Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

Darkzone

Arcane
People what do you have against Herve. Interplay was in trouble long before him. And didn't he put so around 35 mio into Interplay to prolong its death? Without him there would be no Icewind Dale II, Lionheart, Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance II and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.
So why do you not spare the man his smack. And perhaps Ms. Burger can work with him very well?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Interesting facts while searching the US trademark site for Dragon Wars™:

In 2001 3DO applied for the trademark to Dragon Wars (the previous trademark had expired). But in 2003 they dropped it.

I wonder if they were going to do a Dragon Wars game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weird - I found a post by a Herve/Interplay fanboy from December 2012. Roguey might be interested.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50434

In 2001 3DO applied for the trademark to Dragon Wars (the previous trademark had expired). But in 2003 they dropped it.

They might have wanted to create a game called that. It's a pretty cool name.

Diablo169

Arcane
After that criminal crowd funding Interplay pulled any connection from them to a Kickstarter is going to be a rather large black mark.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Looks like this was it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Rage

Dragon Rage was originally going to be called "Dragon Wars of Might and Magic". However as the story did not truly coincide with the Might and Magic universe the title was dropped.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
For those of us who don't know Hervé, what's a good starting point for research?

This site (as well as NMA, DaC etc...) all started after the Interplay Shit Storm™. My memory is a bit rusty but here is a quick breakdown:

PC sales are dropping, Console sales are growing like fucking crazy. Herve drops the development of The Black Hound (Baldur's Gate III), And Van Burien (Fallout 3) to make console shit like F:BOS. Hilarity (and OUTRAGE ensue). Interplay continues to dive straight down into financial ruin. At one point people are no longer getting any checks, and many people finally abandon the sinking ship. Obsidian, inXile and Troika are then formed.

I *swear* there are some good threads on here detailing all the Interplay OUTRAGE (my gawd that was basically ALL we had here as topics at one point). A google search of the codex with the word Interplay could probably dig some hilarious shit up. This whole site is practically founded on all that drama from back in the day. :lol:

EDIT: there is a very old article here about it: http://burgerbecky.livejournal.com/2004/06/03/

"Interplay's ship came in, too bad it was from France." :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
People what do you have against Herve. Interplay was in trouble long before him. And didn't he put so around 35 mio into Interplay to prolong its death? Without him there would be no Icewind Dale II, Lionheart, Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance II and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

0 out of 10 for not including selling Bethesda the rights to make fallout 3-5.

Without him there might have been BG3: The Black Hound, he decided to extend the DnD license for console releases only so they could put out more slam dunk dark alliances and then never did. Oh yeah he also said no to another fallout tactics but yes to FoBoS. Interplay would have died without him for sure but they might have produced a another gem and a good for what it is instead of a few more turds.

Darkzone

Arcane
More controversy.
Without him there might have been BG3: The Black Hound, he decided to extend the DnD license for console releases only so they could put out more slam dunk dark alliances and then never did. Oh yeah he also said no to another fallout tactics but yes to FoBoS. Interplay would have died without him for sure but they might have produced a another gem and a good for what it is instead of a few more turds.
Yes while i made a joke about the games that he pushed, you should know that he invested in 1999 or 2000 the 35mio. So i highly doubt that without his money they could even produce games in 2001. He has made this very stupid mistake of putting The Black Hound and Van Buren down as projects, but Fargo made the mistakes to produce a lot of costly games, that did not sell. Ok Harve did this also, but at least he has paid the 35mio, for doing it. Fargo also wanted / pushed the whole time to go console, what Harve did.
So i would not blame Harve alone, but see the situration as a whole. And without Harve, Fargo and the problems that Interplay had, there would be no inXile, Obsidian, CD Project, no GOG.com and no Witcher games. CDP did rise, because of the Interplay games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fargo had some kind of Plan B. He's made allusions to having wanted to sell Interplay (or parts of it) to a Chinese company, or something like that, and that Herve, the majority shareholder, wouldn't allow it.

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
Why would you even consider doing business with Interplay at this point?

Because IPLY owns the IP, and said IP is the only thing Heinemann mk 2015 could pitch?
There's nothing to be gained from using that IP, though. In terms of pimping the campaign it'll all come down to her involvement in creating those old games and for that you don't need Interplay or any existing IP.

Having a marginally classic but long forgotten IP to go with a nothing is still better than having just nothing :smug: Besides, a couple of years ago the same could have been said about Wasteland.
That's just it: I don't think the trade-off is worth it. They gain virtually nothing by cutting a deal with Herve (an IP few remember that might get them a couple of bucks, and the association with the hobo of video game, uh, publishers, I guess?) and they lose pretty much everything, including the game itself. Fargo was able to secure the rights and own Wasteland 2 - that's very different from what's apparently happening here.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fargo had some kind of Plan B. He's made allusions to having wanted to sell Interplay (or parts of it) to a Chinese company, or something like that, and that Herve, the majority shareholder, wouldn't allow it.
Ok the sale would not go well, this Plan B would backfire. Belive me i have lost a fortune, due to the stealing of technologies by the chinese companies. I will never work again with the chinese, and for me who does this is plain stupid.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ok the sale would not go well, this Plan B would backfire. Belive me i have lost a fortune, due to the stealing of technologies by the chinese companies. I will never work again with the chinese, and for me who does this is plain stupid.

Ever heard of these guys? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent

They own a large percentage of Epic Games. Yes, the company that makes the Unreal Engine: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/21/tencent-sunk-330-million-into-epic-games-owns-nearly-half-of-s/

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reminder of the Matt Chat Urqheart interview where he asked Herve to sell Black Isle to another publisher and flat out refused preferring to watch one profitable part of his company die a slow death presumably.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Weird - I found a post by a Herve/Interplay fanboy from December 2012. Roguey might be interested.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50434

They might have wanted to create a game called that. It's a pretty cool name.
I liked this part:

Trip Hawkins doesn't run EA anymore, THQ is now owned by a capitol company (or will be soon), Blizact is owned by a french mega corperation, and SEGA was bought up by a Yakuza front company.
Interplay: it's like all huge corporations you hate except it has no money.

Darkzone

Arcane
From the wiki:
Copying claims:
Many of Tencent's software and services are remarkably similar to those of competitors. The founder and chairman, Huateng "Pony Ma" Ma, famously said, "[To] copy is not evil." A former CEO and President of SINA.com, Wang Zhidong, said, "Pony Ma is a notorious king of copying." Jack Ma of Alibaba Group stated, "the problem in Tencent is no innovation; all things are copies."

They own a large percentage of Epic Games. Yes, the company that makes the Unreal Engine: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/21/tencent-sunk-330-million-into-epic-games-owns-nearly-half-of-s/
As a jew you should have a good memory, so memorise my words for the future, that you may call me out on them if i'm wrong: Everyone who makes economic deals with the chinese will lose in the end.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I *swear* there are some good threads on here detailing all the Interplay OUTRAGE (my gawd that was basically ALL we had here as topics at one point). A google search of the codex with the word Interplay could probably dig some hilarious shit up. This whole site is practically founded on all that drama from back in the day. :lol:

So Herve is kind of like the Codex's sperm donor....?

:troll:

imweasel

Reminder of the Matt Chat Urqheart interview where he asked Herve to sell Black Isle to another publisher and flat out refused preferring to watch one profitable part of his company die a slow death presumably.
Yep. And then one day Herve just decided to close the place down completely out of the blue. Not even the employees knew anything. I was quite shocked back in the day when I heard that Black Isle was shut down.

Fuck Herve and anybody that wants to work together with that moron. I would have given Burger some cash if the pitch was good, but now I can't even give her a pity dollar.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:incline: At least Herve is good for something. Better than putting Cyberia 2 or some crap.

Mustawd

Everyone who makes economic deals with the chinese will lose in the end.

Pretty much this. They will bend you over and rearrange your piping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom