Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

pippin

If inxile included the 3 original BT games in their 2004 release, does that mean this woman is still getting some money out of them?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Of course, and Tim Cain is getting money from Bethesda from the sales of Fallout 1 & 2. It's how the world works. Listen to the birds singing. Smell the flowers.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Everyone who makes economic deals with the chinese will lose in the end.

Pretty much this. They will bend you over and rearrange your piping.
Really depends on context. The company I worked for also sold machines and services to China. While business and profit margins where shit, that was a huge growth market we didn't want to lose out on. While they tried copying our machines, they were simply shit at it. That was my personal problem with them: Lots of projects, but not much money and hardly any competence.
Risk vs potential, I guess. Wouldn't say that you can't do business with them, though. You just have to be smart about it and have some local people you can trust.
But it's probably different with software and stuff.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My prediction:

KS will be a rough ride, party because of Interplay/Herve but also because I don't think a lot of people even know about Dragon Wars.
And somehow, down the road, this will be about transgender/women developers having a hard time. I would bet money on this. A KS will put her in the spotlight and trolls will emerge and suddenly she will have received hate and bigotry (but maybe it's actually just salty feedback) and suddenly everything will be about her and not about any game. She will start a Patreon or something and maybe create a webseries of Sarkeesian-eqsue youtube videos, or maybe draw comics about it. Not because she thinks these will make a difference at all, but because it's fucking easy as hell to cash in from to stupid LGBT sympathizers (and for the record, I am a LGBT sympathizer, just not a stupid one).

Fargo is gonna keep on ignoring her, the codex will chomp popcorn on the sidelines, and the cancer of gamergate and the last year's debate over "women game developer hell" or whatever you wanna call it will grow.

V_K

Arcane
And somehow, down the road, this will be about transgender/women developers having a hard time. I would bet money on this. A KS will put her in the spotlight and trolls will emerge and suddenly she will have received hate and bigotry (but maybe it's actually just salty feedback) and suddenly everything will be about her and not about any game.
I think it'll be a bit more complicated.
They do have some street cred from back in the days after all, and the game in question isn't some artsy shit, but (presumably) a hardcore oldschool RPG. On the other hand, they're two transgendered women, living as a family - you can't go more LGBT than that, so it's a safe be they'll receive much more than "just salty feedback". So in the end I foresee two major factions emerging: the "Who cares if they're LGBT, let them make the game" crowd and the "Who cares about the game, all LGBT must die" one.
As to what stance Heinemann would take is also up to debate. On the one hand she got quite an ego, on the other - I don't remember her indulging into SJW stuff. Maybe she'll just go "screw you haters, you're nobodies and I made some legendary stuff". But then there's the Heinemann vs Cranford controversy....

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
And somehow, down the road, this will be about transgender/women developers having a hard time. I would bet money on this. A KS will put her in the spotlight and trolls will emerge and suddenly she will have received hate and bigotry (but maybe it's actually just salty feedback) and suddenly everything will be about her and not about any game.
They do have some street cred from back in the days after all, and the game in question isn't some artsy shit, but (presumably) a hardcore oldschool RPG. On the other hand, they're two transgendered women, living as a family - you can't go more LGBT than that, so it's a safe be they'll receive much more than "just salty feedback". So in the end I foresee two major factions emerging: the "Who cares if they're LGBT, let them make the game" crowd and the "Who cares about the game, all LGBT must die" one.
As to what stance Heinemann would take is also up to debate. On the one hand she got quite an ego, on the other - I don't remember her indulging into SJW stuff. Maybe she'll just go "screw you haters, you're nobodies and I made some legendary stuff". But then there's the Heinemann vs Cranford controversy....
Maybe some people will poke fun at the trans thing, but I don't think there will be any "all LGBT must die" comments. However, that may very well be how someone who likes to play the victim would interpret it.

Darkzone

Arcane
Shaker has recieved 244k. This will be probably around 20k.
The problem of the Shaker campagne was, that they talked about how they love to make RPGs, but not what a RPG they want to make. Simply saying that they want to make an Oldschool RPG is not enough. Also this 2 RPG thing was a mixed message. In a Kickstarter video you got to make clear to the backers what you really want to make, what is the story and how it will look like.

Last edited:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rebecca Heineman can code fantastic optimized games that can be stored on a few 1.44 MB floppy discs.

Many modern "developers" don't know what a floppy disc is and use 1GB just for the intro :)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Crap... money to Herve? Man, Jesus could come back and get everyone to heaven, if Herve gone too, I would prefer to go to hell instead. Sorry Rebecca but if you didn't even done some research on the reputation of Herve and how many people see him, I don't think you have what it takes for this kickstarter.

Darkzone

Arcane
Rebecca Heineman can code fantastic optimized games that can be stored on a few 1.44 MB floppy discs.
Many modern "developers" don't know what a floppy disc is and use 1GB just for the intro :)
Bard's Tale III had as i believe 2 doublesided 5.25 disks and Dragon Wars had 2 3.5 dics.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Nah. I think Zed is right. I missed (actively ignored) the LGBT/gamergate/womyn internet-drama of late. But from what I gathered (against my wishes), there is a distinct possibilty of another faction:
"Do not criticize them or the game! LGBT defense force assemble!"
Usually the most destructive faction. "LGBT must die"-trolls can conceivably be ignored. But from what I've seen the SJW-crowd will muddy any kind of game-focussed discussion. In this case Jeckyll and Hyde would need to keep aloof from all that and wade through far more shit to find opinions actually pertinent to the game. Assuming they don't let themselves get pulled into that drama. Which I assume would turn out bad for the game.

Of course there is also the possibility of "You only criticize our game because you hate LGBT!" But until proven otherwise I'd give the benefit of the doubt.

Furthermore I consider that nobody should willingly bind themselves to Caen. And strongly advise against such a move.
7we8P.gif

Gozma

Arcane
My prediction:

KS will be a rough ride, party because of Interplay/Herve but also because I don't think a lot of people even know about Dragon Wars.
And somehow, down the road, this will be about transgender/women developers having a hard time. I would bet money on this. A KS will put her in the spotlight and trolls will emerge and suddenly she will have received hate and bigotry (but maybe it's actually just salty feedback) and suddenly everything will be about her and not about any game. She will start a Patreon or something and maybe create a webseries of Sarkeesian-eqsue youtube videos, or maybe draw comics about it. Not because she thinks these will make a difference at all, but because it's fucking easy as hell to cash in from to stupid LGBT sympathizers (and for the record, I am a LGBT sympathizer, just not a stupid one).

This should actually be Burger's intentional strategy from the outset because there is zero percent change of anything else working

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
To be honest, Shaker was just EPIC. As in EPIC DISASTER. Thorvalla had its problems, but it was no where near as badly done as Shaker.

Darkzone

Arcane
Guido Henkel has learned from Thorvalla and Deathfire had a better campaign. But still this was not good enough he missed it by around 190k.

Amasius

Augur
Crap... money to Herve? Man, Jesus could come back and get everyone to heaven, if Herve gone too, I would prefer to go to hell instead. Sorry Rebecca but if you didn't even done some research on the reputation of Herve and how many people see him, I don't think you have what it takes for this kickstarter.
Yeah, this could actually be good with Jaquays being involved, but there is no way that Herve gets any money from me.

Darkzone

Arcane
Yeah, this could actually be good with Jaquays being involved, but there is no way that Herve gets any money from me.
So Herve stole something from you? Or raped you or your mama or someone in your family? Show me where he did touch you. Or did the bad french man hit you somewhere.

People. You are like irrational children: I want a oldschool RPG, but not with Herve's help. I don't like Herve, because he brocke my childhood dreams..Buuuhhhh.
Herve is just a businessman that has made mistakes, nothing more nothing less. And what he owns is a name, and that is the only thing left from once a greater economic power in the gaming industry. And even if the Devil would make a good game, i would buy it.

Argument: But he could have sold Black Isle.
Black Isle is just a name, nothing more nothing less. He did not own the people who worked there. They could have gone away and formed an other studio. But wait.. didn't something like that happend while Fargo was the boss? YES! Troika Games was formed in 1998.
Even if Herve alone would program and design a new Dragon Wars, and if it would be good, i would buy it. Nobody here was ever harmed by Herve. So stop acting like he did something bad to you, because you are all grown up men / women / drags and not children.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
Darkstone is Herve Caen?
If i would be Herve, i would cry and curse the day that i have bought up Interplay and invested so much money into it. No i have a more healthy attitude at this topic.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, Darkzone, there is a difference between a business man and a crook and Herve is shady as hell, he collected law suits like a mad man through the years for things like not paying his employees for months, for trying to sell publish rights for Bioware games without asking Bioware, for not paying taxes and the list goes on and on. His investment company gone bankrupt, he managed to sell most of the Interplay very valuable IPs without getting enough money to make a single game in years without mentioning that huge fiasco with Bethesda where he was so dumb with the contract he signed that allowed Bethesda to rip him off royaly with that Fallout Online fiasco.

I hate Fargo used car salesman talks but Herve makes him look like a choir boy. Look to Fargo, his company only made crap so far but, at least, it made some games and Fargo was on a much worse position than Herve when he left Interplay.

Sorry, but you calling people children for not trusting a man with such track record seems to me very foolish. If you want to give him money, fine, but remember that Rebecca kickstarter must be very clear about Herve involvement, if he is only licencing the name (Fuck, if I dealt with Herve I would demand a contract and would analyse each single line on it.) or if he has any control. If he has any control on the project, don't cry when he later invent any bullshit when he gets your money for nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom