Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Giving up on PC gaming

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, sounds like some hardware is failing if you've tried so many OS's and drivers and stuff. It sucks, but you might be able to identify the faulty hardware by taking an individual piece out and replacing them one by one from another machine. You got any pals that have an old computer lying around somewhere? Once stuff stops crashing, you've found your problem piece. Unless there's more than one faulty piece, which is more of an annoyance.

EDIT:
I'm always getting blue screens for one reason or another (and not just on this rig and operating system)
Seems like you're doing something seriously wrong here.
Heh, I know a gadget enthusiast or two that seem to have endless problems with their machines. Checked it out and holy FUCK so much "optimizing software" and shit that there's no wonder the poor fucking thing keeps crashing with 3 "ram optimizers" running at once. Not saying that this is the case here, but if you the same set of problems across a wide range of hardware and time span, it might have something to do with how you do things rather than what you buy - maybe that one piece of software that you've trusted since the 90ies is actually a piece of shit malware these days. Maybe you're not supposed to OC your stock GPU to a certain frequency. Maybe you've tuned your RAM manually and your motherboard isn't enjoying that.

I've actually gone "Lazy asshole" way with my last 2 PCs, found a custom PC store that I found I could trust, and wowies, for a VERY nominal fee (I'm talking like 20 monies here), I got my shit built, tested and applied a 3 year shop warranty to. Had hardware fail on me once for mysterious reasons, took it in, had it running the next day. For free. If you don't enjoy tinkering with your machine without any visible results, take it to someone that's enthusiastic about it and does it for a living. Problem solved.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Have you tried asking about your issues in the Tech Support forum (in SCIENCE!) here at the 'Dex?
There are some lovely, considerate and patient bros with computer knowledge who will delicately and
compassionately guide you through the process of resolving your PC problems. No tech question is too dumb and
all answers will be gently and unsarcastically supplied. Try it!

:troll:

The fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have had to even do this to begin with. Why in the holy name of hell do I need to view dumps of blue screens, selectively verify drivers, stress test the CPU/memory/GPU, update (and then roll back) drivers, and reinstall the entire OS, just to play a game?

Because you fucked something up. Had you done it right to begin with, you'd be playing the games right now. Might wanna find a friend or someone to fix the computer for you, you seem intent on doing it yourself out of pride but we can see it's not working

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
If you don't mind mostly having shitty popamole to play and being at the mercy of the platform holder when it comes to basic functionality (PS3 can't even take screenshots in games, PS4 can't play MP3s because lol, on Xbox you need to pay $5 a month to be allowed to use a web browser, and so on...), then consoles are for you.

If you actually want to play games that require a mouse and keyboard or a working brain, but can't be bothered to fiddle with hardware, simply have someone else build the machine for you. Like tuluse says, just pay a local shop $20 for the pleasure. Or, if you want to have a nice, small case, you can look into Alienware and the like. Honestly, if you're willing to drop $400 on a GPU, you can afford to do this as well.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've definitely felt the frustration before of a shitty PC and games not playing right. At the end of the day though you'll be back, we'll all be back, because the advantages and classics that made us PC gamers will never let us go.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting multiple BSoDs nowdays could mean only 2 things:

A) You are retarded and can't into properly operating a computer because, you know, we're not in 1998 anymore.

B) Your computer got fucked up because: read point A.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
BSoD's? Hm. Your computer could be overheating. When was the last time you checked your thermal paste? Check your peak temperature when playing games. Also could be a faulty power supply not cooling enough your computer. Also could be a problem on your RAM memory.

All of those cost less than 80$ to fix. Also, i don't get your original post - do you mean you can't run old games, or you mean you can't run new games? Incompatibility and obsolete hardware are completely different things.

Angthoron

Arcane
BSoD's? Hm. Your computer could be overheating. When was the last time you checked your thermal paste? Check your peak temperature when playing games. Also could be a faulty power supply not cooling enough your computer. Also could be a problem on your RAM memory.

All of those cost less than 80$ to fix. Also, i don't get your original post - do you mean you can't run old games, or you mean you can't run new games? Incompatibility and obsolete hardware are completely different things.
Actually yeah, if you're migrating any of the elements from one machine to the other, then one of them could easily be the problem. RAM or a faulty PSU can screw you over rather quick, all the "stealthy" issues that I had with my machines in the last decade or so were due to those two.

Monocause

Arcane
ITT someone whines about what essentially is his own ineptitude in building, maintaining and understanding PCs. Yeah, a console is likely to be a good solution for you.

Seriously, I've enough of hearing this shit, it's only slightly less common than "OH BUT WITH CONSOLES YOU SPEND LESS CAUSE YOU DONT NEED TO UPGRADE". Which is bullshit by the way, unless you're one of these idjits who need to run everything at highest resolutions and max settings at >60 FPS. You can build a decent rig that'll last you for years with minimal upgrades for 400-500 quid - and games for the PC are generally much, much cheaper so the PC is essentially the cheapest gaming platform available as long as you're levelheaded.

Most of the time when i've helped people solve issues like these, it turned out that they fucked up their system by fe buying a top-tier power hungry GFX card but a shitty PSU from some noname chinese manufacturer. Or using 'optimisation' software. Or overclocking everything to dish out 1-2 useless FPS at max settings while not taking proper care of the increased cooling needs.

If you're a guy who just expects things to magically work, yeah, buy a console. Preferably previous gen as you're going to hit quite a few issues with both PS4 and XB1. Both of these need probably about a year's worth of firmware and hardware upgrades

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Logic is your friend. A rigorous process of elimination is the only way to solve these kinds of problems.

If you simply don't have the resources to do so, take your PC to a reputable PC repair shop. Ask them about their pricing policies. A good shop WILL NOT CHARGE YOU if they can't fix the problem.

This is the kind of work I do every day.

P.S. Stop whinging.

Tytus

Arcane
a few issues with both PS4 and XB1
I had to reinstall GTAV on PS3 to be able to start New Game.

I love how console gaming is destroying it's own argument why anyone should play it. In the past it had the advantage of "plug and play", now you have to install games to the hard drive to even play it. And the drives are smaller and more expensive then the pc ones. You can't even store patches on the drive so you won't have to download them all over again when you reinstall the game.
What the fuck, console peasants.
Are you even trying?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm always getting blue screens for one reason or another (and not just on this rig and operating system)
A friend was getting blue screens on his computer (Win7 x64) at random times (gaming, browsing, using Office, etc). It turns out his hard drive was failing.

a few issues with both PS4 and XB1
I had to reinstall GTAV on PS3 to be able to start New Game.

I love how console gaming is destroying it's own argument why anyone should play it. In the past it had the advantage of "plug and play", now you have to install games to the hard drive to even play it. And the drives are smaller and more expensive then the pc ones. You can't even store patches on the drive so you won't have to download them all over again when you reinstall the game.
What the fuck, console peasants.
Are you even trying?
and no loading times. oh i so loved that...
nowadays consoles are just dumbed down computers with lots of retarded games.

Giving up on penis

Fuck penis.

Yeah, that's right, I said it. Fuck penis. Don't get me wrong, I love (and always have loved) playing with penises. From the age of 5 when I first played with penis on the old shack at the park near my house, to the school toilets, college showers, office WC, church confessionary and the alley behind the mall, I have been a huge penis elitist snob who never touched a vagina, but seriously, I'm fed up.

I've sunk a significant amount of money into a dragon dildo, and spent money on a number of lubrificants. Only to discover that they won't stick (despite far exceeding the minimum amount recommended on the bottle). Typical. So after spending hours trying literally dozens of brands (don't companies play test their shit at alll?), I find myself getting blue balls. Great. A blue ballsack which gives minimal (if any) information that you need to fix the problem. Thanks K-Y.

OK, ok, I've been through this before. Run to the phone. Question the doctor to isolate any troublesome symptoms. Check all the leaflets. Check if I'm allergic to any of the materials. Nope, no success. Ok, I'll reapply the last one. Same problem. OK, I'll try another brand. No go. My balls, glans and prostate all passed stress tests. The hobo at the alley behind the mall doesn't see any problems.

So after literally days of tinkering around with my penis, I'm back at square one, out a dragon dildo which cost $400+ and a bunch of penises I can't play with. I mean, hell, I could have got a portable vagina for that money. These days I spend more time trying to get the penis to work, rather than actually playing with them, which really pisses me off, because I'm short on time. This is far from the first time I've had technical difficulties, either. I'm always getting blue balls for one reason or another (and not just on this day and age). Now I'm stuck in a sort of limbo, where I can't play with new penises because of this blue balls shit, and I can't play with old penises because they are too big for me without lube.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Giving up on penis

Fuck penis.

Yeah, that's right, I said it. Fuck penis. Don't get me wrong, I love (and always have loved) playing with penises. From the age of 5 when I first played with penis on the old shack at the park near my house, to the school toilets, college showers, office WC, church confessionary and the alley behind the mall, I have been a huge penis elitist snob who never touched a vagina, but seriously, I'm fed up.

I've sunk a significant amount of money into a dragon dildo, and spent money on a number of lubrificants. Only to discover that they won't stick (despite far exceeding the minimum amount recommended on the bottle). Typical. So after spending hours trying literally dozens of brands (don't companies play test their shit at alll?), I find myself getting blue balls. Great. A blue ballsack which gives minimal (if any) information that you need to fix the problem. Thanks K-Y.

OK, ok, I've been through this before. Run to the phone. Question the doctor to isolate any troublesome symptoms. Check all the leaflets. Check if I'm allergic to any of the materials. Nope, no success. Ok, I'll reapply the last one. Same problem. OK, I'll try another brand. No go. My balls, glans and prostate all passed stress tests. The hobo at the alley behind the mall doesn't see any problems.

So after literally days of tinkering around with my penis, I'm back at square one, out a dragon dildo which cost $400+ and a bunch of penises I can't play with. I mean, hell, I could have got a portable vagina for that money. These days I spend more time trying to get the penis to work, rather than actually playing with them, which really pisses me off, because I'm short on time. This is far from the first time I've had technical difficulties, either. I'm always getting blue balls for one reason or another (and not just on this day and age). Now I'm stuck in a sort of limbo, where I can't play with new penises because of this blue balls shit, and I can't play with old penises because they are too big for me without lube.
Post of the year so far. :D

DraQ

Arcane
Smart move.

Should get him off our back for a year or two.
After that he'll probably have managed to have his system configured to the point where he'll be able to fire up browser and pester us again.

Giving up on penis

Fuck penis.

Would :bro: if it was about his own penis (and dickring or something), and the conclusion was him going tranny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom