Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
A new IP might work just as well yeah. The Dragon Wars name only means something to a small minority of gamers. It's incredibly generic-sounding otherwise. And it sounds like a strategy game.

They should just mention the new game is "in the tradition of Bard's Tale and Dragon Wars" and call it something more interesting.
That'd be the sensible approach. The only reason there was even a dragon in the original game was that they shoehorned it in during the last stage of development:
These design improvements came in this next game, Dragon Wars.[citation needed] In essence, the game was a fusion of Bard's Tale and design philosophy pioneered in Wasteland. Until a month before release the game was developed as "Bard's Tale IV".[2] However, the rights to this title were still held by Electronic Arts, and thus a new title and setting were needed for the game. It was derived in part from the Sumerian legends of Gilgamesh, with the chief villain of the game being named Namtar. Since to this point the game didn't feature any dragons, the new title meant that Heineman had to add one.[2]
And also:
Interplay advertisements displayed the slogan "Bard's Tale Fans Rejoice!" above the game's name, and mentioned Dragon Wars ' ability to import Bard's Tale characters.
There may be a market for a niche game with a Sumerian-themed setting as long as they hit the right notes with their pitch and aren't too ambitious with their funding targets. If Tangiers could get funded, DW2 or whatever it ends up getting called can get funded. That's what Kickstarter is should be for.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:lol: Yeah something tells me you need more than butthurt, for a successful Kickstarter.

I don't know why these old devs didn't make P&P RPGs and sell them on something like RPGNow. At least that way they could show they've still got it and build an audience.

Actually beside me finding Becky's buttthurt and transparent schemes pretty hilarious, i'm a hundred percent agnostic regarding the outcome : tangible accomplishments can very well come from places of pettiness and anger.
And i can also conceive that if Heineman is half as brilliant people (and her) say she is, she has to fuel that creativity with a little bit of madness and unreasonable behaviour.

Which is totally the impression i had watching her in MattChat by the way...

Last edited:

Apexeon

Arcane
WUT? like a week ago she was awkwardly begging Fargo to let her work on the new Bard's Tale IV... now she suddenly has a new project?

FAKE EDIT: Found leaked images of all the work so far:

n0xbuTc.jpg

That looks about the right amount of project development effort for the "Hype nostalgia milking crew".

Darkzone

Arcane
Studio Fawn
When do you expect it to be ready?
As a backer i have pledged to your project not because you are a tranny, but because you have shown me something interesting. And if i would have backed your project just because you a tranny, then it would be unfair to other people who are not trannies and this would be in a way 'sexist' and also not fair towards you.
In the codex you have to have a thicker skin and learn to give a shit about insults and poor treatment. Here you cannot expect to be treated political correct or comfy, but expect a stronger opinion, and that is codexes strongest side.
About treatment of different devs: I can say that you have to prove here yourself, because if you would work for inXile or Obsidian, people would lick every shit from your ass, like dogs. Therefore: Names matter (are important), and the best way to be treated well here, is to make yourself a name. And the only way to make your self a name here, is to produce an good RPG, because creativity alone is not sufficient. And ones your credibility is established nobody will give a fuck, about who or what you are. The best example is the different thinking about Burgerbecky and Jaquay: One of them has a very good reputation based on her past work, and the other has to prove herself a mentally stable and that her self given credibility is correct. But nobody here has questioned their abilities in this thread just because they are trannies. Only Himmy has implicated this implicit in a post, that we would do this.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Burger Becky is now posting on RPGWatch: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27542

Hello Burger,

first I like to tell you how much I adore your work. The Cover of my C64 copy of BT3 was a worshipping object of my youth.

The above comment just tried to point out that it was you, but technically not "she", but your former "he" that created these games AFAIK.

No offence meant, just a comment on pc.

:lol: Oh, Watch.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
She confirms that she's working with Interplay to use the Dragon Wars name.

Herve has to be an undead being at this point. A weak one, who is always around 1 hp, but you can't kill him he just wakes up again tomorrow.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Herve has to be an undead being at this point. A weak one, who is always around 1 hp, but you can't kill him he just wakes up again tomorrow.

Thanks!

:keepmymoney:

Why ANYONE would be so stupid to make a game FOR ANOTHER COMPANY is beyond stupid. Especially in this day and age of Kickstarter.

Make your own new IP. Do your Kickstarter homework, and launch it.

pippin

FNV-MrHouse02c-s.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The enemy of your enemy is your friend in this case. :M

m_s0

Arcane
Why would you even consider doing business with Interplay at this point? They're a punchline. They have no money, or at least not enough to fund game development. Just to spite Fargo and ruin your own reputation? And on top of that the Dragon Wars brand is completely worthless and unknown to anyone but a handful of nerds. I just don't get it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Why would you even consider doing business with Interplay at this point? They're a punchline. They have no money, or at least not enough to fund game development. Just to spite Fargo and ruin your own reputation? And on top of that the Dragon Wars brand is completely worthless and unknown to anyone but a handful of nerds. I just don't get it.

Herve just wants gullible consumers to pay and fund a game for him. Thankfully it didn't work for that Battle Chess game, and hopefully It won't for this one either.

mondblut

Arcane
You claim you are fans of RPGs, but you piss on the creative people that actually make them.

"creative people" need an occasional kick in the balls to keep them from being too self-absorbed.

And mind you, removing balls in advance does not make anybody an exception.

m_s0

Arcane
Why would you even consider doing business with Interplay at this point?

Because IPLY owns the IP, and said IP is the only thing Heinemann mk 2015 could pitch?
There's nothing to be gained from using that IP, though. In terms of pimping the campaign it'll all come down to her involvement in creating those old games and for that you don't need Interplay or any existing IP.

mondblut

Arcane
Why would you even consider doing business with Interplay at this point?

Because IPLY owns the IP, and said IP is the only thing Heinemann mk 2015 could pitch?
There's nothing to be gained from using that IP, though. In terms of pimping the campaign it'll all come down to her involvement in creating those old games and for that you don't need Interplay or any existing IP.

Having a marginally classic but long forgotten IP to go with a nothing is still better than having just nothing :smug: Besides, a couple of years ago the same could have been said about Wasteland.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
All she needs to do is make a new original IP (of which she owns and has total control over). Name drop Bards Tale and Dragon Wars (see Obsidians Pillars of Eternity to see how well that worked...) and done.

There is absolutely NO reason to work with Herve at all (and give him money, instead of yourself). Period.

You would have to be a complete idiot to give another person money instead of yourself.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Even if she was attempting to make the RPG of my dreams, I wouldn't give a fucking cent to something involving Herve and Interplay.

pippin

This is my opinion as well. Interplay, from what I gather, is known by a niche of retro gamers, and they will obviously know better when it comes to this kind of maneuvers.

After finding out Herve is involved I've gone from not giving a shit about this to actively hoping it fails in the most spectacular and embarrassing way for all involved.

Anybody who gets in bed with that man is a fucking chump who deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Program:
Rebecca Ann Heineman

Designed by:
Brian Fargo, Paul O'Connor

Produced by:
Brian Fargo

So basically she did just the programming for this? Not any of the design?

Wonder what Fargo thinks of this...:M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can't believe they went to Interplay... seriously, even with the Black Isle name & guys like Chris Taylor from the original Fallout, all they could raise was $6,630. And that was at the height of the kickstarter frenzy. Do you need any more proof that simply slapping an old name won't bring you free money? If anything, it will just make them look sleazy, especially since the last Interplay crowdfund campaign went nowhere.

Hell, I'll just leave this here:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Program:
Rebecca Ann Heineman

Designed by:
Brian Fargo, Paul O'Connor

Produced by:
Brian Fargo

So basically she did just the programming for this? Not any of the design?

Wonder what Fargo thinks of this...:M

Game credits weren't as simple back then. Programmers often had an overwhelming influence on projects.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not to mention, if you wanted to make a game, you'd better program most of it. Hence, Wizardry VII, written, programmed, mapped and designed by D.W. Bradley, with a little help by a few others. And that's one of the major CRPGs of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom