?
I don't remember why I cared. I don't though.
Sorry, but my work past and present extends past here, past NMA, and past most of the two-bit gaming college pimply primadonnas the currently make up the industry. And a majority of Bethesda, now
^^That's it. That's the phrase that sparked my interest. Seemed a bit grandiose.

Sorry for wasting anybodys time. I retract my earlier posts as I have now lost sight of if I ever even really had a point to begin with. Oh well. Back to being a retard kid right?

Rosh

Erudite
Bradylama said:
Who cares if Rosh is being smug?

Hell, if I'm going to be accused of throwing a bit of ego around, I might as well have a bit of fun. :D

He annoyed people enough to be given a cameo, he's got industry contacts, and is the project lead for his own game.

Actually, more like about a dozen, if you include personal nods (Jagged Alliance 2, one of the custom portraits), the continuation of characters I've created (okay, I joke, Ultima IX killed them all off, along with anything of what Ultima once was), adaptations of characters (Planescape: Torment, my jaded spymaster/assassin), and then a few miscellaneous nods from my time harassing developers. MicroForté and Fallout Tactics of note; I'm sure Chuck has something in F:POS...if only enough people cared enough to play and find it. Could one of the people who have played it (I'm not saying that you bought it...so calm down) to any great length please shed a bit of light? Unfortunately, by the time anyone actually DOES finish that game, their brains would be rivaled by tapioca.

I'm sure Bethesda, in particular Todd and Stinky Pete, are just shitting themselves to come up with something as well.

I mean, fuck, you would be smug too if somebody like Excrement said you were nothing in regards to a field you excelled in and had recognition for. Excrement is the guy who goes up to Bill Nye and asks him what he knows about science. (cue 40 minute special)

And then shits himself, so Bill can play another 40 minute game of What's That Smell? Shit jokes. Haha. Funny!

Hey, beer. Anyone have Petrus?

The Dude

Liturgist
Anyone actually thinking that constructive dialogue between the outbreak of piles that the current Bethsoft is and the Fallout community was ever possible is naive beyond recognition.

Do you really think that a company that basically raped the canon of their own franchise in the name of profits is going to not do so to another franchise because of a relatively small but vocal group of fans? Sure, the Fallout fans have always been more vocal and crafty than most, and it could be a small victory to win them over, however, Beth do not care, and this is why:

Firstly, they have pretty much all the world's mainstream gaming media wrapped around their little finger. Any PR-damage done by disgruntled fans is easily mitigated by this, or so they probably think anyway.

Secondly, the wishes of the fans does not clash well with those of the marketing department and those of the average Joe as percieved by the marketing dept and their focus groups. While the marketing dept. scratches their heads wondering how they hell would market a game with healthy dose of dialogue driven gameplay and actual non avoidable pauses in the action I don't really blame them. Average Joe just wants a break from his 12 hour workday, a break where he mostly don't have to activate anything but the most base cerebral functions which has been there since beginning of time while his kids thinks that "TEH REDDING IS TEH HRAD!!!1!" and has every three and four letter syndrome psychologists invented during the last 20 years.

Thirdly, Bethesda plays in a totally different league than BIS or some small time Aussie dev ever did. They are an unwieldy giant backed by humongous dragons of hellfire. They probably have pretty fucking huge financial expectations set upon them. In this situation it takes courage to innovate or take leaps of faith, this courage is exceedingly rare in today's gaming market signified by creative stagnation, towering development costs and big business. Without a shadow of a doubt Bethsoft does not have this courage.

All this sure sucks for me and you that wants to enjoy a nice CRPG, but I don't think we will see a truly good RPG of any form from any mainstream publisher or dev in the foreseeable future. Instead we have to look out for the indies, or some random guy suddenly posting an awesome rpg on the intarnets, or maybe even Rosh, because we might as well consider the big business devs and pubs dead to us and move on.

Sorry for the rambling venting, I'll be quiet now.

Rosh

Erudite
On a continued note, and to make a clarification upon a point I made earlier. The "Dark Messiah" treatment basically means to call a game "revolutionary", "new age", or basically any of the trendwords that Todd and the other dipshits want to publicly shovel out, but then don't bother to actually offer such, and such lameplay exsted in better forms previously years before the hype. They take a title, fuck over any depth people expected from the original games, in order to make a shiny, shallow console piece of shit. That is the full extent of Todd's "talent". I don't mean that it will be Sir Kicksalot in the Land of Lamely Copying the Best and Worst Parts of Thief (well, with Emil, it just might...so you might have to headshot ghouls... ;)), but that it's become a trendwhored, shallow facsimile of what the title once was. Now, dishonest asshats are taking that title to ride on its coattails, but without doing any of the quality work people expect from the title. All for the sake of cashing on the console trash.

And if you thought the generic wad of shlock fantasy shit backstory for the "new" Might and Magic games was bad, or if you thought the backstory of Oblivion was talentless beyond compare, there's an even worse treatment that Chuck did to an extent. The six-letter swear that makes any fan of any setting (assuming they pay attention to the setting, which automatically excludes any <s>TES</s> Oblivion fans) instantly taste bile at the back of their throat.

Retcon.

When you know some dipshits at Bethesda can't discern between Fallout and Fallout Tactics, as they have publicly proven in the past near the announcement, be afraid. Be very afraid. These people sought out to obtain the license yet seemed to have little clue about it, which makes their intent around the license the most ironic excuse ever. The excuse being: They obtained the license and THEN decided what to do with it. Bullshit. They had an idea of what they were going to do when they handed over the money. They knew generally how they were going to develop it and make a profit from that acquisition. Business 101, folks, you plan before you put down that much money. Since they are console whores, figure on whatever that might have been worthwhile being sacrificed for X-Brick SHINEY!

Now it's just time to see how well Bethesda likes being caught, again, at their lies, dishonesty, and overhype. Oh, wait, I spoke before realizing that Pete has set whole new standards for shitty PR...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom