Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Giving up on PC gaming

the_shadow

Arcane
Fuck PC gaming.

Yeah, that's right, I said it. Fuck PC gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love (and always have loved) playing video games. From the age of 5 when I first played Ultima III on my old Macintosh, to Diablo, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Gothic and Planescape on PC, I have been a huge PC gaming elitist snob who never touched a console, but seriously, I'm fed up.

I've sunk a significant amount of money into a PC, and spent money on a number of games. Only to discover that they won't run (despite far exceeding the minimum specs). Typical. So after spending hours downloading literally gigabytes of patches (don't developers play test their shit at alll?), I find myself getting blue screens. Great. A blue screen which gives minimal (if any) information that you need to fix the problem. Thanks Microsoft.

OK, ok, I've been through this before. Run registry cleaner. Use driver verifier to isolate any troublesome drivers. Reinstall my graphics card drivers. Reinstall my motherboard drivers. Nope, no success. Ok, I'll reinstall Windows 7. Same problem. OK, I'll try Windows XP. No go. My CPU, memory and GPU all passed stress tests. chkdsk doesn't find any problems.

So after literally days of tinkering around with my PC, I'm back at square one, out a graphics card which cost $400+ and a bunch of games I can't play. I mean, hell, I could have got a console for that money. These days I spend more time trying to get the games to work, rather than actually playing them, which really pisses me off, because I'm short on time. This is far from the first time I've had technical difficulties, either. I'm always getting blue screens for one reason or another (and not just on this rig and operating system). Now I'm stuck in a sort of limbo, where I can't play new games because of this blue screen shit, and I can't play old games because the OS is too new.

DraQ

Arcane
Fuck PC gaming.

Yeah, that's right, I said it. Fuck PC gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love (and always have loved) playing video games. From the age of 5 when I first played Ultima III on my old Macintosh, to Diablo, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Gothic and Planescape on PC, I have been a huge PC gaming elitist snob who never touched a console, but seriously, I'm fed up.

I've sunk a significant amount of money into a PC, and spent money on a number of games. Only to discover that they won't run (despite far exceeding the minimum specs). Typical. So after spending hours downloading literally gigabytes of patches (don't developers play test their shit at alll?), I find myself getting blue screens. Great. A blue screen which gives minimal (if any) information that you need to fix the problem. Thanks Microsoft.

OK, ok, I've been through this before. Run registry cleaner. Use driver verifier to isolate any troublesome drivers. Reinstall my graphics card drivers. Reinstall my motherboard drivers. Nope, no success. Ok, I'll reinstall Windows 7. Same problem. OK, I'll try Windows XP. No go. My CPU, memory and GPU all passed stress tests. chkdsk doesn't find any problems.

So after literally days of tinkering around with my PC, I'm back at square one, out a graphics card which cost $400+ and a bunch of games I can't play. I mean, hell, I could have got a console for that money. These days I spend more time trying to get the games to work, rather than actually playing them, which really pisses me off, because I'm short on time. This is far from the first time I've had technical difficulties, either. I'm always getting blue screens for one reason or another (and not just on this rig and operating system). Now I'm stuck in a sort of limbo, where I can't play new games because of this blue screen shit, and I can't play old games because the OS is too new.
:butthurt:

the_shadow

Arcane
Use WinDbg to analyse the bluescreen dumb (C:\minidumps) and post that information here. BSODs are almost always faulty hardware, save the odd berzerk driver.

I've been told that the blue screen is suggestive of a problem with the display card (BCC 116), although problems with memory, the motherboard, the CPU, or display drivers can also result in that error code. I mean, that's just fantastic. I'll just chuck my entire rig out and buy another one.

spekkio

Arcane
It looks like your INT stat is too low to be a member of a glorious PC master race. I've switched from XP x86 to Win7 x64 recently and encountered zero problems with running old games so far (tested ~20).
Re-roll with higher INT or buy a console.

Delbaeth

Learned
Concerning old games, you could try Linux and Wine, you could be more lucky than with a new Windows OS.

the_shadow

Arcane
It looks like your INT stat is too low to be a member of a glorious PC master race. I've switched from XP x86 to Win7 x64 recently and encountered zero problems with running old games so far (tested ~20).
Re-roll with higher INT or buy a console.

And some people smoke and don't get lung cancer.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fuck PC gaming.

You know that the PS 4 and Xbone are incompatible with the older games right? You are pratically forced to buy a PS 4, a PS 3, a PS 2 to play console games and buy a PC to do anything else besides gamming, so I don't understand how consoles are magically a better alternative. Blue screens are mostly caused by hardware problems. Is this a totally new PC you are building or are you installing this graphics card on an older PC? Did you check out if the power source of you computer can handle the graphics card energy consumption?

Cazzeris

What games are you trying to run in your PC?

What are your PC specs?

Have you searched help on the Internet?

We can help you, but then you must give us more information.
And believe me, there's no point on buying a PS4/XBOXONE/WIIU.

Tytus

Arcane
"I lack the skills to operate a certain machine, therefore the machine is shit"

Cool story, bro.

the_shadow

Arcane

Cool story, bro.

LOL, what's with everyone parroting the assumption that I lack the skill to operate a computer? In my first post, I listed a number of diagnostic tests I have performed to identify the problem, to no avail.

The fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have had to even do this to begin with. Why in the holy name of hell do I need to view dumps of blue screens, selectively verify drivers, stress test the CPU/memory/GPU, update (and then roll back) drivers, and reinstall the entire OS, just to play a game?

As to the red ring of death, what do you expect, given it's Microsoft?

DeepOcean

Arcane

Cool story, bro.

LOL, what's with everyone parroting the assumption that I lack the skill to operate a computer? In my first post, I listed a number of diagnostic tests I have performed to identify the problem, to no avail.

The fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have had to even do this to begin with. Why in the holy name of hell do I need to view dumps of blue screens, selectively verify drivers, stress test the CPU/memory/GPU, update (and then roll back) drivers, and reinstall the entire OS, just to play a game?

As to the red ring of death, what do you expect, given it's Microsoft?
Confirmed retarded, ignore button engaged.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Well, sounds like some hardware is failing if you've tried so many OS's and drivers and stuff. It sucks, but you might be able to identify the faulty hardware by taking an individual piece out and replacing them one by one from another machine. You got any pals that have an old computer lying around somewhere? Once stuff stops crashing, you've found your problem piece. Unless there's more than one faulty piece, which is more of an annoyance.

EDIT:
I'm always getting blue screens for one reason or another (and not just on this rig and operating system)
Seems like you're doing something seriously wrong here.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Never had any problems running new popamolers on my PC (aside from shitty performance from games with high hardware reqs). You're either trolling or there's something wrong with your hardware. And older games on new systems? There are patches and instructions how to play older titles on a modern computers, there's dosbox. There are old games on gog and steam.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Shiting on PC gaming because you messed hardware?

Buy some closed Pc like Alienware or new Steam Machine and problem solved.
PS. as someone mentioned - this is not neoFAG. Wrong neoghbourhood.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I hardly get problems anymore these days with never games (post 2000).

It used to be a lot worse imo.

Couldn't play games because i didn't have enough ram (earth 2140), waiting 5 minutes for a level to load (Carmageddon)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom