Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Giving PoE another chance

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ The problem is that once you start skipping the dialogues, it is just constant combat and travelling, and the combat is really crap.

Lhynn

Arcane
^ The problem is that once you start skipping the dialogues, it is just constant combat and travelling, and the combat is really crap.
Well, the dialogue is really crap too. And theres no real exploration either.
Whatever that leaves you, thats where you can find some enjoyment out of PoE.

Bonerbill

Augur
Yeah I didn't care for either GM or Durance, I did like the Druid Hirvanis and I liked Aloth and Eder. Everyone else meh. The Druid class is very fun to play, some of the best AOEs and you can shape shift to a super tank

My nigga. Hiravias doesn't get enough love. I have to wonder if the people who call him "bland" are people who never used him at all, considering he and Eder has some of the most funniest lines in the game whenever they speak to one another.

Sentinel

Arcane
Gave it another shot now that i have my new pc and the game got patched so loading times are not cancer.
Dialogues are completely skippable and theres no reason not to skip them while reading on the wiki what the best rewards are, nothing worth reading other than your interactions with Durance and GM when i run into her i guess. Combat is still 1d100 based shit, and difficulty still comes down to their base defense being higher than your base attack or your base defense being lower than their base attack, that is literally all there is to combat.

That said the game plays a lot more smoothly so if you play it you wont get too frustrated, just bored.
Damn. Almost like BG2.

Lhynn

Arcane
Delusion and nostalgia goggles.
Go replay BG2. Your description of the combat fits both games perfectly (more BG2 than PoE).
It doesnt and ive explained why in detail.
I have them all installed.
Also i dont suffer from nostalgia, thats for weak minded cucks.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Damn. Almost like BG2.
Except nothing like BG2.
Go replay BG2. Your description of the combat fits both games perfectly (more so BG2 than PoE).
I replayed BG2 recently, it was really good...

And the dialogue isn't too bad in that game, even though I hate stories and dialogue. Especially if you make your own party and don't have to invite all those squeaky voiced bitches. The story and dialogue at that point is ok and you can skip it. And the combat is wayyyy better than PoE.

Well, the dialogue is really crap too. And theres no real exploration either.
Whatever that leaves you, thats where you can find some enjoyment out of PoE.
It made me just play NWN1/2 again instead. It bugs me having a game I paid for that I only got to about level 8 or something in, but it was just too boring to force myself to play. Especially after recently playing other modern RPGs like D:OS that were pretty good.

Sentinel

Arcane
Apparently that fits you perfectly.
Low effort troll. This shithole of a subforum is filled with shills now that most quality posters have moved on i see.
I'm a troll because I called you out on your nostalgiafagging and shit post?
Alright buddy.

Damn. Almost like BG2.
Except nothing like BG2.
Go replay BG2. Your description of the combat fits both games perfectly (more so BG2 than PoE).
I replayed BG2 recently, it was really good...
And the combat is wayyyy better than PoE.
Yeah man I loved kiting everyone every 10 seconds as well as the retarded path finding. Was an awesome experience.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Eh? I never saw any kiting or bad path finding in that game. Did you play it with 1 character or something? I played with a party and my tank would aggro shit, my healer would keep tank alive, my wizzies and rangers would nuke shit to death. Fun times.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I gave it an honest effort and put about two dozen hours into the base game before giving up. Pretty much have the same criticisms of it as everyone else -- most of the game felt generic, overdesigned, and uninspired.

The White March supposedly improved a lot so I'll eventually pick it up for cheap and try again. I've noticed that I have a tendency to get irritated with games when I first play them, but I like them better when I eventually come back with adjusted expectations. So we'll see.

Sentinel

Arcane
Eh? I never saw any kiting or bad path finding in that game. Did you play it with 1 character or something? I played with a party and my tank would aggro shit, my healer would keep tank alive, my wizzies and rangers would nuke shit to death. Fun times.
I have played through it both solo and with a full party.
Your description of the combat sounds like my PoE experience. Except the monster AI had some glimpses of intelligence and actually tried to fuck the healers and damage dealers instead of just allowing me to tank and spank.

Lhynn

Arcane
What kind of a cuck takes offense of being called a troll here? Anyway, you havent elaborated on your claim, fucking pussy.
Alright buddy.
Im not your buddy.

Yeah man I loved kiting everyone every 10 seconds
What were you even kiting? other than the ocassional really slow enemy with no access to ranged attacks in a 1vparty fight, maybe some ogres. You wont usually be kiting. And the fact that character speed is a factor in some rare fights is a good thing, it means combat does vary from encounter to encounter.

as well as the retarded path finding.
As i was playing the latest version of poe last night, i faced a wolf with my character, the warriorcuck and the stupid mage. I obviously selected all and sent them to attack the wolf. the warriorcuck engaged the wolf and my character started running around the warrior cuck while the wolf ran after my character. This went on for like 10-15 seconds, then the wolf just died, without ever being able to attack. All this while i just started at my screen in disbelief :lol:

You shameless cunt, pathfinding in this nightmare of a game is worse than in vanilla PS:T, and it has gotten more updates than WoW by this point, its fucking embarrasing.

Lhynn

Arcane
For some reason all the tacked-on Kickstarter NPCs really bothers me and breaks the fourth wall.
:lol: They actually made it so that if you murder them your rep goes down. One of the genuinely fun parts of the game, murdering them for their loot is utterly ruined.

Lhynn

Arcane
What kind of an asshole would ignore ghosts? If i ever saw a ghost i dont know what id do, but ignoring it wouldnt be an option.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
What kind of a cuck takes offense of being called a troll here? Anyway, you havent elaborated on your claim, fucking pussy.
Alright buddy.
Im not your buddy.

Yeah man I loved kiting everyone every 10 seconds
What were you even kiting? other than the ocassional really slow enemy with no access to ranged attacks in a 1vparty fight, maybe some ogres. You wont usually be kiting. And the fact that character speed is a factor in some rare fights is a good thing, it means combat does vary from encounter to encounter.

as well as the retarded path finding.
As i was playing the latest version of poe last night, i faced a wolf with my character, the warriorcuck and the stupid mage. I obviously selected all and sent them to attack the wolf. the warriorcuck engaged the wolf and my character started running around the warrior cuck while the wolf ran after my character. This went on for like 10-15 seconds, then the wolf just died, without ever being able to attack. All this while i just started at my screen in disbelief :lol:

You shameless cunt, pathfinding in this nightmare of a game is worse than in vanilla PS:T, and it has gotten more updates than WoW by this point, its fucking embarrasing.
I'm not offended buddy, calm down. We're all friends here.
I didn't elaborate because your original post was retarded and had no elaboration whatsoever.

For some reason all the tacked-on Kickstarter NPCs really bothers me and breaks the fourth wall.
:lol: They actually made it so that if you murder them your rep goes down. One of the genuinely fun parts of the game, murdering them for their loot is utterly ruined.
There's a weapon that rewards you for killing them.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm not offended buddy, calm down.
Im always calm.

We're all friends here.
No we arent, what are you? some kind of fag?

I didn't elaborate because your original post was retarded and had no elaboration whatsoever.
Nigga, by the time you registered in the codex everything that could be said about poe was said, nothing has changed. Also, my claims are both accurate and fairly obvious at this point.
There's a weapon that rewards you for killing them.
Thats a neat concept. Old as dirt, but neat.

Sentinel

Arcane
my claims are both accurate and fairly obvious at this point.
Nah, they aren't. If you had any bit of honesty and actually bothered comparing PoE's gameplay to the other cRPGs of its kind without your hivemind-induced cynicism, bias and nostalgia, you'd realize that. But you're too far gone.
There's no point arguing over this. None of us will convince the other,
my friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom